Baking substitutes?

Options
So I've recently started baking more for my youth group, my friends, my family, and my new boyfriend. I was wondering if you guys might share your healthier baking ingrediants alternatives
example: butterilk= lowfat milk and lemon juice

Thank you!:)

Replies

• lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    think adding mushed up fruit ( like carrot cake ) to add moisture instead of some of the fat - apples , turnips, sweet potatoes, avocados, carrots and courgettes ( zucchini) can all be used

allot of people use stevia instead of sugar if you are OK with the taste
    or even sweeteners ( which i don;'t touch i'd rather have sugar than insoluble sugars and sugar alcohols and i don't like the cake!
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love baking cakes with a can of diet soda and the cake mix only! No eggs, oil, water....
    I have also used it with brownie mix (diet pepsi or diet dr. pepper) or beer bread mix (diet sprite).

I have an awesome recipe for pumpkin mini muffins using only a can of pumpkin and a box of cake mix...that's it!! YUMMY, especially with some sugar free or light cool whip!!!

Lots of people use applesauce instead of oil or egg beaters instead of egg too.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I use applesauce or banana in places of eggs in our recipes due to a food allergy.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    ^^ great idea for the eggs. I also use applesauce in place of oil. it makes it really nice and moist. VERY ripe bananas are nice to use for sweetness. I make some blueberry muffins with about 3 ripe mashed bananas and it's delicious. i'll send that recipe to you if you remind me!
  • WendySue67
    WendySue67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I recently started using white beans in place of half the fat in baked goods. I cooked them in the crock pot then pureed them in the food processor. This is the absolute BEST substitute I have found and my family doesn't even know I did it--you can't tell. It adds fiber AND a cup of white bean puree has only ONE gram of fat vs. what you would get with butter or oil. Just don't replace ALL the butter or oil or your baked goods will be dry.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Applesauce instead of oil and flax seed instead of eggs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I was using applesauce instead of oil, but my applesauce turned grey and fuzzy, so I used canned pumpkin instead last time... and it was a very happy accident.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    - Whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour
    - Applesauce, mashed bananas or plain non-fat yogurt instead of butter or oil
    - Reduce amout of sugar in recipes (I usually only use half the sugar because I don't like my baked goods to be overly sweet)
    - Use less calorie dense ingredients (nuts, chocolate chips etc.) by chopping them smaller, you still get the taste but with less calories
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    When ever I bake, what ever I bake. I use 1/2 the amount of requested oil, and replace the other half with either unsweetened apple or pear sauce. You can buy the apple sauce at the store, make sure its unsweetened. I can food at home. I always go either totally unsweetened or light sugar. I cannot tell you though how many times, my MIL has told me this that or the other is gross, I didnt put enough sugar in it. For me and my family its fine??? so I found the simplest solution for all involved. I do not share anything I can with my in laws. :laugh:

She knows i still can, she asks for some... and I tell her Oh you wont like it, i didnt add enough sugar. She says oh yea, thank you for not bringing me any. so its all even.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I was using applesauce instead of oil, but my applesauce turned grey and fuzzy, so I used canned pumpkin instead last time... and it was a very happy accident.

thank you, I grow squash every year, I would be able to use butter nut squash.. It is very similar to pumpkin, and a heck of a lot easier to process.
  • rayraygbs
    Options
    you can use greek yogurt as a substitute for a lot of things too! here is a link to a page to show how much to substitute for how much it calls for :) I use applesause to, that makes it a little sweeter (IMO). i also add things like flax seed to up the nutritional value without any taste
    http://chobani.com/community/blog/2011/04/chobani-kitchen-conversion-chart/
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    for anything that asks for 'heavy cream' i use fat free sour cream or fat free plain yogurt.

i also got hold of this stuff called carbquik to use instead of bisquik. has 90% less carbs.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Coconut or Almond flour, if using coconut flour youll need an extra egg/liquid
    Honey, maple syrup or palm sugar instead of molasses
    Coconut oil instead of veggie oil
    Coco powder melted with sweetner of choice instead of chocolate
    I used pumpkin instead of applesauce makes it sweeter
    i cant help with dairy im lactose and use coconut milk :)
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    sure! for cakes and cupcakes, replace the oil and water for any flavor of diet pop! egg whites instead of eggs.... you can replace oil and butter with applesauce or mashed bananas too! dark chocolate for milk chocolate.... almond milk instead of reg milk...
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just made some awesome muffins from the forks over knives cookbook. Made with whole wheat flour, applesauce, almond milk, as substitutes for reg flour, eggs, and oil, and cows milk.
  • omgdinosaurs
    Options
    I saw a recipe recently that used avocado instead of like half the butter in chocolate chip cookies. I haven't tried it myself because I don't like avocados, but apparently you can't taste it! Worth a shot. And yes applesauce instead of oil is fabulous. Egg beaters instead of eggs, and sometimes I do replace sugar with splenda or stevia!
  • dosmundos
    Options
    Yessss, I need some good ideas too.
    Thank you to everybody who has some.
  • SHAMLEYCHAR
    Options
    huh!!! diet soda ... im gonna try that!!!!!!!
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    there are lots of good recipes for cakes, cookies, muffins and cupcakes on Sparkpeople.com. It is a free site but you have to join to get to the recipes. They also have a really good calorie calculator.