The doctor made me cry...

Options
13»

Replies

• Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I have PCOS and fibromyalgia and my doctor was all for me losing weight and supportive and I've lost a good amount. You can do this! At least give it a try before doing anything drastic. Don't cry, just prove him wrong.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I went to see a new doctor today and she recommended that I have the weight loss surgery since I have a metabolic disorder (PCOS) and diabetes. She said that the likelihood of me losing enough weight on my own is slim because "that biologically how my body is." I'm so upset. I've been teary all day. Does anyone know anything about this?

Get a second opinion... also, what has your results been? what have you been doing? how have you been eating? is your diary open?
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!!!!!!!
    Find a new Doctor and tell that one shove it. I have Insulin Resistance and have lost over 110 lbs in about 9 months. My primary is absolute shocked that I have done it. Anyone can.

I assume you are at least on Metformin for diabetes? That should help the blood sugar. Now for the hard part. Go Primal. No joking and no cheating. You have to go low carb or you just won't lose with PCOS. Because you have diabetes you will want to check with a non-idiot Doctor if adequate protein is okay for your kidneys. Unless you currently have kidney issues, it should be fine but it is something that diabetics have to watch.

Go here -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    And here -- http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

And don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Do what I did and show them you can.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Find a new Doctor and tell that one shove it. I have Insulin Resistance and have lost over 110 lbs in about 9 months. My primary is absolute shocked that I have done it. Anyone can.

I assume you are at least on Metformin for diabetes? That should help the blood sugar. Now for the hard part. Go Primal. No joking and no cheating. You have to go low carb or you just won't lose with PCOS. Because you have diabetes you will want to check with a non-idiot Doctor if adequate protein is okay for your kidneys. Unless you currently have kidney issues, it should be fine but it is something that diabetics have to watch.

Go here -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    And here -- http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

And don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Do what I did and show them you can.

You rock!! Sending you a request.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    As others have said, doctors mean well, but really don't always know what's best for you. My doctor told me yesterday that I have a heart condition, and today he said "oops, no you don't." My doctor told me in March that because of a major back injury, it was unsafe to work out and I should take narcotics and sit on the couch all day. I hired a trainer and I'm stronger and happier than I've ever been.

Find a doctor, trainer, nutritionist... someone who will work with you on your level and will help you lose weight the way you want to.

I never recommend surgery. My aunt had it and was super motivated as the first 75 pounds melted off. Now she plateaued, but no one educated her on her new lifestyle of portion sizes, healthy foods, and the benefits of weight training and cardio. I've never seen her so discouraged.

You know what you need to do. You have the right answer in your head. You just need to do some research and find the right support team for you!
  • TheEmi
    TheEmi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes! Another opinion is better.

I'm T2 and having a hard time losing weight. I went to my endocrinologist about not being able to lose weight, even with diet and exercise mods. He said I would need more insulin and that I should eat no more than 1000 calories per day. I left determined to show him my numbers would be better and my weight would go down with sensible eating. So far, my approach is working. It is slow, but it is working! After my next 'stuff it' visit, I am looking for a new endo!

To me, surgery is the absolute last option to fix diabetes. I would only consider it if my levels were out of control and had no hope of lifestyle changes and medicines bringing them down. YMMV.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that has happened to you. About the same thing happened to me, except I don't have the problems that you do. I had to go see a cardiologist, and he was the one that is so instrumental in my weight loss. He preceded to tell me over and over again throughout my appointment, that I needed gastric bypass, there was no way that I could lose enough weight that would matter. I was seeing red before that appt. was over. That very day I left there with one thing in my mind, I was going to show him! I started that day, and haven't looked back since. I had to return to him 6 months after that, I had lost 70 pounds, the nurses told me they were going to rub it into his face everyday! The worst was he didn't even really say much to me about it, he was like thats good, we will see if you can keep it off. Well, now it is 6 months later, actually it will be one year to the day I have to go back, I am hoping that by then I will have reached my 100lb mark. The point of this rather long story is, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something, you can do it. Show them how you can, rub it in there faces. I wish you Good Luck

That is so awesome! go you!
    I hate how these days so many are pushing gastric bypass as if it's a magic silver bullet, do it and bingo everything is roses from then on. No, you still have to watch what you eat, and as I understand it be very careful not to eat too much or you'll feel or get ill. I've heard for some kinds you have to loose weight before you can even have the surgery. You can get serious complications from it (I know a few that have had it, and 2 got complications really badly), and you can gain a lot of the weight back. One of the women I know that has had it might have started out at 350, and that was a few years ago. I would guess she might be about 230-250 now..that's a big loss from where she was, but not POOF all gone no problems either.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Surgery is only a temporary solution. After two years, if you don't follow a strict calorie diet, you'll gain it all back.

Prove her wrong and do it on your own!
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I manged my PCOS first by going vegetarian and then by going vegan. It definitely helps a lot.

Sweetie, I have PCOS too and it SUCKS. I can't begin to describe it, it just blows. I used to go to www.soulcysters.com for years and years since it used to be less known. I have been on diabetic drugs and I still am borderline, but was taken off them after my hormones were more balance, my endo was watching my blood tests till he was happy with them. I had an easier time losing weight on the diabetes drugs, but I was sick to my stomach each day.

Fast forward...I have tried low carb and gained. I ate too much fat and meat. I had only success in the beginning but I kept eating too much. I also got higher cholesterol (it tends to run in my family high cholesterol though). I tried eating vegan from April to June and I didn't lose weight, plus my triglcyerides went up. My cholestrol slightly rose because of that. I was in tears. I am now a flexitarian in that I eat meat or some dairy maybe once a month and not every month. But most of the time, I am straight vegan and it's easy-peasy.

I wrote Jack Norris, a vegan registered dietitian with a blog http://jacknorrisrd.com/ I admire, an pathetic whiny email about my plight. He wrote back and encouraged me to follow Dr. Fuhrman. I gave Jack a tip on his blog $ since I felt his advice was worth a lot more. I have tried so many diets and wanted something that makes sense to me. Dr. Fuhrman wants you to fill up on veggies, fruit (especially berries), legumes and nuts, eating only 10% of the stuff that makes you gain what. (My 10% tends to be agave syrup for my coffee and oatmeal each day).

So now I am trying Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live program. We'll see how it goes. I have lost weight for the last two weeks. This is my third week on it...we'll see if I lose weight tomorrow. If I don't, I'll just look at my diet and get even more restrictive.

Is there a PCOS support group on this thing? If so, I need to join it and so do you gals who have it on this thread.

The only good thing about PCOS - it makes a lady look young. I have had countless people freak out when I say I am 44. They can't believe it. With all this freakish oil production I've had over the years with acne and wearing suncreen all the time from acne treatments and medications, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

The doctor sadly is right that it's hard for us..but I don't think you need to do weight loss surgery. It's scary and frightening when things go wrong. One friend of mine, Kiki, is in heaven right now after she had her surgery. She did have a breathing machine at night for sleep and it may be unrelated...but she had all sorts of complications and I can't help but wonder if we wouldn't have the wonderfulness of Kiki around if she did not have it. I do though have another friend who had the surgery and she looks fantabulous. It is hard to predict who will do well and such.

I wrote a novel here because I relate and I care. Hang in there and please take a look at Dr. Fuhrman's book. He was on the Dr. Oz show and Dr. Oz says he has the best diet out there. http://www.drfuhrman.com/
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    why would you ask for their opinion on weight loss if you already knew you could do it on your own

I didn't ask her opinion on weight loss. In fact, her scale showed that I had lost 12 lbs in the past two weeks, which I commented on. This appointment was for a different issue all together. She took it upon herself to suggest that I consider having the weight loss surgery. When I explained to her what I had been doing, she said that it was unlikely that I would lose the weight on my own, so the surgery was a better option.
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I went to see a new doctor today and she recommended that I have the weight loss surgery since I have a metabolic disorder (PCOS) and diabetes. She said that the likelihood of me losing enough weight on my own is slim because "that biologically how my body is." I'm so upset. I've been teary all day. Does anyone know anything about this?

Get a second opinion... also, what has your results been? what have you been doing? how have you been eating? is your diary open?

I've been doing this for two weeks. I've been successful so far, about 10 pounds. I was drinking a ton of diet soda (4 or more servings per day), which I now have a serving a couple of times a week. I stay around 1500 calories/day, which is what MFP recommends to lose two pounds per week. I haven't been as diligent about exercising, but I am improving...moving a little more each day. My weekly totals are within a percent or two of what MFP recommends for protein, fat and carbs. So far, so good.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    NOTICE TO ALL PCOS LADIES: I've found a PCOS group on here I'm about to join:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis

GO THERE! I am! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, ive experinced this as well..
    I was on a medication that was causing me extreme pain like to the point of doubling over and so my mom took me to the hospital, the doctor i seen was clearly a morron and told me i was dying! He took my blood to measure the cell count and didnt think to ask if i was on my period so of course it came back low. He thought i was bleeding internally..told me i had a couple hours to live..talk about a 17 year olds worst nightmare as well with my parents...

3 years later im fine..nothings wrong with me my normal doctor took me off the meds and i was fine again.
    DOCTORS do NOT know everything. You can loose that wieght if you want and are determined..im currently down 33 lbs and near my goal just tonning now. I strongly suggest the paleo/primal lifestyle as the first responder mentioned.good luck and best wishes !

For an excerise if you dont have time, money or space consider jillian micheals dvds :) her newer ones.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    I've come across doctors like that while doing rounds in the hospital and some are even way too snobby. I guess it's just the status don't know
    But the most important thing is, do YOU feel you can do it. What everyone else around you is saying doesn't matter.
    As long as you aren't severely restricting your calories , you will definately be able to do this.
    She might not have that much faith simply because maybe she's come across other patients who haven't been successful but you aren't them. You're your only critic in this, so if you feel you can do it, then screw everyone else. I've seen doctors tell patients so many times and many times if the patient disagreed (in good circumstances) and had the will power, they did it. You can too :)