Question about ground beef. Please help!!!!

Options
OK this is a serious question. I have heard two different things about red meats. Some people tell me it is good to eat when you are dieting but then other people tell me that it is very bad to eat when dieting. I dont know what the correct answer is. Someone please help. And if there are some red meats that are good to eat on a diet please tell me so i can go by them especially steaks. My husband looooves steaks. Me not so much lol.

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't say No to any food. I just eat it in moderation. I think that is the key. I say eat steak..just eat a normal size of it. :)
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    PS a great staple I have found are Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage crumbles...not that they are any "better" for you..but they are lower in fat and calories. I use them to make chili and tacos instead of ground beef.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a naughty list. Eat what fits into your diet.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    when your trying to loose weight, as in fat... its best to steer (no pun intended lol) clear of saturated animal fats. Red meat, as in beef tended to have higher quantities for sat fat. however grass fed beef contains less sat fats. If you plan a meal of beef, try and buy grass fed.

If you buy ground beef, try and get extra lean ground steak... Overall try to reduce your intake of sat fats, but remember that you NEED fat for normal physiological function.

Lean meats (chicken, turkey) and goos, salmon is good and high in essential fatty acids as well.

Overall it is not recommended to consume large quantities of red meat "Department of Health is advising people who eat more than 90 grams (cooked weight) of red and processed meat a day to cut down to 70 grams."
  • eden2760
    eden2760 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The above poster and those who want to talk about "good fats", "bad fats" should do a little research. :p

Saturated fat contributes to muscle gain. There's nothing wrong with it. Like one poster above said, "all things in moderation".

Just develop a sensible diet... and I'd go so far as to figure out what macronutrients you want to try to hit (Protein, Carbs, Fat) that fits into the calories you're aiming for and then eat anything that fits into there.

Again there's something to be said about eating a balanced diet, getting plenty of vitamins, minerals, etc; however, don't be afraid of red meat, fat, or traditionally "unhealthy" foods as long as you're sticking within your goals.

Personally I think that's part of why America is so obese: bad information, leading to unsustainable/rigid diets, leading to giving up. :p

Good luck with your goals... and eat that beef!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I enjoy red meat and wouldn't think to give it up. I had surgery in Feb and had a full blood panel done, it came back great. Excellent iron count, low cholesterol, etc.

Allowing all foods in moderation works better for me.
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i agree wpunkmom as long as it is in moderation (at least that is what my mom always told me) i east it but not as much as i used to because it is one of my downfalls (next to choclate and chips) so i'm trying to make myself eat those Jenni-O turkey burgers and such instead as much as posible to offset my cravings and amke sure i get modertion
  • Buffdrita
    Options
    I eat beef. Like others have stated it's the amount and quality of any food that matters most. Definitely buy the leanest meat that you can afford. I think ribeyes are the tasiest steaks but the filet is the most lean cut and the most expensive.

Watch your portions and good luck!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I enjoy red meat in moderation. I find it's particularly useful in boosting energy around my time of the month.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    OK this is a serious question. I have heard two different things about red meats. Some people tell me it is good to eat when you are dieting but then other people tell me that it is very bad to eat when dieting. I dont know what the correct answer is. Someone please help. And if there are some red meats that are good to eat on a diet please tell me so i can go by them especially steaks. My husband looooves steaks. Me not so much lol.

I love beef. BUT, beef has higher cal count and generally more fat per ounce than than fish, chicken, or some cuts of pork. For those 2 reasons, I stopped buying beef for the most part. When I do eat beef, it is very little.
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    agreeing with Eden. I too have blood panels done and have excellent numbers. I couldn't do this weight loss thing if I was saying "no" to certain foods. Besides that with those "studies" they change their mind every month. One month coffee will kill you (SAY IT ISN"T SO) and then now they say us coffee consumers are going to live to take over the world. It was the same thing with eggs. Don't eat eggs they'll kill you and now they want you to eat eggs IN MODERATION. It's an ever changing rhetoric.
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat sometimes. Ground beef is different as I am sure you know. I am fortunate enough to have organic grass fed avaible but that doesn't mean you can't eat it. If a meat is fatty, I put it on a paper towel after I cook it. Then I pat the top to get the excess fat off without taking the flavor too. So, if I was going to make tacos, first I would cook and clean the fat off the meat and wipe out the pan. Then I put the meat back in to season it. This is also great if your on a budget too.

Now a steak or ribs....forget it! I go for the flavor. I tend to be low in protien and I get tired of just eatting the same food. Mix it up.

This is not a diet but a lifestyle. You can eat the foods you like. And you don't have to clean the fat off either. Some people like the fat on. oooooooo I just woke up and you have me thinking steak and eggs yum yum!