Lower calorie red wines?

Options
This has probably been posted before,
but, are there any red wines which are lower calorie ??

I read that typical red wine is 25 calories per ounce, but that there are "diet" red wines, at only 100 calories per FOUR ounces? What is it called, anyone know?

anyone know any to recommend??? I am on tight budget, btw.

THANK YOU TO ANYONE who has an idea of a lower calorie red wine to try, or can link me to a similar thread.

Thank you.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Mix it with water
    Only way that it's going to happen
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    25 calories per ounce is the same thing as 100 calories for 4 ounces
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This has probably been posted before,
    but, are there any red wines which are lower calorie ??

I read that typical red wine is 25 calories per ounce, but that there are "diet" red wines, at only 100 calories per FOUR ounces? What is it called, anyone know?

anyone know any to recommend??? I am on tight budget, btw.

THANK YOU TO ANYONE who has an idea of a lower calorie red wine to try, or can link me to a similar thread.

Thank you.

not to be difficult, but wouldn't 25cal/oz and 100cal/4oz be the same? :tongue: i don't know any "diet" wines offhand, but then i'm far too picky about what i drink already.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    25 calories per ounce is the same thing as 100 calories for 4 ounces

hilarious
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Seriously, just enjoy whatever red wine you like...Captain Morgan says "drink responsibly"
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Don't risk buying a low calorie rubbish wine. Either enjoy a bottle of full bodied red, or shift over to white or rose which appear to have about a hundred calories less per bottle. Low cal wines will leave you wishing you hadn't bothered
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    lol! oh, sorry, you are all right!! sorry!:blushing:

when i posted this thread, i had closed this tab i'd been reading,
    just typed my question and got interrupted, so i just hit 'send' or whatever, without really reading it, and went offline, here is the article i read
    which says

//" When it comes to the number of calories in a glass of red wine, you can figure approximately 25 calories per ounce of red wine. So your glass of red wine at a typical restaurant tops out at 125 calories. While the standard "diet-friendly" glass of red wine only weighs in at 100 calories per 4 ounce, not bad!"//

http://wine.about.com/od/wineandhealth/f/How-Many-Calories-In-Red-Wine.htm

^so this article is false, there is no such thing as "standard diet-friendly" wines?
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    All it is suggesting is a 4oz pour instead of a 5oz pour to save 25 calories. I wouldn't split hairs over 25 calories.

Side note, the Sonoma diet? As someone who lives in Sonoma the only diet I see around here is drink as much wine as possible, fall down drunk, then run to your local winery for more wine.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've tried some 'diet' wines, they tend to be low in alcohol and weren't to my taste being simultaneously sweet and vinegary. But, let me know if you find a decent one and I'll be straight down the shop to get a bottle!
  • cindyridley01
    Options
    I drink Marcus James Cabernet Sauvignon. It's 90 calories for 5 oz. and I find it pretty tasty. You can find it anywhere.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I tend to count drinking my cheat day.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Looking at the breakdown of wine, 80-90% of the calories come from the alcohol in it. I guess you could just distill the alcohol out of it :laugh:

I say just enjoy it in moderation.
  • sarshine
    sarshine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SkinnyGirl alcohol is pushed as a diet alcohol, but generally they only vary by 10-20 calories (100 cals per 5 oz). If you plan on drinking a lot/the whole bottle, that helps. I found a useful site that compares all types of alcohol brands by name; use the live search at the top of the page to filter by type.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • Caymanhag
    Options
    Try the Light Grape Wine! I love the Red. Only 80 calories for 5 oz and it is really good...for a light wine! www.thelightgrape.com
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    SkinnyGirl alcohol is pushed as a diet alcohol, but generally they only vary by 10-20 calories (100 cals per 5 oz). If you plan on drinking a lot/the whole bottle, that helps. I found a useful site that compares all types of alcohol brands by name; use the live search at the top of the page to filter by type.

I was going to recommend SkinnyGirl, but the stuff I've tried is gross.
  • kennet66
    Options
    Researching the same topic at the moment and found an alternative that I'm going to give a shot. Diet white soda mixed with your favorite wine! Changes what you want(the wine!) but get a little bang for your buck. I'm also going to give Skinny Girl a shot which is what I've found for "diet" too; however, isn't a huge difference in calories unfortunately (only about 10-20 from my favorites). We'll see how it tastes...
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is 7 calories per gram and carbs are 4 calories per gram.

Sweeter wines have fewer calories because they have a lowered alcohol content.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I was going to order the Skinny-rita at Carrabba's last night until I realized that it had 110 calories while a regular old Cosmo had 130. Cosmo, please.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I was going to recommend SkinnyGirl, but the stuff I've tried is gross.
    Because it's watered down crap.

Enjoy wine, and then just drink less of it. Or make the bottle fit, like I do :drinker: