Hi - No measurable weight loss since April

Options
Well I've been on here since April. Counting calories consumed vs. calories burned. Slowly upping my calories burned and really trying to make things right to be healthier.

Although my hubby says I'm looking better and better - the scale does not move.

So introduce yourself back to me and let me know what the heck am I doing wrong?????

Replies

• jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes feel differently?
  • Jaspr7
    Jaspr7 Posts: 8
    Options
    Counting the calories I was eating and discovering I was eating way too much is what made the difference for me but you're already doing that. Hadn't been able to move the scale on South Beach (which used to work) or removing grains & gluten (Wheat Belly) since January and I know how discouraging those plateaus can be. Especially since my hubby's tummy seems to be melting away by magic. Jenniferstant has a good point about clothing feeling looser - that can be a better indication than the scale that you are actually developing more muscle and less fat. I try not to let the scale be my enemy but there's no denying the encouragement I feel when it goes down. Old habits die hard. Good luck and don't give up.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Counting the calories I was eating and discovering I was eating way too much is what made the difference for me but you're already doing that. Hadn't been able to move the scale on South Beach (which used to work) or removing grains & gluten (Wheat Belly) since January and I know how discouraging those plateaus can be. Especially since my hubby's tummy seems to be melting away by magic. Jenniferstant has a good point about clothing feeling looser - that can be a better indication than the scale that you are actually developing more muscle and less fat. I try not to let the scale be my enemy but there's no denying the encouragement I feel when it goes down. Old habits die hard. Good luck and don't give up.

Yes! It's hard to not get that encouragement from the scale! I like to share that years ago I dropped a lot of weight doing a fad diet. I'm now 10 pounds heavier BUT fit into smaller sizes than when i was at my thinnest AND have had three children since then. That's how I don't let the scale get me down:)
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Eating good and exercising more. But keep going up and down on the scale.
  • jayadams86
    Options
    How many calories do you take in? This can help come up with a better solution.
  • funkeydunk
    funkeydunk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi There, I had a similar issue this year, I dropped 10 lbs. quickly then ...zzzzzz. it all stopped. I did some research on plateaus (loads of info out these) and started playing with percentages of macro nutrients (carbs protein fats). In other words I adopted a 40% protein, 20% Fat and 40% carb diet, this website allows you to modify tour percentages. I have gone onto loose another 9 lbs. since modifying.

Remember Carbs aren’t equal, so I tend to make up my 40% carbs from veggies, brown rice, etc. No sugar, bread, white rice or potatoes (just my personal choice) also and this was the tough one. I dropped all alcohol period. my coach once told me you can’t out train (by going to the gym and running etc.) a bad diet. that will just make you fit and fat..lol. The biggest impact you can make on your Fat loss (try not to get hung up on weight) is clean up the diet. very best of luck
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale! Weight loss =/= fat loss and lack of weight loss =/= lack of fat loss. There is more to being strong and healthy than losing "weight." If you're eating right and exercising your body is making huge positive changes that may or may not result in weight loss but will benefit you in other ways. Embrace it.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    I've lost 2 lbs since uhm, January. But I had to go out and buy new clothes in smaller sizes because all this weight lifting is making me skinny or something.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I snuck a peek at your diary, and you may want to reassess your calorie and nutrition goals. It looks like you have some days where you've eaten less than 600 calories, and others where you seemed to have a lot of junk foods. Also, your calorie target is 1200 per day, which is generally a very low amount (unless you're less than 5' tall). Check out this thread for some info on the amount of energy your body typically needs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I think you'll be surprised by how much more you could (should) be eating every day. If you allow yourself to eat more each day, you may find that you don't feel the need to binge every so often. Good luck!
  • AnneAntz
    Options
    OMG I have the same problem I have started workout since last year my scale number has been the same or up 3-5 lbs. This is the reason why I join here, also my friend made fun and harsh comment on me that dont your husband say anything that you have gained so much weight!!!. Hope all PALs here who have a successful story can help us out!! I cant wait for that day to come!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    what you are doing wrong -

you are creating a vacuum where success can only be measured by the amount of gravitational pull you have.

If you keep this up, youll be up against a lot of future disappointment.

When weight loss stalls, you must focus on these things instead:

building strength
    lowering body fat
    planning and organization
    nutrition and cooking and meal planning
    self esteem and body image
    replenishing motivation regularly
    getting rid of clothing that is too big so you cant relapse and need to use it again
    brainstorming on what you are trying to turn yourself into, instead of just moving forward with no vision of your future self
    fun stuff like, how you will want to dress your future body, the things and events and adventures you will want to participate in
    trying new exercises and switching focus back and forth between cardio, strength, flexibility and agility.

whoever starts this quest for fitness and decides that the scale is boss of whether they fail or succeed.... is already making this harder on themselves.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If your tracking is accurate, then you tend to eat only two meals a day a lot of the time. Try spreading out your calories over the day. Drink more water. And eat more vegetables. Also, it's okay to indulge sometimes, but try not to indulge in those 400+ calorie muffins quite so often. Cut them in half and have them over two days or something.

HTH
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes feel differently?

Nope they are still tight. The only encouragement is the hubby being shocked last night at the changes he sees in my body. But then again he sees me working so hard at this I wonder if it's true because I'm not seeing it at all.

Going to measure the body to see what developes that way over the next few weeks.
  • connieannw
    Options
    How many calories do you take in? This can help come up with a better solution.

I have a desk job and sit for about eight hours a day. I try to waalk at least 20 minutes at lunch and have slowly increased my cardio and strength training owner the past few months so I am up to five hours of exercise per week. Today is the first day in a long time I'm sore from working out. I challenged one of my fit coaches by letting them know I wasn't sore and they came back at me with jus what I needed.

The direct answer is 1200 calories per day on average.
  • connieannw
    Options
    what you are doing wrong -

you are creating a vacuum where success can only be measured by the amount of gravitational pull you have.

If you keep this up, youll be up against a lot of future disappointment.

When weight loss stalls, you must focus on these things instead:

building strength
    lowering body fat
    planning and organization
    nutrition and cooking and meal planning
    self esteem and body image
    replenishing motivation regularly
    getting rid of clothing that is too big so you cant relapse and need to use it again
    brainstorming on what you are trying to turn yourself into, instead of just moving forward with no vision of your future self
    fun stuff like, how you will want to dress your future body, the things and events and adventures you will want to participate in
    trying new exercises and switching focus back and forth between cardio, strength, flexibility and agility.

whoever starts this quest for fitness and decides that the scale is boss of whether they fail or succeed.... is already making this harder on themselves.

This is awesome info. Already doing most of it and beginning to add the others