Treadmill or Outside?

Options
13»

Replies

• marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Outside hands down. I get bored instantly inside on my elliptical.

ME too, thats why I'm dreading seeing the cold weather months slowly creep on us!:grumble:
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I prefer to walk and run outside. I like the fresh air and looking at nature.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like the padded tracks at the high school by my house. Running on concrete hurts a lot. I also prefer the elliptical over both though, less strain on my knee.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, I prefer to run outside as well, but lately I've been going to the gym and doing my cardio there. I find I can only do 25 min on the treadmill before I die of boredom and have to choose a different machine (arc trainer, stair stepper), but outside I can go much longer. I also get more physically tired on the treadmill which has to do with not being able to adjust paces (i think). The bad thing is the concrete really irritates my bad knee, so the cardio machines are more forgiving in that sense.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Outside b/c it's nice to get used to something harder. On the treadmill you feel accomplished and then go outside to find out you can hardly run at all! I also think it's prettier outside :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Once the weather drops below 50, I'm inside.

Gosh this is my favorite temp to run in. I live in the Pacific Northwest so it is 50 here a lot. Although sometimes 50 is rather balmy depending on the time of year. I am looking forward to being one of those crazy people running in the winter. Provided there is no ice and snow on my trail.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Less creepers gawking at you, and I hate getting excessively hot. (I live in AZ) Inside it's nice and air-conditioned, plus I get to watch tv or read my kindle while I run. :) I suppose if I lived somewhere with nice weather/pretty views I might change my opinion, but as a desert rat, I prefer indoors.
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside and the indoor track....I have only used a treadmill three times since I started running in April 2011. I HATE, HATE, HATE the treadmill!!!! The indoor track can be a bore but it works in 100 degree weather. I think that anything is better than heat stroke!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Outside all year 'round (-35C in winter +40C in summer and everything in between) the only thing guaranteed to keep me indoors is freezing rain.

I do use my treadmill occasionally for walking on a recovery day or if I'm bored watching TV.
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Treadmill: For me, I set it at a steady pace and can go for an hour and not stop but I hold on. I like the temperature control and watching TV while im on it.

Outside: I do it for longer distances and its challenges me more due to the terrain and hills. The mental challenge of running alone also.

But overall, I prefer the treadmill.