I've got a question

Options
My DH bought me a HRM today:heart: , so I wore it while on the treadmill for 30 minutes. The treadmill (which does not ask for your weight, height, etc.) said I burned 175 calories.:ohwell: My HRM said 380 calories burned.:ohwell: That is like 200 calories different!!!! :noway:

So, my quesiton is: Which one do I log??:huh: I have been logging the treadmill's total, but I feel so worn out, so when it says 175, I'm like, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" :explode: :explode: :explode:

I know all you MFP pros out there can help me!!! Please? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I don't know if it matters, but my height is 5'7" and my current weight is 230. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Thanks!! :smooched: :smooched:

Replies

• jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    First, make sure you're entering all the correct information (ie...age, weight, etc.) and
    make sure you keep updating the data as your body changes.

Heart Rate monitors aren't exact, but for us common folks, they're our workout savior :)

I would enter the calories from your monitor, remembering that isn't an 'exact' number.

Doug
  • breckmc
    breckmc Posts: 30
    Options
    If the treadmill doesn't ask for your weight then it is probably making an assumption based upon an average weight. I would definitely go with the HRM.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap? I would trust yout HRM over the machines any day. My numbers are always WAAAAY different.
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    go with the HRM-

machines are pretty much set to figure out the calories for a 150 lb person, so since you weigh more than that, it makes sense for you to have to exert more energy to move the same amount than someone who weighs 150 lbs- so the cals should be higher for a heavier person
  • MrsBlaze
    Options
    Thanks so much!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I would be delighted to log my HRM over the treadmill, I just wanted to get a second opinion!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

No, my HRM is on my wrist, does that make a difference??? :huh:
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    HRM!!! I know it doesn't seem like it should be that big of a diff, but when I use mine it's like 400-500 off depending on the intensity! I always go by my HRM because it is specifically set to me!
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Well, it really depends on the intensity and the incline you have the treadmill set at along with the speed. I agree with the others on the treadmill being set for average height and weight of a person. The HMR is a lot closer but it is not perfect so you may want to split the difference between the two and this way you will have a little more room for error. Then you can monitor your progress and make adjustments as needed to your workouts. Example: I am 102 pounds at 5 foot tall 49 year old female i have mine set for 7 incline and 4 speed for 30 minutes and I burn 175 calories and that is very close to being right but mine does have the settings on it and I compare it to my bodybugg. God Bless, Brenda