Healthy Twists on Old favorites!

Options
HulaCoop
HulaCoop Posts: 12 Member
I have been through the wonderful experience of gallbladder removal surgery. In fact I haven’t had one since I was 16 years old. I quickly had to re-learn how to eat! Then I met a boy fell in love and sadly he is now having those very same pains I once had with his gall bladder, however we are on a rescue mission to save it! We have both been on a track to

Sweet Potatoes Fries: Sprinkled with cinnamon and a pinch of brown sugar make this a wonderful alternative for those of use French Fry lovers! They are also one of those foods that are good for you and you wouldn’t even know it! Full of vitamin A to help heal lungs for those of us who are ex-smokers. And very low on fat!

Cous Cous- this is a great alternative to regular white rice. It is a very bland grain but is wonderful when spiced with just about anything! I prefer to add curry powder, chopped onions, tomatoes, chicken, beans and garlic... you now really anything goes well!

Chick peas (garbanzo beans) - These have to be one of the most tasty treats ive ever had! I cannot believe I lived for so long without knowing the taste of a chick pea! These are the yummy things that make hummus and are great either mashed, roasted or just eaten right out the can. They are low in fat have a good source of protein and add lots of flavor and fullness to any meal!

Laughing cow light cheese- I am a cheese LOVER! Cheese is both a friend and foe at times. When I was younger my mom would have to buy an extra block of cheese specifically for me because I would eat the entire thing, which may be the reason im on here today to lose weight! Hah! This yummy cheese is so light with only35 calories per triangle and goes good on just about anything. Goes well with fruit, fondue, pits bread, with avocado...the list goes on

Dark chocolate- I was never a milk chocolate person. People always thought I was strange for this especially women. I always thought it was just too rich, too sugary. However this wonderful concoction is amazing when it comes to fighting those craving for the sweetness, and as an added benefit it had flavonals that actually help you heart stays healthy! I keep a bar in my freezer and break off one block of it every time I need that little something.

Fish- Any kind of fish has become my new chicken. I used to eat SO much chicken but honestly it gets really boring and you just want to ear a burger! SO in order to keep me from just losing all self control I switched up my flavors! Salmon is an amazing tasty fish! Full of brain healthy omega 3 fatty acids!

Fish Tacos- I had to put this one in its own segment. Fish tacos have become a tradition in my house. My boyfriend would never try fish until I made this one night, and now this is his favorite menu item! I usually use Tilapia, with the normal taco fixings like guacamole, light sour cream, baby spinach, and homemade salsa!

Baby Spinach- I use this in place of regular iceberg lettuce. I am sure everyone knows the health benefits from this leafy green! And it’s so easy to add it into so many things! Add to burgers, make it into a spinach dip, tacos, salads, as a bed for fish with lemon juice squeezed on top.

Herbs/spices/lemon & Lime Juice- These have been an integral part to the low-fat lifestyle that we are leading now. I am a cook, and I love to do it! I grew up in the Midwest wear seasoning were salt, pepper and extra fat. However I have learned to cook with more flavors that add so many dimensions to the pallet than salt and pepper could ever reach!

Yogurt/ cottage cheese/ canned fruit- these have become our breakfast staples. We used to never eat breakfast because we didn’t have the time. Really we just didn’t make the time. But now I add a 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with tons of protein, top it with a 1/2 cup of yogurt or canned pineapples or peaches and im set. The protein from the cottage cheese helps me stay full enough until lunch so im not drooling at the snack machine when I get to work.

The number one cooking TOOL I would recommend for healthy eating habits, especially for those that are on the go and don’t have much time... a STEAMER!
It is so easy to put your rice/cous cous in the bottom and then with the steamer tray on top, place you cut up veggies and fish or chicken, press steam and walk away! Take your shower do the laundry and your food is ready without any stirring, or flipping! Plus there are no added fats or oils to the food because with the steam it keeps everything very moist and delicious!

I just wanted to share the experiences I have had.
Even with the smallest changes you can be the person you were always meant to be!
I am living proof! I once weighed over 210lbs! Now I am at 159 lbs and still losing!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! YOU’RE DOING GREAT! :) REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE WORTH IT!

Replies

• missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great ideas. And your enthusiasm practically leaps off the computer screen, which is refreshing and really sweet!
  • HulaCoop
    HulaCoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well thank you! I am just excited about the star of my new life! Its so great to finally see the changes i have been working so hard to see! :)
  • InIt2WinIt
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!!

I absolutely love hummus, spinach, & fish....those are my 3 fav things!! I make my egg white omelets w/ red & green bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, & loads & loads of sauteed spinach...ummm ummm ummm!!!!
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good luck saving the gall bladder. I lost mine a few years back and it is miserable in terms of digestion issues...I know you know what I mean. I wish I had known at the time that diet change was an option to potentially save it!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ack, I lost mine this time last year and I am still adjusting... so many things to learn!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good luck on saving the gall bladder. I fought for two years to save mine and finally gave up on the battle two years ago. I tried flushes and healthy eating, I think mine was just too far gone to save. While my digestive health has changed and my body can no longer process some foods the same way, I am glad I no longer have to live in fear of a painful attack. I also know people that tried to save it until the bad gall bladder almost killed them. It is really important to pay attention to your body when it comes to your gallbladder.
    The ideas you have shared are wonderful ideas that everyone should incorporate into their lifestyles as much as possible. Your accomplishments are amazing!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • jennstevens
    Options
    Here is a really great recipe for CousCous salad. It is one of my favs

14 1/2 oz can veggie broth
    1 box couscous
    1 large ripe tomato (i take the seeds out) - chopped
    1/2 cucumber (i take the seeds out) - small dice
    1/2 cup parsely
    4 oz - Feta
    2 green onions chopped fine

Dressing:
    4 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/8 tsp salt
    10 grinds black pepper

Cook couscous in veggie broth according to package directions. Transfer couscous to large bowl and allow to cool, once cool break up lumps with fingers.

Add tomato, green onion, feta, cucumber and parsley -mix. Add dressing, toss.

Salad is best served at room temperature.
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea on spinach. I never thought about replacing plain old romaine or iceberg with spinach, especially on fish tacos (one of my favs too, and yes everyone thought I was crazy!!! Try it with some lemon pepper or lime pepper..delish!)

Also, the cottage cheese with the yogurt is a great idea. I don't really like cottage cheese just plain, I definitely have to try that!