It's hard, pure dedication, I need to get back into it!

Options
Hello. I am struggling. Being 21 and in college and trying to lose weight is hard. Drinking, going out, being broke!
How do I get motivated to go to the gym? I have a membership but have been doing academics until last week. Now I have the time but no motivation! Help?

Replies

• Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Nobody is going to pick you up and drag you to the gym, if you don't like what you see in the mirror... well... you know what you gotta do..... not always fun but nothing anybody else does is going to change the way you look, gotta do it yourself.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be something. After college, you'll have a demanding career and a marriage and a family and aging parents and on and on and on. Pick a time that'll work with your schedule and make an standing appointment with the gym. Treat it like a class or other important commitment. Once it becomes a habit, you won't have to think about it. It'll be as second-nature as brushing your teeth.
  • dshgna
    dshgna Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Find something you actually like doing as exercise:).

Now, I'm a person who hates sports and all forms of exercise in general, but I've recently discovered that I love doing zumba. Mean to move on to other dancing when I lose some more weight.

I find that exercising in a group setting and set times are the most effective. Also music helps a lot.

I'm at uni too and my final word is that, if you really want to do something, you're bound to find a way to do it!

All the best!
  • cubstter
    cubstter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey, being a mom that just delivered her daughter to college just last week, I can say that just walking around campus is
    quite a workout! Check into your school's exercise gym, see what activity clubs there are, join intramurals = those are all
    really inexpensive ways to workout AND have people to workout with you! Swimming is also a good choice at the school
    pool. My daughter also has to lose a few pounds and wants to join the crew team, the martial arts classes on campus, use
    the pool, and go the gym on campus! I know she'll do it because as a freshman, you've got to get yourself into "something"
    healthy, otherwise it's too easy to just "hang out", if you know what I mean. I know you can do it!!! I have faith in you!!! :)
  • suzfirebird
    suzfirebird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In college I used the gym at the school on my off hour or I would walk at the dome. Keep gym clothes in your vehicle or backpack. Limit yourself to one or two drinks on the weekend. Don't have to drink to socialize. Empty calories.
  • ready4fit
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I think I will go to the gym after I let this oatmeal settle! :D
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I think I will go to the gym after I let this oatmeal settle! :D
    That'a girl!
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    Amen! I just rediscovered tennis!
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    When I was in college, my best friend and I loved going swimming together! He was this tiny guy, but I was able to keep up with him because I had experience with swimming and he was just starting out. I saw him all the time (we were in the same club, we had a class together, hung out with the same friends) so it was easy for us to schedule workouts together. We started swimming four days a week (twice after our tues/thurs class, and twice on the weekends) and we eventually started strength training on Mondays and Fridays. It helped me to have a buddy to go with and he helped to keep me motivated! So its definitely possible! See if you have a friend who is in some of your same classes and maybe you can go together! Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
  • NeekoM03
    NeekoM03 Posts: 27
    Options
    When I was in college there were free classes at the gym all the time. I did step aerobics, kickboxing, a Latin dance class. They were fun and I got my friends to go too which made it even more fun! College can definitely be hard, the temptations are everywhere. But you can make smart choices even there!

Go get 'em, girl!!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be something. After college, you'll have a demanding career and a marriage and a family and aging parents and on and on and on. Pick a time that'll work with your schedule and make an standing appointment with the gym. Treat it like a class or other important commitment. Once it becomes a habit, you won't have to think about it. It'll be as second-nature as brushing your teeth.
    THIS^
  • Loisnelson2012
    Options
    Hi ready4fit,

I like your name, it says it all. You are ready and just need some encouragement from us. I just joined this site and love it. I bought the Fitbit Ultra Tracker ... what an amazing little device.

I'm very competitive against myself, so if I do 500 steps one day, I'll want to do more the next.

Competitive sports is a great way to get into shape as well. Does your club have Squash or Tennis? You could attend clinics, take lessons. Once you get out there you'll wonder why you didn't do it before.

Be different from the other college students in that you don't have to drink and party to have fun, you really don't you know.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you did at the club today, after your oatmeal settles. We're waiting to hear back!! :-)
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    Never been to college myself so I can't really say I understand the struggles but just wanna say if you got the energy and time to go out drinking than you can find the time and energy to workout. Don't have to work out everyday but even if you get 2 good workouts in than its better than nothing. You just got to get up and do it. Like someone earlier pointed out no one is gonna make you go, you just gotta wanna do it. Once you get a routine started than its easier to stay to. Plan out you week in advance, this way its easier when you know.
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    I can't tell you how to get motivated. But, I was like this for awhile til one day I put on a pair of pants that fit me a couple months ago and couldn't believe how much I hung over. That was it. Every few months I was going up a pant size since I was 18 and when I had my daughter I lost some of that weight but then I was still in a large size. I wasn't going above a size 13. I don't know how to tell you to get motivated. I guess you just have to have that moment of clarity...But, I hope you do find your motivation.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    For me I just had to find something to motivate me. I'm starting my senior year here on Monday. 18 credit hours, homework, working, and looking for another job. Yet despite all that my two biggest motivations are my boyfriend and my future. I'm going to Cali in a few months to see my boyfriend and I want to look and feel great. After that, I want to continue looking and feeling good, especially for after I get out of school.

One of my favorite motivational quotes is: "If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse."

Good luck. :) Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • dianacrum
    Options
    i have to agree....i used to just squeeze in my workouts....well now i attend Zumba 2 nights a week without even thinking about it! It is on my family calendar, my phone calender, my work calender and it just works!! i have a family with 2 kids, I work full time and go to college full time! i would love to get myself into a groove of adding 2 more days of "scheduled workouts" but I am ok with what i have for now as a start! I fit in other types of exercise as time permits!
    you can do this!! Good Luck!!
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I just recently graduated from college, so yes the temptations are there. Alot of time the food isn't healthy and it is fried. I know the feeling of wanting to go out with friends, and I admit I did it way too often. Now as a recent graduate I look back and realize I did not have to drink to have fun with the gang. Drinking occasionally is fine, and it will even relax you after a particular hard week of classes, but if you don't have the calories for it, offer to the be the designated driver. You don't have to drink (just drink water) but you still get to go out and have fun. Dancing is great exercise, and you don't have to be drunk to do it! Enjoy these years, cause it only gets harder from here on out! Good Luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Schedule it and make it part of your routine. Don't think of it as punishment or anything like that, think of it as just part of your basic maintenance, like brushing your teeth and showering. Eventually, it'll become habit.
  • ready4fit
    Options
    I did it! It felt so good and bad at the same time! Now I know I will go periodically. Yes! I just don't like when people stare or even watch you in the gym. It's just weird and now I prefer to go when no one is there. I mean I know I look good but don't be so obvious if you want to admire me. lol Anyways it was good! yay!
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend also trying to lose weight so we decided to STOP eating together.
    Meaning, do something ELSE.
    Our favorite thing now is to rent a $5 paddle boat at nearby lake for legs workout.
    If you're broke, get your friends together at a local park or river hiking trail and spend the day together
    doing something healthy and active. Everyone brings fruit or a snack and you just hang out.
    Don't have to be blowing money at the bars to spend time together and feel better!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!