question about running and nutrition

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to MFP and I'm really starting to enjoy running. I just have a quick question. What do you guys recommend for a snack before your run? How long before your run should you eat it? What about post run? Any input/ideas are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on when you run. I used to run in the mornings, so I would eat my breakfast and then wait maybe 30 min before I hit the road. My breakfast was either oatmeal or Special K with red berries. If I was running late but still wanted to get a quick jog in, I would eat afterwards, which usually was some sort of green smoothie I made and brought it with me.

Now because of a schedule change, I run at night around 8 or 9. I usually have dinner around 6 or 7, so I don't need to have a snack directly before my runs.

Remember to also drink lotssss of water!
  • Noc6285
    Noc6285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here are some takes on what other runners eat pre and post run
    http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/nutrition-weight-loss/general-nutrition/pre-post-run-meals

I would suggest at least 30mins prior, if I eat closer than that to my run I always have tasty burps...
    Bananas are good pre run because for one they are mainly carbs and second is the potassium content which helps prevent cramping and what not.
    Unless you are going to be running for an hour or longer I don't think there is much need to load up on carbs for energy...you can burn fat for energy instead. Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far I'm running. For a 30-40 minute run, I can go on an empty stomach if I go first thing in the morning. I try to at least get a couple of cups of water in me, and then off I go. If I feel hungry, I might eat a half a banana or one of those Nature Valley Granola Thins right when I wake up and while I'm drinking my water.

When I get back, I usually eat breakfast once I've stretched and cooled down. Now that school has started, I run, drink a glass of chocolate milk, take my kid to school, and then eat breakfast when I get back - the chocolate milk holds me over for the hour or so between getting the kid off to school and getting home to breakfast.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nothing before. I feel much more comfortable exercising without having eaten before. I only run 5 or 10k and therefore don't need to 'fuel up', prior to running. If I run in the morning I will wait until lunchtime, otherwise whenever my next meal is.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to the whole running thing too!
    I want to know WHAT runners eat...

I usually eat after I run... I don't usually wait at all... I'm a huge breakfast person... I just drink LOTS of water and a bowl of oatmeal and milk.

In the evenings I usually try not to run right after I eat, I give it an hour or do some extensive stretching just to give my body time to digest.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Carbs of some sort. I hate bananas so not those. Sometimes I will have rice or a piece of bread. With other stuff, like I will sometimes have hummus and pita.