trouble losing weight on birth control

Options
Has anyone had a really hard time losing weight while on birth control pills? The pounds will not come off and I stay the same weight whether I exercise everyday or never. I'm definitely frustrated. The only time I was ever able to lose weight was when I was off birth control so I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Replies

• leahruff
    leahruff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing is happening to me aswell! Eating well and exercising loads and it just doesn't shift.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'll never take hormones again. We can suffer with condoms :)
  • ErinReneeL
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I quit taking them. good luck!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I stopped hormone therapy and the weight is basically coming off with little effort. I eat very little processed food and have given up coffee creamer and ketchup. Kind of makes me mad too. Hormones were supposed to help, they didn't and I gained weight.

Oh well, live and learn I guess.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    try cerazette. it's progestogen only. i'm losing weight on it :)
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Which birth control do you use? I've been taking Yaz for years and it's never caused me any issues with weight loss, but I'm thinking about changing brand/type next month when I see my doctor.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am on the depo-provera and have been for about 5 years. At my heaviest I was 240, now i'm down to around 195 ish give or take. It is possible to loose weight while on birth control, you just have to have a lot of will power. Do some research, I heard the regular birth control pills are the hardest to loose weight on. Just got to find out whats best for you!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Was on them a few years ago and ballooned up (ALTHOUGH I was super unhealthy so I can not blame the pills ) and now have been hoping to get back on them but am afraid they will hinder weight loss. A lot of people say it isn't the actual pills that make you gain and maybe just the increased appetite but I can't say I know either way. I want one that won't make me crazy emotional but also wont stop weight loss (lol having a hard enough time as is right now!!)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I stopped hormone therapy and the weight is basically coming off with little effort. I eat very little processed food and have given up coffee creamer and ketchup. Kind of makes me mad too. Hormones were supposed to help, they didn't and I gained weight.

very off topic, but just curious why you gave up ketchup? Not like judging or being a douche at all I just am curious lol
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ive been on ortho cyclen for 7 months and i gaind 20 pounds when I started, however it was during the holidays so i doubt that has anything to do with it. ive lost almost 70 pounds wile on birth control losing an average of 2.75 pounds per week. I really dont think these effect my weight loss and id rather be fat than pregnant at the moment lol
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz and I haven't had any problems losing weight on it.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz and I haven't had any problems losing weight on it.

I just looked it up and apparently Yaz is good for women who have problems with bloating/water retention. It helps prevent it, I guess. What I read said it shouldn't cause a woman to gain weight or prevent her from losing, but not having the water retention is probably a plus to weight loss since that can be a bummer (and de-motivator).
  • skonly
    Options

very off topic, but just curious why you gave up ketchup? Not like judging or being a douche at all I just am curious lol

I decided to track my foods and see if there was anything to cut out and to get a general idea of what I was eating. Coffee creamer and ketchup seemed to really be adding up in calories. Too much sugar and not enough nutrients to justify it for me. It's not something I'll never have again. But now I just slice a tomato and stick a piece on the fork of what I would have used ketchup on. I did switch to sugar free creamer and that helped. Now I'm just using almond milk. I was having almost 400 calories a day of creamer. lol. So basically those two things stuck out as the worst I was doing in my diet. I'm so restricted on foods due to health reasons I didn't have much to cut back on. Not liking the coffee though. I will probably pick up some sugar free creamer at the store. The creamer is my addiction.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm down 80 lbs and I've been on Loestrin for years. Never had any trouble losing weight.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    its been proven that it only affects water weight- and only by 1-5lbs - im on the pill and it only drops my weigh 2lbs when i come off
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Never had a problem whatsoever with birth control and losing weight. I take them for a medical condition (as well as birth control) so to stop taking them isn't an option so I guess it is good it doesn't effect me. Maybe you should consider switching to something different.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    How are people still taking Yaz - there's a widespread recall on it! It's banned in my OB/GYN office... Yaz, Yazmine and one other sister med. Deaths, stroke and blood clots are a high risk, not just a risk.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am on the depo-provera and have been for about 5 years. At my heaviest I was 240, now i'm down to around 195 ish give or take. It is possible to loose weight while on birth control, you just have to have a lot of will power. Do some research, I heard the regular birth control pills are the hardest to loose weight on. Just got to find out whats best for you!

I gained 3 stone in 3 months on depo! There is no pill or jab that will work for everyone! All of us are different! I work in family planning and I see loads of people on different pills or jabs etc with different problems accorss the board! Try fiddling with your pill and see if that helps! I can't have anything hormonal at all because of the side effects but others have no problems at all! Trial and error are the only ways to get it sorted but you will need to be on any new meds for at least 3 months to see any changes!

Good luck!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've found the opposite. I was on cerazette. Came off, and found it harder to lose. I do think there's a correlation...
  • skonly
    Options

I gained 3 stone in 3 months on depo! There is no pill or jab that will work for everyone! All of us are different! I work in family planning and I see loads of people on different pills or jabs etc with different problems accorss the board! Try fiddling with your pill and see if that helps! I can't have anything hormonal at all because of the side effects but others have no problems at all! Trial and error are the only ways to get it sorted but you will need to be on any new meds for at least 3 months to see any changes!

Good luck!!

Smartest answer I've ever seen. I had to go on them for medical reasons. After 4 years of hell I got off. Things will be a lot different for women needing hormone therapy because their bodies are not doing what they should. Hormones are damn hard to control when there is a problem. I had no idea any of this would happen. So I ignore all the young one who read their insert and know everything. They can call me when they hit menopause and let me how things are going. lol.