Questions - Heart rate monitors

Options
Ok MFP friends, I'm really in need of some advice :) I'm currently using a New Balance heart rate monitor with a chest strap. But I'm becoming more and more frustrated with it. I'm pretty sure its picking up other heart rate signals when I'm at the gym because my heart rate will go from 105 to 165 within seconds and sometimes goes back and forth. I'm thinking about getting a new one, but have no clue where to start. I need one that will work indoors, not requiring a GPS signal. I prefer the chest strap for continuous heart rate versus having to touch the wrist watch to get the heart rate.

So the question, those who are using a heart rate monitor, which one? How do you like it? Does it have a chest strap? Would you recommend it? Can you use it indoors or does it require a GPS signal?

Any advice or recommendation greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 - love it. Has a chest strap. I frequently use it indoors. Doesn't require GPS signal.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. Love It. Yes it has a chest strap (barely even notice it's there). Would definitely recommend it. I use it indoors all the time, and outdoors. No GPS Signal required.

Basically it's a good basic HRM to start with. IF you love it and decide you want more after some time, then do so but why pay more for all the bells and whistles if you don't even know if you'll use them.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yup, polar. the watch is not comfortable tho. (for me anyway) i put it on my bra strap.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one from lidl. It has a chest strap and ive used it indoors and out. I really like it but haven't had one before so cant compare. Does what i want.
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Polar F4. I got mine at ****'s Sporting Goods. It's so much cheaper at Amazon.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Polar, they are not suppose to mix signals with other heart rate monitors.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have experienced my heart rate going crazy also. It does this on my spinning bike. But, I don't pay it much attention. I just use my HRM. I have an old one...Polar F6.
  • cloarmo
    cloarmo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    If you are going for a Polar make then make sure it has the feature "Own Code" on it so that it does not pick up the HR signal from another user. i use the FT7 and find it brilliant :happy:
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Some heart rate monitors are also GPS receivers but GPS is nothing to do with the HR part of it.

Could be your battery is low - solution - change the battery

could be you are not wearing strap correctly - solution - check your handbook ensure it is properly placed and contacts are in contact!

could be your heart rate is in fact spiking - solution - try another HR monitor and see if you get same results

Could be your HRM is malfunctioning - solution - check your warranty

You maybe wanna do all the above before getting something else.
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback! I'm definitely going to check out the Polar HRM's and see if I can find one thats best for me!
  • hjge67
    hjge67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have heard that with the Polar HRM if the battery dies you have to send it back to the company. Has anyone been faced with that problem?
  • rnunl
    rnunl Posts: 15
    Options
    My Polar FT 7 has user changeable batteries for the watch and the chest strap. This was definately a feature I wanted when I was researching HRM's. Some Polar models do not have this feature. Good luck... :)
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How about those using the FT4, are you able to change the batteries yourself? Thanks!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Polar F4. I got mine at ****'s Sporting Goods. It's so much cheaper at Amazon.

LOL at the censorship
  • dodge72
    dodge72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I knew. LOL. :laugh: It won't let me type at all.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    How about those using the FT4, are you able to change the batteries yourself? Thanks!

Yes, I just had to change the battery in my Polar FT4 last month. It was a bit of a challenge to get the back off but once I did, it was easy to change the battery.
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    I have a polar ft40 I just got a week or so ago the instructions show how to change the batteries and I LOVE IT!!! :smile:
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just got a Polar FT4 a week ago, and won't ever try another brand--I totally love it!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar that I use with my Android phone and Noom. It works on the Precor stuff at the gym too.
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research and settled on the Polar FT2 - its one up from the most basic but it has all I need. It has a chest strap (very comfy) with a coded transmitter which should cut interference out. I'm in the process of joining a gym so have not really used it yet but I am looking forward it it!!