It happens every time, they all become blueberries

Options
i bought SO many blueberries at the market a couple days ago, and ive already made pancakes and muffins... and i love them plain. but my doting fiance who has child-like eating habits won't touch them unless they're mixed, mangled or incorporated in some form of something delicious... and i don't want them to go bad before we eat them all!

So tell me, what do you do with YOUR blueberries...

Replies

• gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I eat them in m oatmeal and also plain and also with yogurt or cottage cheese. I have to admit I am quite the blueberry addict right now so I just can't stop munching on them. When they stop being available soon I will have withdrawals. They don't go bad here cause they get eaten!
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Portion them out into freezer bags and freeze them.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Cobbler
    Throw them on a green salad with some almonds and a vinaigrette
    Mash them in some applesauce
    Blueberries and whipped cream for a refreshing sweet snack

....or you can just freeze them for later.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I make fruit smoothies...a cup of low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup of soy milk, a few ice cubes and then whatever I have on hand. My favorite is one medium banana with one cup of blueberries. A little higher in calories for the banana, but oh so delicious! With my ingredients it comes out to just over 300 calories, but a filling breakfast!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I mush them with a egg masher and add them to plain yogurt.
    You could add them to smoothies.
    I've used them to make a berry buttermilk bundt cake (smittenkitchen.com)
    Freeze them since in a few weeks we won't be getting anymore that way you'll have em all winter
  • Wanna_be_sexy
    Wanna_be_sexy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had to read this, since Willie wonka has been on tv all week and I just watched it last night. :) I like them plain, and I like them frozen. Maybe blueberries aren't his fav, will he eat other berries plain?
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Lay them out on a tray (don't wash them, leave them unwashed until future use), pop it in your freezer for a day or so, then put them in bags in the freezer and save for later use.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hehe - when I first read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a kid, I'd never heard of blueberries. I think I had my first blueberries when I went to Canada. You can get them from supermarkets in the UK nowadays, and I love them. I eat them as they are - I put them in fruit salads.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Iin my breakfast cereal, smoothies, mixed in with yogurt, on pancakes/french toast and just by themselves. I eat blueberries pretty much every day (keep a 2kg bag of frozen ones handy - tasty wild ones, not the big flavourless ones)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have them in my oatmeal. Or freeze them for future use in baked goods.
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    I agree with others about freezing them - love to have them on hand in the winter when they aren't 'in season!'
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    All of the above...and it just happens to be the 41st Annual Blueberry Festival in Montrose this weekend. Blueberries to be found in all sorts of decadent delights, and some healthy delights as well. (Although I must admit I am considering an elephant ear topped with blueberry sauce!)

I think my favorite way of eating them is just by the handful though. Love!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I made some sugar free freezer jam out of some of the local organic grown blueberries a couple months ago. I can put that in my yogurt, smoothies, on toast, on pankakes.....anywhere I would put fresh berries. I also used the cookie sheet method and froze a bunch. Just don't put the frozen blueberries in the microwave to thaw....they will spark and arc and may kill your microwave.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    One serving of cereal, an equal amount of blueberries, and a half cup of almond milk.
    or
    blueberry smoothies- mangled and such, but you can make them pretty low calorie
    or
    make some blueberry freezer jam
    or
    rinse and freeze them for later use
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    I love blueberries in skim milk with a little bit of sweetener :-) Simple but very effective for a sweet tooth.

P.S... Love the Willy Wonka Quote :-)
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    behind_blue_eyes_83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Pancakes!

ETA. Oops you already did. Love them anyway...
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Love the title...Lol
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    I love blueberries, but not when they're whole unless they're mini's. I've never done it, but I've seen other people who blend up the blueberries in pancakes and things. It keeps the flavor minus the texture, and makes your pancakes into bright colors!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I dip them into greek yogurt, either vanilla or honey, put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. They are delicious little "ice cream" bites :)
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just don't put the frozen blueberries in the microwave to thaw....they will spark and arc and may kill your microwave.

I thaw my blueberries in a glass bowl in the microwave every morning and have never had a problem. Just finesse the time so that they are thawed but not cooked (unless you want them cooked). My husband just drops his in a cup of warm water while he goes about preparing his breakfast. Pours the cup of water through a strainer and then tops his cereal with the half-frozen berries. Many people like them partly frozen, but my teeth are too temp. sensitivie for this.