I can't get the weight to fall off

Options
I must say I'm starting to get frustrated I have been worked out for an hour everyday and watching my calorie count. And in 3 three weeks I haven't seen any change 1 pound, but even that could be fluctuation. I find it so odd because last summer I did a 20 minute workout not even everyday of the week and the first 2 weeks 5 and 3 pounds fell off.. I'm getting discouraged and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You might want to open your diary so people can give you better advice. Click My Home > Settings > Diary Settings if you'd like to change it.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements also? I'm having the same issue with the scale where I'm working out almost every day and staying within my calorie boundaries, but the scale's not moving. However, when I take measurements, there's a noticeable difference there. That keeps me motivated. When I started this, I decided my goal was going to be some kind of loss per week whether it was in inches or lbs. And so far, I've lost one or the other every week.
  • rach41413
    rach41413 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yep, open your diary or the advise you'll get will be all guesses.

Weight loss seems to be all about finding out what works for YOU. If what you're doing right now isn't working, change it. Eat more or eat less. Eat more whole, clean foods. Work out more or less or lighter or harder. You just have to experiment.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No might about it. You need to open your diary up if you want advice. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's imposible to say for sure witthout seeing your diary, but I would guess that your muscles are holding onto fluid to help repair them after the workouts. Be sure you drink tons of water to help flush out the excess and give it a little more time.

If you open your diary you might get more specific advice.
  • satxtrap
    Options
    Oh... And don't listen to anyone who says "it's because you're gaining muscle" because that's not what is happening.

Edit: This does not include the muscle is holding water theory because that actually does happen. Props to the poster above me for getting their comment in before me. :p
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One of the most common reasons i see is from under eating. How many calories do you eat?
  • Amabuela
    Amabuela Posts: 24
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, so apologize if I'm repeating somebody. I understand that muscle weighs more because it is denser. So a lot depends on the exercises you are doing. If you're alternating muscle building and cardio, you're doing fine. But if you're doing mostly muscle building and toning, then you'll lose inches, but not necessarily pounds. So do follow the advice of measuring yourself. I should add that a trainer I once worked with had the cutest figure I think I've ever seen - trim and toned. She admitted she weighed 152 pounds! But she was all muscle and bone - very little fat. So keep up the good work - no matter what, you're getting healthier!
  • carimacfarlane
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I've been doing a mixture of cardio and strength training everyday. I spend about 20-25 minutes on the bike or elliptical machine. And then about 30 minutes doing the strength weight training exercises. When I'm doing my cardio workout out my heart rate is quite high 170-190, I'm not sure if that makes a difference as far as weight loss is concerned. When you guys say lots of water is that the 8 glasses per day? Or is that generally not enough?

Thanks again!
  • satxtrap
    Options
    After looking at your food and exercise diary entries, I'd suggest taking 3 days off to rest. On these rest days eat the suggested # of calories and try to avoid salty foods. I think you'll see a couple of lbs flush out once you give your muscles a chance to heal. By limiting your salt (say 1200-1500 mg) you'll have a better chance of not retaining the water. When you plan workouts also plan some rest days. Do different muscle groups each day, not the same ones (don't know if you are doing that already) and work a couple of rest days in there where you aren't doing anything. :)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Definitely give your muscles a chance to rest. I can't see what exercises you're doing, but I agree that you shouldn't work the same muscles 2 days in a row. People usually split their strength training to focus on different groups: say, work lower body one day, then upper body the next, or focus on squats one day, deadlifts one day, bench press one day and overhead press one day. I would say to check out Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I often notice a drop in weight if I give it a day with no exercise at all to let everything rest up, or spend a day doing easy cardio.

Edit: Also to repeat another poster before the building-muscle brigade comes in, sometimes beginners have VERY VERY SLIGHT increases in muscle mass at a calorie deficit right when they start strength training. But this is VERY VERY SLIGHT. You are not going to be losing 10 lbs of fat and gaining 10 lbs or muscle or whatever nonsense at a calorie deficit over a period of a couple weeks. Ugh.
  • carimacfarlane
    Options
    Yah I have my strength training set-up so that its a 5 days cycle. So chest and triceps, legs, biceps and back, core and obliques, and then shoulders. So I don't think that is over-working a particular group maybe I'm wrong though. At least I don't feel any strain or pain from doing that routine.

I'm kind of worried that if I allow myself a day off I'll make an excuse to let myself have 2, then 3, 4, and just go into a downward spiral. At least that was my rationale for working out every day. Do you guys generally eat your exercise calories, or just the allotted calories for the day??
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yah I have my strength training set-up so that its a 5 days cycle. So chest and triceps, legs, biceps and back, core and obliques, and then shoulders. So I don't think that is over-working a particular group maybe I'm wrong though. At least I don't feel any strain or pain from doing that routine.

I'm kind of worried that if I allow myself a day off I'll make an excuse to let myself have 2, then 3, 4, and just go into a downward spiral. At least that was my rationale for working out every day. Do you guys generally eat your exercise calories, or just the allotted calories for the day??
    If you're following MFP's recommendations (ie you haven't customised your own calorie goal) then exercise calories are part of the allotted calories for the day. MFP givs you a calorie goal on the assumption that you will eat back exercise calories. That said, it can be hard to get an accurate estimation of calories burned through strength training, so you might want to experiment with eating back 2/3 of them, or 1/2 of them or whatever until you find a level that suits you.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about is that sodium can make you retain water (especially if you suddenly have more than you usually do). That excess water weight can mask any fat loss on the scales. You could start tracking sodium in your diary to see if that's an issue.
  • Cjones1721
    Options
    are you lifting heavy weights? what amount are you lifting? I'm not trying to be offensive or anything but if you want to lose fat you need to lift heavy.
  • carimacfarlane
    Options
    No offense taken :) I've been lifting as heavy of a weight as I can so that I can do it for 8-12 reps. Because my endurance isn't that great yet I sometimes have to lower it to complete all 3 sets. The only weights I do lighter are the pull-down bar because I hurt myself twice on that, and want to be careful of my back.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend eating back at least part of your exercise calories since not eating them doesn't seem to be working for you. The trick to this is to experiment and see what's right for your body. Try adding just 100-200 calories and see how your body reacts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you can provide height and weight we can run numbers for you in terms of caloric requirements. I have a feeling you are over rxtending your goal and should be eating more like 1700-1900 calories daily. Also, sometimes taking a week off and eating st maintenance level will help eliminate water retention and allow your body to drop weight.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but solved it easily, worked for me EATING LESS and eat different things than you did up until now. For example drop bread, bananas if you digest them slowly. If you've done that and stopped eating sweets long ago too, have one day and stuff yourself with chocolate (I had half the big box of Celebrations, yes and I did not gain anything), I know how it sounds but the body needs a change in the metabolic cycle. Eat something you would normally never touch, although remember to keep within your calorie goal. One more important thing don't eat back the exercise calories.
  • carimacfarlane
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 211.8. I just wanted to give it an honest go at exercising hard before I started cutting types of foods completely out of my diet. Although I understand the need for balance and that you can't use all your calories on candy bars.