Need diet plan for veggie/vegan,diabetic,high bp

Options
Hi

I hope someone can help, my mum needs to lose weight but she having trouble doing it.

She has seen the doctor who is useless - he told her to stop eating!
and the dietician said she had to eat meat, fish, eggs etc.. in order to lose weight and could not help her unless she did.

So I need a diet plan that is suitable for a veggie or vegan, diabetic with high blood pressure, whom cannot exercise a lot because of knee problems.

Any help is very much appreciated by myself and my mum.

Thanks

Replies

• vintagebrighton
    Options
    Hi, I had high bp and was diagnosed pre diabetic earlier this year. I'm also vegetarian (not vegan). I tried the low fat way of controlling weight for many years but it just didn't work for me. Now I count carbs instead. It's a bit more of a challenge doing a low carb diet as a vege but it's certainly doable with a bit of planning. My diary's open if you want to have a look. (I do have a lot of double cream :))

What convinced me was the research about how our recommended high carb/low fat diet is now thought to be a big part of the problem in obesity rates. And for me it's worked.. I don't have pre-diabetic insulin resistance or high bp any more although I have more weight to lose.

I suggest you do a lot of research as really it comes down to what suits your mum, what she can manage long term. All the health professionals said I shouldn't low carb but I decided it was right for me.

Google Gary Taubes as a starting point and there's lots of info on here about the different ways of losing weight/gaining health. Also there was a series on recently (BBC2 I think) called 'The Men Who Made Us Fat'.. eyeopening if you can find it on the web.

HTH :)
  • ruksha123
    ruksha123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thank you vintagebright for your help. Will start researching asap.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    Look into Low Glycemic eating and low GI foods. They have little impact on a persons blood sugar and usually higher in fiber and lower in sugar, so it's good for cardiac health. I'm vegetarian and follow low GI eating with little trouble. Beans, lentils, and veggies are all great and very versatile.
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    Eat to Live is a great low fat vegan cookbook. But yeah I agree that I'm not sure about the whole low fat high carb thing for myself, but this diet has worked for a lot of people. This diet is very boring though lol. No oils, no sugar, only whole grain, etc.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's vegetarian and he's lost 20 lbs just watching portion size and doing his best to get adequate protein. Eggs, protein shakes, tofu, etc will be important to her overall macros, and replacing processed carbs like white pasta with high protein grains like quinoa should help. Also, less grain, more fruits and veggies for the carbs.

She doesn't have to go to the gym and run for an hour, but she does need to move. Just walking 2 minutes every hour helps keep the insulin levels down. She needs to spend as little time as possible sitting and do anything she can standing or moving around.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Although I'm no longer a fan of Dr. Neal Bernard, I'd look into his book on reversing diabetes. It is a vegan book and includes recipes and meal plans. Many people have reduced or eliminated their medication with the diet. I personally used to have issues with hypoglycemia but no longer do when I went with a vegan diet.

High BP is partially genetics so even those with solid diets may still have higher than normal BPs.
  • ruksha123
    ruksha123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your help.
    much appreciated
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I can't really comment on the health issues but if it's any use I used this website to kickstart my vegan diet and I lost about 2kg in 3 weeks using it. Once i'd stuck to the plan for a few weeks I just started to mix and match my meals and develop some nice recipes like quinoa/tofu mixed with vegetables, and potato & tempeh curries. Generally this plan was quite good to start me off and I didn't feel hungry at all, I felt like I was eating all the time! Maybe it might help your Mum. Here's the link:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/meals
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The engine 2 diet is vegan and is supposed to help with a lot of the "American" diseases like diabetes and high BP.

I have known people personally who have had great success.

Also, watch the documentary "Forks over knives". It is a great resource.

Mainly, though, high BP and diabetes can be helped by trying to avoid too much sodium and sugar. Which are added like crazy to processed foods. Eating more "whole foods" like raw fruits and veggies and brown rice could possibly help a lot.

Best regards :)
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Kari_L_Moore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Forks over Knives has a cookbook out now. I just got told I am pre-diabetic, so I'm kinda going through this for the first time. There are some diabetic websites out there that might help identify foods that are better than others, but from what I've seen so far today, low GI (Glycemic Index) foods are what you are looking for. Just because something is a fruit or vegetable, doesn't necessarily mean she should eat a lot of it. She will have to keep track of total carbs and total fiber for a while too.