Overwhelmed

Options
I just rejoined MFP about a week or two ago. Definately not my first attempt at weight loss though. I usually do it long enough to start feelig a little better and lighter then I give up and resort to my old habits. I have about 90-100 lbs to lose. Sometimes it just seems very overwhelming and like I'll never get there. Just wondering how some of you that lost those kinds of numbers stayed motivated and overcame the times you felt discouraged by the large amount you wanted to lose?

One thing that does help is seeing all the before and after pics. There are definately a lot of hardworking and determined people on MFP.

Replies

• nikkiharbor1
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey I had a total of 74lbs to lose. I am down to the last twelve. In the beginning I was very intimidated by the thought of having to lose so much weight. The one thing I would always ask myself was, "What's the alternative? Either put in the effort and lose the weight or give up and get even bigger and more unhappy." So, I decided to lose the weight. Losing weight is hard, maintaining your weight is hard, and being overweight is hard.....you just have to pick your which hard you want to deal with. Good luck to you!
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have about 90-100 lbs to lose. Sometimes it just seems very overwhelming and like I'll never get there.

A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step. I had that much to lose less than a year ago. It really is a daunting task when you think about it. But if it's too much to handle try breaking it up into smaller numbers. Set goals that are closer, like just losing 5-10 lbs and then seeing if you can lose more after that. There isn't a race or any time frame you need to have it done by unless you want that for yourself so there is no hurry.

For me personally I just know if I'd given up and not started I'd be heavier than I was, instead of 70lbs lighter and over half way to my goal, and I'm glad I kept going and didn't give up And I know that when I do finally get to my goal it will be worth it.
  • JourneyCC
    JourneyCC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the answer lies in a new perspective....

I have to tell myself the perspective I want, "this is a new way of living", "this is for your health" , "one small choice at a time", "if you fall down at breakfast, get yourself back up by lunchtime"........you get my drift.

If my perspective were always "OMG I have all this to lose" , "How am I going to do this", etc.......I don't even think I'd start.

Trust me, you CAN do this.!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    First, try not to think in terms of a deadline. There's no reason to rush. The weight will come off in time, just like making house/car payments until the loan is paid off. Yes, the mortgage/loan is a huge number if you think about the amount owed, but the monthly amount is (usually) pretty affordable and not so scary, yes? So instead of thinking, "Oh my god. I have to lose 100 pounds," think of it as, "I'm going to lose 8-10 pounds per month until I'm finished."

It also helps to make some mini-goals. They'll give you a sense of achievement and something fun to aim for. It helps me keep my mind off the big number. If you look at my ticker, you'll see my goal weight is 299. That's not my ultimate goal; it's a short-term goal to get under 300 pounds. Seeing a ticker with 20-something pounds to go is a lot more encouraging than seeing a ticker with 160-some pounds to go. ;) Once I reach 299, I'll change the ticker goal weight to 275 or 250, depending on how I feel then.

I also have some "fun" mini-goals. Examples: when I weigh 275, I'm going to buy a plane ticket because I'll be small enough to fit in one seat again. When I get under 200, I'm going to buy a ticket to Cedar Point because I'll be small enough to ride coasters again. Stuff like that.
  • adreeea
    adreeea Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think you're right about having to change my perspective. Right now I'll just focus on reaching my small goals one at a time instead of the end result. The hurried mental timeline that keeps popping up in my head has to go too but it's hard when you have the yo-yo diet mentality for so long. However, that mentality got me smaller for a couple months and then bigger than I started.

Thanks again for the perspective.
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My problem is my impatience! If I have a bad week or day, I used to get discouraged. I am trying to: 1. only think of smaller goals- right now all I can think about is 20 lbs. 2. When I feel discouraged I'm saying to myself-"Get mad, get determined, not discouraged!" I was on a week long plateau, (the MFP community gave me great support!), even when I was exercising like crazy & under my calories every day. I changed my exercise a little and upped my calories a little. SO glad I didn't give up, I lost 3 lbs.!! Good luck to you,
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    defiantly small goals...just take each 10 pounds at a time..and dont beat yourself up if you slip up once in awhile..I still do..I am slipping today on Chinese food ;)
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can abolutely relate to your feelings. I have 100lbs to lose as well. The previous posters are all right - don't rush yourself, set smaller goals, keep at it.

For me, the nuts and bolts of this journey haven't been eating right and exercising. I know how to do those things and if you think about it, eating healthy really isn't that hard. The kicker for me has been changing my relationship with food. The saying "Live to eat or eat to live" rings true. Before, I lived to eat...I loved to eat. I ate for any reason I could think of! Sadness, joy, boredom - you name it. I've had to not only uncover the emotions behind my eating habits, but actually face them head on. It's not always easy and sometimes I don't do well. When I changed my perspective and realized this journey is about more than weight loss, the patience I gave myself increased tremendously.

What's also helped me is to keep track of non-scale victories. I've been keeping track of body fat percentage lost and each month that total gets bigger! I look at things like my overall energy, self-confidence, being able to lift my handicapped child without feeling like I'm going into cardiac arrest, not feeling so sluggish all the time, clothing fitting better and sleeping soundly. When we tie ourselves to the number the scale flashes, it's easy to become discouraged and overwhelmed.

Be good to yourself through this. Set realistic goals. Understand that this is a journey of progress, not perfection.

And remember one thing: you have value and purpose in this life. You are worth every drop of sweat, every victory - big or small.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I concentrate on getting through one day at a time. Altogether I need to lose 83 lbs and so far I have lost 35 lbs. I think the mini goal is important in setting. I am focused on losing 5 more lbs before my husband comes home in 4 -5 weeks from deployment.

I lose weight very slowly. I also don't get discouraged or frustrated when I lose 2-3 lbs then gain 1 -2 lbs the next day even though I have been good. I just trust the process. I was on a month long plateau the month of May. I think I lost 1 lb. even though I was so good. I just started lifting weights and I think I was in the process of turning fat into muscle. During that month friends would comment on how much thinner I looked.

Best advice I got from a MFP: SLOW PROGRESS IS STILL PROGRESS AND NOT GAINING.
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The hurried mental timeline that keeps popping up in my head has to go too but it's hard when you have the yo-yo diet mentality for so long. However, that mentality got me smaller for a couple months and then bigger than I started.

I agree with what everyone else has said - take it small chunks at a time. I counsel people on this topic all the time and my answer is always the same:

1. Choose YOUR why. Why do you want to do this? It has to be important to YOU. Doesn't matter what society, your friends, or your family say to you - it has to be for you. Your dreams must be stronger than your excuses.

2. Don't think of this as a D-I-E-T. This is a lifestyle change and it's for a healthier version of you. As you mentioned, that "yo-yo" mindset is going to just keep you going down and then further back up on your weight. Learn about and then take small changes in your nutritional habits. A good nutrition plan is always about moderation, never about depriving yourself.

Start somewhere and move on from there. It'll take time, but you will get there. Slow and steady wins the race!

Let me know if you need help!

Mel
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My problem is my impatience! If I have a bad week or day, I used to get discouraged. I am trying to: 1. only think of smaller goals- right now all I can think about is 20 lbs. 2. When I feel discouraged I'm saying to myself-"Get mad, get determined, not discouraged!" I was on a week long plateau, (the MFP community gave me great support!), even when I was exercising like crazy & under my calories every day. I changed my exercise a little and upped my calories a little. SO glad I didn't give up, I lost 3 lbs.!! Good luck to you,
    One week is not a plateau. A plateau is generally defined as 6-8 weeks without a loss. Not losing for one week is completely normal. Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes you'll lose 1 pound, then 0 pounds, then 3 pounds, then 1 pound, then 0 pounds, then 0 again, then gain 1, then lose 3, then lose 2 and stop again.