Slim Fast shakes

Options
Long story short..I weighed over 400 lbs, I got down to just under 300 lbs in 18 months by exercising and counting calories. Went through a divorce/house in foreclouse/job security worries last September and wound up gaining over 25 lbs back from September 2011 to now.

I finally got fed up and started going to the gym daily this week and started the calorie count again. From Sunday to today I lost 3.6 lbs.

Around May I wanted to lose weight quick for vacation. I started drinking 2 Slim Fast shakes a day and eating a healthy dinner. I would say I was taking in under 1500 calories. (now I'm taking in just under 2000) In a week I went from 320 lbs to 310 lbs. Well when I stopped doing the shakes, I went from 310 to 325 lbs. Ugh!!! I want to do the shakes again but am worried I will gain the weight back if I stop. After vacation, I got lazy again and didn't really count calories and didn't work out that much.

I am in my zone again where I know I can count the calories and work out 5 days a week and have everything like it was before. Should I do the shakes again?? I'm a bit worried... I want these last 50-75 lbs gone for good. Thoughts?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I personally am not a supporter of slim fast, or any meal replacement just because I like food. For the 200 calories or so in a can, I can eat a chicken breast, green vegetable and a small salad. The food keeps me fuller way longer and doesn't have all the additives like slim fast. There are also better meal replacement alternatives that have a better quality of nutrition, less calories and less additives if that's what you're looking for.
  • cbelt82
    cbelt82 Posts: 62
    Options
    For some odd reason Slim Fast Does not fill me... I've tried it and within an hour I'm STARVING
    Love
    cassie
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Stopping the shakes does not make you gain weight. You gain because you eat more then your body uses.

Shakes are fine if you want to take them but you still must learn to eat correctly. Weigh your food to ensure you are eating just one portion. Log everything.

I have shakes (not slimfast because I won't pay for the brand and too high in carbs) almost every day for the convenience of them. They are not a cure all. You cannot lose weight just because you drink them. Calories in must be less then calories out.
  • 92_sweetheart
    92_sweetheart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was on slim fast for 1-2 weeks lost 10lbs, but it sent me to the ER. Still to this day I don't know what I can not process that is in it or why I have so much trouble with it because I drink Special K protein drinks now and they have to same ingredients.
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race..