Calorie Consumtion

Options
I am needing some advice on the number of calories I need to be consuming. I started out the day with needing 1980 calories. After two aerobic sessions and 20 minutes on a bike it was raised to 3014. After eating my three meals and snacks, it is daying I still have 1384 calories left to consume. The thing is I can't eat any more, It is 8pm and It would have to eat the rest of the night to get that goal. Will this be bad for me in the long run, or is the deficit created since I have bumped my workouts up start helping me to burn fat?

Replies

• jcompton3821
    Options
    I'm with you!! I'm totally confused!! I just try and eat the 1200 calories and work out the limit I set...who knows...I'm probably doing it wrong!!
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Most people would say to try and eat them. However my philosophy is (and my doctors) at this point take advantage of not needing to eat them for as long as you can. Once your calories start dropping, as your weight drops, then take advantage of eating your extra calories.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned last night that if your daily intake is 1200 then you should be eating at least 1200 before diet and exercise. Then whateve else you have leftover is bankable. That;s pretty much how weight watchers works.
  • CJeffs
    CJeffs Posts: 7
    Options
    I try to stay within my original calorie goal even with the exercise. My thought is exercise would be wasted if I just eat everything I burned. obviously I have no scientific backing but its my opinion.

Good luck
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    For my deduction of how this site works, when you fill out the profile, you are given a daily calorie amount based on how you answer. Ex: I should be eating 1390 a day (pre exercise). This is 500 calories under what I burn throughout the day with normal activities. If I exercise and burn 300 calories, that is outside of what I need to eat and what I burn every day. Now I suppose it is your choice if you want to eat those calories, but the "recommended" weight loss of a pound a week is accounted for before you enter your exercise. I like the set up because for a lot of people probably have a bit of a number shock when starting calorie counting and this gives you some wiggle room. As far as the OP goes, don't force yourself to eat just to hit a number. Consider it a bonus for those days when you want some pizza, or don't have time for all that working out. Hope this helps!!:smile:
  • mbrooke
    Options
    From what I remember we need to eat the basic number of calories we are given, This is what the body needs to run your body for the day. Any extra calories you earn through exercise are a bonus either helping to burn calories, curb hunger, or just helping speed up your metabolism. I would just make sure you are satisfied and not hungry. Keep up the good work .
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Basically - MFP puts you at a caloric deficit already to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week. (You set it in your goals). So, if you were to just diet alone, you would be at a 3500 calorie deficit (or more) for the week to lose at least a pound. Now, once you exercise you burn calories, making the deficit larger - which in theory would cause more weight loss. However, you must make sure that you don't go into starvation mode. So, for right now, I would just go to bed happy for those extra calories you didn't need today. If you start to plateau, then you can increase your calorie intake to push you through the plateau. I have seen that zig zagging your calories (varying how many you eat day to day, week to week) will keep you from hitting a plateau.

I hope that, in a nutshell, makes some sense. :smile:

Newbies - here is a good resource: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Everyone on here that has questions about eating exercise calories and what not....read this first!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

These links will answer your questions, and are based on fact, science, and proven weight loss of MFP's successful members.

MFP sets your body at a defecit already for calories, you need to consume at least half of your exercise calories. If you don't, yes you will drop weight quickly...but only in the beginning.

Hope this helps.
  • jesielin23
    jesielin23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you shouldn't eat if you aren't hungry...I mean, within reason..as long as you are eating healthy 3 meals and snacks and drinking enough water then I wouldn't force yourself to eat..
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree w/most everyone here...MFP figures in your exercise deficit already. Don't force yourself to eat more calories that aren't needed.

No one should ever go below 1200 calories per day! Your body will go into starvation mode and will begin to store fat in order to protect itself.

Just because you may not feel hungry during the day doesn't mean you shouldn't eat. Actually, you should eat BEFORE you get hungry. Once your tummy starts growling, your body is already in the process of storing fat. Eat at least every 2.5 - 3 hrs. and STOP eating at least 3 hrs. before you go to bed at night.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question. I work out hard for like 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. My calorie goal is 1200 until I input my exercise then it's like I earn 800 - 900 more! This confuses me but I can tell that I need to eat more when I'm only around the 1200. I don't consume all of my calories either, but I stay confused as to how I'm supposed to go about this. I figure as long as the site isn't telling me I'm eating too little, then I'm fine. It certainly does feel great to know I have those calories there that I'm not going to consume though I could! :)