What was your tipping point?

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
* I started putting my size 10 jeans away and buying 12s, but that didn't do it.
* I got horrible stretch marks on my inner and outer thighs, but I just bought a cream and moved on
* My stomach would hang over the waistband of my jeans, but I pretended it didn't
* My mom mentioned my weight two visits in a row, I was getting close to the tipping point
* My husband picked me up bridal style, and I was embarrassed
* I finally stepped on the scale, saw my weight of 172.2 and body fat percent of 30.4, and I knew things needed to change before things got even worse. (I'm 5'9)

When did you reach your tipping point? What did you ignore? What were your excuses?

Replies

• empot
    empot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My tipping point is when I decided to lose weight before my wedding and stepped on the scale and it said 288 pounds. I swore I would never go over 200 pounds and now I was close to 300.

-I hadn't worn "real pants' in I don't know how long
    -I wouldn't be in pictures
    -I never went to social events.
    -I lied to myself about my habits.

That was just over a year ago.

I changed. Just broke into the 100's again, through old fashioned eating right and working out!
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I took a picture with my family on the 4th of July in 2010 and then saw the picture I was huge!!... When I tried on a pair of pants and had to go up to a size 20..I didn't buy them. I decided to go home and step on the scale..saw the numbers 263 come up and turned around and threw up...I was so disgusted with myself! I couldn't believe I had let myself do that! That was the day I changed everything! Since then I have lost almost 74 lbs! It is hard work but so worth it!
  • mrsbee48
    mrsbee48 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    your stories are inspirational!!! :smile:

My tipping point was while watching tv, they explained the impact of obesity on the heart. That did it for me as I had suffered 3 stokes last spring.:heart:
  • Beachchic1977
    Beachchic1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My tipping point was when I stepped on the scale to reveal a body that was 194.6 lbs. I'm 5'8" and my size 10 clothes were getting snug. a large frame as it is ( size 11 shoe), I knew I didn't need the extra weight. So here I am on my quest to be a healthier person .
  • lilawolf
    Options
    3 strokes are certainly an understandable tipping point! I am glad that you are now getting healthy :)
  • 1MandM1
    1MandM1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know what my tipping point was, I just decided "right, this is it!" one day :)

A few days into it though I did find a picture of me and I was horrified, that's helped me stick to it whereas before I have always given up after a week :D x
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    bump for later
  • lilawolf
    Options
    My tipping point was when I stepped on the scale to reveal a body that was 194.6 lbs. I'm 5'8" and my size 10 clothes were getting snug. a large frame as it is ( size 11 shoe), I knew I didn't need the extra weight. So here I am on my quest to be a healthier person .

I am a size 11 shoe too! I just have very curvy hips. I was out of my size 10 jeans at about 165lbs...
  • ghimm
    ghimm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My tipping point was when I went to the doctor, assuming I had gained around 10lbs that year (after losing 20 during the summer). I had actually gained 40lbs and was 20lbs heavier than I had ever been before.
  • CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I'd pick my baby up out of her crib and purposefully avoid looking at the mirror because of how I looked.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Like you I had several moments that stood out but never paid them much mind and I always thought i didn't look bad. My tipping point. Sitting on the floor with my grandson who patted my stomach and said Mimi Pillow, after which I had to crawl across the floor to a piece of furniture to drag my fat butt off the floor. I don't want to be known as the soft grandma pillow and be afraid that if I get down on the floor I may not be able to get back up.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My tipping point (or breaking point) should have been that number of 191.8 on the scale, but it wasn't. I joined the Biggest Loser Challenge at the base gym at that point and continued to hide from the camera. My TRUE tipping point was in mid-March, at 180.6, when I saw a picture taken of me in tight size 10's. My belly looked huge and I looked frumpy and awful. I just cried. I couldn't believe what I'd done to myself. That's when I joined MFP and took initiative to get the rest of that weight off. Now I'm at 143 lbs and a size 4/6. I wear mostly 5's in juniors. I am thrilled with what this site did for my motivation.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I went on a trip with two friends, one who used to be my boyfriend. I didn't want them to see me looking like a marshmallow with 4 toothpicks stuck in it. Joined in Jan and lost 5 pounds by March for the trip. Lost another 6 since then. I am only 5'1", so a little weight loss goes a long way. I feel better than I have in years and my blood pressure is down.
  • 23SVM88
    23SVM88 Posts: 47
    Options
    My tipping point was when I went to the doctor for my yearly visit, and my doctor told me that if I didn't lose weight, I wouldn't be able to have kids. At this point in my life I am not ready to have kids yet, but just hearing that scared the **** out of me :sad:
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I had many tipping points that have just piled on top of each other.

-scare of being diabetic
    -PCOS
    -wanting to play with my neice and nephew, and barely being able to bend.
    -helping my little sister with soccer and couldn't even speed walk to the ball after like a minute.
    -feeling fat and uncomfortable.
    -feeling like I can't breath becaues of the fat around my neck, and finding no comfortable position.

What really pushed me over this time?

-feeling like I could barely move without feeling all the weight and extra fat on me.
    -my boyfriend's grandpa dying and one of the last things he said to him was to lose weight and get healthy again, so we partnered up.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Opps. My ticker was WRONG.
  • MeggieMurad
    MeggieMurad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had many tipping points...
    - The heaviest I've been in my life was 325 pounds.... never thought i could get that big...
    - I became anemic because my diet was so bad, i was not taking in the proper amount of iron...
    - I don't get to shop with my friends when we go out, because I can't fit into the clothes that the shops sell, and
    - I have a fear of getting Type Two Diabetes like my dad...
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    At 34 (now 35) my blood pressure was very high and the DR has me monitoring it to see if he will put me on meds.

I hit my all time weight high (again) at 191lbs (I'm 5'3'' tall) at his office. I decided to try and lose weight between DRs visits and dropped almost 10. I found this site and haven't looked back.
  • AnnaMC1977
    AnnaMC1977 Posts: 241
    Options
    Not being able to fit into my 'fat pants' - size 10's. I normally wear a 4/6
    Getting out of breath on the elliptical trainer after just 10 min - used to go for 60
    My boyfriend jokingly calls me fat
    My fat pouch has spread
    I eat almost all unhealthy processed foods - used to eat much healthier
    Feel fat and bloated all the time.
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Mine was retiring 4 years ago at a size 10 and mostly wearing yoga pants (stretchy) since then. I had to go to a wedding and could barely fit into a size 12 that I had in the closet. I bought those extender button thingies to button onto the pants for extra room. No way was I buying a 14. I was so miserable at the wedding that I came home and started my journey. The scale was a WTF moment. I will get to goal and stay there.