olive oil

Options
Casi23
Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
Alright -

I know olive oil is the "good fat" but I still don't like seeing the 2 TBSP = 19 grams of fat! Sometimes I use it to cook and it puts me over my fat grams every time.

So here is my question: If I saute some veggies in a TBSP of olive oil and garlic, does the oil burn off and so not count? Or should I count it?

It's not a huge concern...I found other liquids to use as alternatives - or I'll cut the oil amount in half and use various juices (apple, lemon, orange) or fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth instead.

I know there are ways to work around it but I prefer how the oil cooks.

What are your thoughts? When used to saute, do we count the oil or does it burn off?

Any advice would help!

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW and it was one of the good health guidelines to literally measure out and use (cook in or drizzle on or mix in) 2 tsp. daily of a healthy oil (olive being one of them). I would continue to use the olive oil but maybe not use so much.
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    I would count it because it still has calories. If it was burning more calories to eat and digest it than how many calories are in it, then I'd say don't bother. I don't count celery because it actually burns more calories than it's worth... so why bother. Olive oil, on the other hand... I'd count. You can ignore the red negative number under the "fat" category.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Short answer - it has fat and your body needs it. Fat sources are calorie dense. That's just the way it is.

One other thing with cooking veggies in olive oil - it doesn't burn off - and you shouldn't be using olive oil (especially extra virgin!) to saute at high temps as it turns the oil rancid or pushes it past its smoke point. Olive oil has a low smoke point - cook on low/medium temps with it.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I use grapeseed oil in place of olive oil because you can cook at high temps and it doesn't burn. I order mine from Wild Tree but they have it in the oil section at most grocery stores. There have been a lot of good things that have been said lately about it but one of the things I am hesitantly excited about is the fact that is shown to raise good cholesterol. Plus it has a lighter flavor that doesn't overwhelm food. You should check it out. I have olive oil in my cupboard but I have to admit, I rarely use it since I discovered grapeseed oil.
  • ncocci989
    Options
    I found using the spray works just as well and had zero calories?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    One other thing with cooking veggies in olive oil - it doesn't burn off - and you shouldn't be using olive oil (especially extra virgin!) to saute at high temps as it turns the oil rancid or pushes it past its smoke point. Olive oil has a low smoke point - cook on low/medium temps with it.

I had no idea that olive oil wasn't universal...that you can't or shouldn't use it for everything. Interesting! As you can tell, I'm not much of a chef, though I'm trying to get better.

What would you suggest for sauteeing veggies?
  • mdale2
    Options

I had no idea that olive oil wasn't universal...that you can't or shouldn't use it for everything. Interesting! As you can tell, I'm not much of a chef, though I'm trying to get better.

I use ghee, butter, and coconut oil. They do add to calorie content of food, but they give richer flavor and are healthy fat sources.

Olive oil is okay if you're roasting at medium temps in the oven - green beans, asparagus, potatoes - are all good cooked this way. It's just med/high skillet sauteeing I try to avoid.

Sesame oil works well for stir fry, too.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I use ghee, butter, and coconut oil. They do add to calorie content of food, but they give richer flavor and are healthy fat sources.

Olive oil is okay if you're roasting at medium temps in the oven - green beans, asparagus, potatoes - are all good cooked this way. It's just med/high skillet sauteeing I try to avoid.

Coconut oil is actually considered a saturated fatty acid and you shouldn't cook with it since those are more closely related to heart disease.

Stick with your canola, olive, sunflower, flaxseed, etc because those are either poly or mono-unsaturated fats that are better for your health.
  • mdale2
    Options

Coconut oil is actually considered a saturated fatty acid and you shouldn't cook with it since those are more closely related to heart disease.

Stick with your canola, olive, sunflower, flaxseed, etc because those are either poly or mono-unsaturated fats that are better for your health.

I think sat fat has been given an unbelievably bad name in modern nutrition - And yes, I understand I'm in a minority position here and could be debated back and forth, ten ways to Sunday, so I respectfully disagree. But to each their own - there are so many varieties of oil and cooking fat out there, we'll all find something we enjoy that works!

I'll continue to use my coconut oil for high temps.

Agreed that MUFA oils are good for health, but the smoke point still applies - flax is a good choice of oil, but it's not a good cooking oil. Same with EVOO, walnut oil, almond oil - not good at high temps. They're very good choices for salad dressings, though.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Grapeseed oil is PERFECT for high temps! You should give it a try for some variation.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I have never had a problem with using olive oil at higher temps. I use olive oil for cooking just about everything. I watch food network and they don't seem to have a problem using EVOO at high temps.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I think sat fat has been given an unbelievably bad name in modern nutrition - And yes, I understand I'm in a minority position here and could be debated back and forth, ten ways to Sunday, so I respectfully disagree. But to each their own - there are so many varieties of oil and cooking fat out there, we'll all find something we enjoy that works!

I'll continue to use my coconut oil for high temps.

Agreed that MUFA oils are good for health, but the smoke point still applies - flax is a good choice of oil, but it's not a good cooking oil. Same with EVOO, walnut oil, almond oil - not good at high temps. They're very good choices for salad dressings, though.

I'd rather not take my chances since there are SOOO many other healthier alternatives.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with using olive oil at higher temps. I use olive oil for cooking just about everything. I watch food network and they don't seem to have a problem using EVOO at high temps.

My smoke detector and I would like to respectfully disagree :laugh:
    Luckily I don't do a lot of stuff that requires high oil temperatures.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I found using the spray works just as well and had zero calories?

The oil spray only has "0 calories" because the serving size is so minute (how do you press a button for 1/4 or 1/2 second & coat an entire pan?) Chances are, you're spraying 10-20 or more calories worth of oil into the pan.

I do use olive oil & canola oil spray often. You just have to understand it's still OIL and it still has calories regardless of what the Nutrition Info. says. Manufacturers are pretty good tricksters when it comes to getting around posting the actual nutrition information on some products.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    2Tbsp of olive oil will sautee or oven roast enough veggies for my entire family....are you using 2 Tbsp for the entire batch - if so and you're only eating 25% of that amount, you should only log 1/2 Tbsp of the oil???? Just a thought.

I cook with EVOO all the time and so far so good!
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that olive oil is better for you uncooked (eg when you put it on salads)..something to do with how your body digests the fat. Has anyone else heard this?

Also, on an unrelated note- I've started eating lots of oily fish (herring, mackerel, salmon) I've cut out red meat and others fatty foods...but it means that my fat count is higher than I would like (but still under my daily goal). How 'good' is this 'good' oil?

Thanks!
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow-

Thanks everyone for your thoughts- I never realized that you should use different oils for various temperatures. I am not to savvy in the kitchen so this really opened my eyes.

I don't really notice much of a flavor from the oil. That's why I've been swapping it out for juices or fat free broth. But I am definitely going to try some of the different oils...I'm really interested to see what they taste like.

Also - DaisyJane - I've never heard that before - I would love a knowledgeable response from one of our MFP buddies!:glasses:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I read somewhere that olive oil is better for you uncooked (eg when you put it on salads)..something to do with how your body digests the fat. Has anyone else heard this?

Also, on an unrelated note- I've started eating lots of oily fish (herring, mackerel, salmon) I've cut out red meat and others fatty foods...but it means that my fat count is higher than I would like (but still under my daily goal). How 'good' is this 'good' oil?

Thanks!

It's better uncooked because of the previously mentioned low smoke point turning it rancid. And incidentally, coconut oil is a *natural* saturated fat (worlds apart from trans fats and man-made substances or even animal fat) with many health *benefits* in it's raw unrefined state. Check out the research on it sometime. :smile:
  • mdale2
    Options

Thanks!

It's better uncooked because of the previously mentioned low smoke point turning it rancid. And incidentally, coconut oil is a *natural* saturated fat (worlds apart from trans fats and man-made substances or even animal fat) with many health *benefits* in it's raw unrefined state. Check out the research on it sometime. :smile:

:drinker: Good explanation.

And another benefit (I've noticed) of incorporating oils in their more pure state is healthy, smooth skin. The Mediterranean people and the French eat a lot of olive oil and proclaim it as a benefit, I dunno, I sure believe them!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

Thanks!

:drinker: Good explanation.

And another benefit (I've noticed) of incorporating oils in their more pure state is healthy, smooth skin. The Mediterranean people and the French eat a lot of olive oil and proclaim it as a benefit, I dunno, I sure believe them!

Yeah I really think the low-fat AND low-carb diets took people in a bad direction. HEALTHY fats and HEALTHY carbs that are natural whole foods are really important to good health.