Sauna Suit?

Options
So I went out and purchased this about 5 days ago and have used it twice. I only use the top portion and skip the bottoms.

It's awesome at making me sweat to death but has anyone used one before? and how were your results?

Should I add more sodium to my diet?

Any tips or anything I should do additional aside from drinking a lot of water?

Any dos or don'ts?

Thanks!!!

Monica

Replies

• Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    They are only good for losing water weight and if used too much can lead to dehydration and sodium loss. Wrestlers and other athletes use them to make a weigh-in because it sheds quick water weight, but that's a very temporary thing. Once you drink your water back, you have the weight back. I would absolutely not use one for weightt loss or fat loss.

Your milage may vary though.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    IMO Sauna Suits are for quick loss of water weight but do not have an validity when it comes to long term healthy life styles. I used them when I was younger and needed to quickly drop a few pounds before a weight-in. As soon as you drink the water you are replacing what you just sweated out.

There is no scientific data that supports the theory that it will raise your metabolism.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that every time someone brings these up, this is all I can think of:

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8nk5cG2XF1rzeq41o1_500.gif[/i] Seriously though, making you sweat is all these things will do. The scale says you're lighter afterward because you sweated out that amount of water weight, but as soon as you're rehydrated, you're back to where you started.[/img]
  • moneybagsbabe
    moneybagsbabe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hmm but doesn't elevated temperature increase metabolism and calorie-burning?
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options

no
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

sweating is your body trying to cool off and regulate it's body temperature. your body can lose a lot of water during and post exercise, but it is not fat loss and it is not permanent.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It's not good for anything other than dropping some water weight which of course you gain back as soon as you drink more water. Be careful not to over do it with these. The NCAA banned the use of these suits after 3 players died trying to drop water weight and moved their weigh in times to 2 hours prior to matches to keep people from secretly doing this. Continued elevated body temperature and dehydration isn't healthy.

Are you trying to be healthy or just drop weight at any cost? Sauna suits fail on both levels. It's not healthy and it will not help you lose weight for more than a few hours. All that weight comes back as soon as you rehydrate.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Totally useless as it pertains to fat loss.

Useful for dropping water weight.

I would recommend that you stop using it permanently.
  • moneybagsbabe
    Options
    Awesome information! I was using it while lifting weights and have only used it twice...

I also just read some additional information about it and it looks like ditching the suit would be best. I'm not trying to kick over anytime soon lol

Thanks for the input guys!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Totally useless as it pertains to fat loss.

Useful for dropping water weight.

I would recommend that you stop using it permanently.

yes.
    eat right, work hard. period.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Awesome information! I was using it while lifting weights and have only used it twice...

I also just read some additional information about it and it looks like ditching the suit would be best. I'm not trying to kick over anytime soon lol

Thanks for actually being someone who asks a question and listens to the answers instead of looking for the one that you wanted to hear.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Thanks for actually being someone who asks a question and listens to the answers instead of looking for the one that you wanted to hear.

^^^^ This! Such a rare quality these days......
  • koogabah
    koogabah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I read this as "Santa Suit." Now I totally want to lift while dressed up like St. Nick.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I read this as "Santa Suit." Now I totally want to lift while dressed up like St. Nick.

^ We need to market this.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

in for pics.
  • moneybagsbabe
    Options

lol----that would be interesting!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

Please do. And post pictures.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sigh......
  • beast8618
    beast8618 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I couldnt agree with you more. I hated those suits every since my coach put one on me to make my weigh-in before my bouts. After he would rush water/pedialyte into my body to rehydrate. I do not miss that!!!