Calorie Deficieny...weekly or daily?

Options
So I read about having too much of a calorie deficit can be a bad thing, as your body can trigger into survival mode where it actually tries to store more fat instead of burning it.

I have also read here that a deficit of more than 1000 calories is the threshold where this can become a problem.

I was wondering, should this be a concern on a daily basis, or weekly, monthly, etc.

For example, if between exercise and eating, my goal deficit is 1000 calories, and then I happen to eat less than goal for the day, should I be concerned about that deficit for the day, should I make up for it the next day, or not worry too much if it all evens out at the end of the week, for example?

Sometimes I just get to the end of the day and am not hungry and don't want to eat just to eat.

Thanks for any insight!

-Rog

Replies

• danielleleee
    Options
    i am sure you will get tons of different answers.. and people that completely disagree with me.. but i eat less than 1000 calories and every time i've dieted i've always lost and never gained and my body never went into fat storing mode... so i dunno... i dont think that 1000 calorie diet is good forever.. but for starting out for me it's always been okay...

my goal is to eat under 1000 calories and not cheat at all for 5 weeks... and my goal is to lose 10 pounds. once i meet that goal i will up my calories a bit and start lifting weights and such.. (right now i'm just doing cardio, i just want to lose weight not gain muscle)...

i dunno if that helps.. but hopefully it does...
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Rog-

I hear what you're saying (or read it at least). I am the same way. I can easily survive on 800-900 calorie days (I have a bad habit of skipping breakfast or lunch... sometimes both). I think the main point is to eat three meals a day, even if that meal is an apple or an egg or some cheese. If you have caloric intake those three times daily, I think your body will understand not to go into 'store fat fast becos food is scarce' mode.

Of course, I am no expert, but it makes sense to me.

I am working on eating 3 meals a day again. I lived in England for 6 months and I ate 3 meals a day and LOST weight. I am eating 1-2 meals a day now and I am gaining pound by pound.

Go Figure...
  • calvarado
    Options
    Rog- I think you should honeslty be kind to your body, and if you aren't willing to eat your excercise calories, at least split the difference so that you don't move into starvation mode. I like to try and have some calories left over too ( daily, I don't bank them for the weekend or anything either- defeats the purpose), but if I have too many left over ( from excerise) and do not eat , I am tired, cranky, and don't lose any lbs or inches. That being said- as danielleleee mentined, you are going to get nearly a difference answer from everyone that leaves a post. Everyone is different. I think you should strive to stick to your recomended calorie intake daily, including eating over half of your exercise calories. I hope what I'm saying makes since!!
  • calvarado
    Options
    PS- it gets easier as your body gets used to taking in and using the proper and healthy amounts of food.. you wouldn't go on a long road trip without filling up with the best gasoline.... right?? Trust me, you will start feeling much better and seeing improvements!
  • kayteae
    Options
    Personally..since you are a male you really dont NEED to be stressing so much about calories. If I was a male, I would just make sure i eat healthier. If it's taking out sodas (no diet sodas either) and actually eat breakfast ( a good one) and I think you will be good! Also exercise almost everyday and i think you will see a huge improvement! I've lost 98lbs and i have had my boyfriend kinda helping me through this and keeping better food in the house...ect. He has lost 30lbs in the time i lost 70lbs and he really has put little effort behind it!

--Side note: I never can hit my calorie goal! I am always way under...i try to eat at least 1400 a day but i'm never under 1000. I just dont want to starve myself!

Good Luck! I hope this helped out in some way!
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is a common misconception that eating less than 1200 calories a day will cause you to go into "starvation mode" and hold on to everything you eat. This is not entirely true. What actually happens (for some people) is your metabolism slows down. You don't pack on any weight, but actual weight *loss* can get frustratingly slow.

A good and relatively safe trick is to run your calorie intake in cycles. For example, I try to stay at-or-under 1200 calories for two weeks, and then take one at 1500. This coaxes my body into an even burn.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am working on eating 3 meals a day again. I lived in England for 6 months and I ate 3 meals a day and LOST weight. I am eating 1-2 meals a day now and I am gaining pound by pound.

Go Figure...

I did that when I was having extended stays in Scotland... I always came back 10-15lbs lighter than when I went over. *snerk*
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys that's what I was hoping for, some different responses to then hopefully find something that works for me.