Tell me about carbs

Options
I'm on my second week of p90x. Although I'm not sticking to the calorie level recommended in the nutrition guide, I'm trying to stick to the recommended macros levels. 50/30/20. Protein/carb/fat

I usually eat pretty clean and never really paid much attentiOn to macros before. I also don't eat meat though I eat seafood on ocassion. It's kind of hard to get to 50protein every day.
I know one can lose weight with a calorie deficit regardless of macros.
My question is why is it important to decrease carbs while trying to lose fat and retain muscle mass? (not just with p90x but in general) My goal is not just to see the number on the scale decrease, I want most of that to be fat and not muscle Does minimizing carbs make a big difference in achieving that goal?
Is it because our primary source of fuel is carbs and in the absence of excess carbs we turn to stored fat for energy therefore maximizing fat loss?

Honestly im having a hard time reducing carbs and increasing protein but if it is gonna make a huge difference in getting lean, and if i have an explanation that makes sense, I will be more likely to make an effort to get in mOre protein.

Replies

• TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Your body uses carbohydrates as its main fuel source. Sugars and starches are broken down into simple sugars during digestion. They're then absorbed into your bloodstream, where they're known as blood sugar (glucose). From there, the glucose enters your body's cells with the help of insulin. Some of this glucose is used by your body for energy, fueling all of your activities, whether it's going for a jog or simply breathing. Extra glucose is stored in your liver, muscles and other cells for later use or is converted to fat.

Reducing carbs will make your body go to it's stored energy (fat) to fuel your body. Protein is a building block of muscle & helps keep you satiated. Try supplementing a protein shake.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have no clue why increasing the protein percentage resulted in lowering my weight, but I do know that it worked. Additionally, I found that increasing the protein seemed to decrease my appetite. Now that I am maintaining my weight, most of my fats come from healthy sources, like avocados. Carbs come my low fat dairy and oat bran. Really never eat bread, pasta ,rice or potatoes any more. My energy level is very high.
  • grmon
    grmon Posts: 17
    Options
    Your body uses carbohydrates as its main fuel source. Sugars and starches are broken down into simple sugars during digestion. They're then absorbed into your bloodstream, where they're known as blood sugar (glucose). From there, the glucose enters your body's cells with the help of insulin. Some of this glucose is used by your body for energy, fueling all of your activities, whether it's going for a jog or simply breathing. Extra glucose is stored in your liver, muscles and other cells for later use or is converted to fat.

Reducing carbs will make your body go to it's stored energy (fat) to fuel your body. Protein is a building block of muscle & helps keep you satiated. Try supplementing a protein shake.

Thanks, that confirmed what I thought was happening but wasn't sure.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, that in an energy deficit, fat oxidation will still exceed fat storage.

So even in a case where short term consumption causes fat storage, it will still be oxidized eventually.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This was freakishly informative. Danke.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    a lot of great info here.

i've been curious about the carb number: if i understand it correctly, a carb is made up of starch/ sugar & fiber

so one could say for some imaginary item, the carb count is 40 of which 5 are fiber and 10 are sugars. what are the other 25?
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat natural fats than carbs - more filling and helps the body more. Nothing fake for me thank you (unless its diet coke lol)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, that in an energy deficit, fat oxidation will still exceed fat storage.

So even in a case where short term consumption causes fat storage, it will still be oxidized eventually.
    :smile:
    ^^^^ Truth
  • grmon
    grmon Posts: 17
    Options

So basically energy deficit= fat loss but minimizing carbs and increasing proteins means less muscle and more fat loss. Is this correct?
    And how much of a difference do carbs make in terms of losing fat and preserving lean mass?