Hi, im back, more on race/ethnicity =)

Options

Replies

• skipbeat97
    Options
    I'm Irish, Scandinavian, and Portuguese.
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm an American mutt.

Mom's side: Irish-German
    Dad's side: English-Norwegian.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am Israeli. I was born there as where my parents. I consider myself American because I have been here since I was 1.5years old. I especially keep it to myself in the South....we have sadly come across many closed minded people here. I don't even like telling people we are Jewish..sad but true..those are the days I miss my Brooklyn NY where NO one cares what you are.
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My dad is from Italy and came to the US when he was 26. My mom from Iowa.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am American. Why doesn't anyone ever say that?

THIS!
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    50% german, about 50% bohemian and a smidge Fox indian.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    American..but half german.

Mom was born and raised in German.

Dad..somewhere in the united states. I keep asking but it changes. I think it's Organ?

To the person who's Jewesh..

Keep in mind you are in the Bible belt. o_o Also, it depends on where you live in the South.
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I don't know as my Dad's parents were both adopted. Record keeping was poor and they never disussed it with him. So he's a big question mark. Mum's parents were from Germany via Ellis Is.

I thinking learning were peoples' families are from is interesting so this has been a good thread to read.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am white and a US citizen. My mom was adopted so we have no family history. And my dad...not sure about them either...again generations of people born in the southern US.

My husband has Apache Indian in him, so we think that is pretty cool...but again, generations born in the US.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Note to everyone saying American... this thread is about ethnicity, not where you are from. I am proud to be American too, but race/ethnicity is about your roots, ancestral history. No one but native americans are ethnically American. Don't make this difficult. You all know what she is asking here. Geesh. Why does everything have to be a political debate? This is under Chit-Chat, Fun and games message board, let's all just chill! :drinker:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree, I'm American, my parents were born in America! Well my father was born in West Virginia, but a lot of people consider that as part of America!!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I have a very mixed ancestry. I don't even know what mostly I am. My ancestry includes: Arab, Persian, Central Asian and Mongolian blood and perhaps some Indian (not sure). I also forgot, my mom's grandpa is from Afghanistan. I always forget some of my ethnicities. I really want a ethnic test or whatever they are called.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I'm American.

Ethnicity: German/American Indian

Born in Germany.
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    mom and dad both from mexico. im mexican-american>> chicana :wink:

where are all my latinas on here anyway???!!!
    I have maybe 3 on my friends list on here.......lol
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I live America, was born in America, I am an American citizen, with that said- My ancestors from my dad's side are English and German, my moms side is German and French Canadian. Therefore I am, German, English, French Canadian descent. I am not a Native American and I feel it would be disrespectful to say that I am American. If I relocated to Japan and had a child w/my husband, that child would not be Japanese.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I find it very odd the way Americans so often refer to themselves as '1/16th Cherokee; 1/24th White Russian; 1/3 Irish'... what's that about? I don't know any other nation that does that. (And that's not because the US is somehow uniquely an immigrant culture, before anyone suggests that's the answer.... )
    The same thing applies to many Filipinos. I met a lot of people here in the Philippines who say their great-great-great-grandpa or grandma is Spanish or 1/2 Spanish. Or that they're like 1/8 Spanish, 1/8 Chinese, 3/4 Filipino etc. even though they look straight up Asian but of course looks can be deceiving.

Whether their reason might be but I think its none of our business if people want to acknowledge their ancestry, distant or not.
  • bnb1110
    bnb1110 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a proud American New Yorker. My Mom born raised Black American and Dad born raised in India. My husband born raised in Vienna, Austria. We are blessed with three healthy, intelligent, compassionate children who proudly embrace their heritage(s) on both sides.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm American. My ancestors were mostly German with a little Italian, Scots-Irish, and Blackfoot (might be Blackfeet, I know there is a difference but I don't know which I am).
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    What I meant was... people like me, at least 5 generation American, will still say they are Irish, or French, or Polish... yet they have to go back generations to find anyone not born here. By ethnicity I am French Canadian, German, and Native American. I am American tho.

I assume you mean you are from the United States. "American" would be your nationality, not your race/ethnicity. *That's* why people wouldn't say they're American when asked what their race/ethnicity is. One could try to argue that American is an ethnicity (as in common culture), but the U.S. is so diverse (and such a young country, relatively speaking) I wouldn't personally agree with that argument.
  • sammiliegh
    sammiliegh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Italian & Irish! :P