Atkins

Options
Well I've made up my mind and im going to give Atkins a try. Seems easy and not so boring....well at least the induction phase...I guess I NEED to see a drop in the number i see on the scale to actually PUSH me to want to continue with healthy habbits and exercise. Has anyone had success on Atkins? I need tips and motivation...:bigsmile:

Replies

• bvanam
    bvanam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider The South Beach Diet which is a sort of modified Atkins, but in my opinion, much healthier. They both are based on low carbs and high protein, but South Beach promotes lean protein and after 2 weeks reintroduces healthy carbs, such as fruit and and whole grains. Our whole family has had success on it. My son has lost 30 lbs and my daughter 20 lbs and they have kept it off following the diet's principles.
  • LCB12
    LCB12 Posts: 23
    Options
    Really? Well I saw the commercial about the new Atkins...and i got the free starter kit...3 free bars...and its kind of like the South Beach too...after the induction phase you begin to introduce more carbs...healthier versions..fruit and whole grains...I want to give it a try:smile:
  • tzvishear
    Options
    i agree. i have many friends who tried adkins, only to put back all the weight they lost. the south beach is much better if you dont want to be bothered counting calories and weighing your food. healthy eating and exercise is the really only wa y to lose and keep off the weight.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I was looking at Atkins again today........they only suggest 20 to 30 net carbs a day.....................not much.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I suggest lowering your carbs to 150 a day.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    This true. It's called new atkins advantage plan. Do you have the atkins book? It can help you plan your menu options.

Advice- If you are a whole grain carb lover -remove them from the house
    If you find you cannot live w/o whole grain carbs and want some, add them back gradually or you will see a 5lb minumum weight gain.
    Get leans cuts of mean and fatty fish. Have some prepared ahead of time so you can just go to the fridge and get them if you get hungry.

Good Luck

Really? Well I saw the commercial about the new Atkins...and i got the free starter kit...3 free bars...and its kind of like the South Beach too...after the induction phase you begin to introduce more carbs...healthier versions..fruit and whole grains...I want to give it a try:smile:
  • LCB12
    Options
    This true. It's called atkins for life. Do you have the atkins book? It can help you plan your menu options.

Advice- If you are a whole grain carb lover -remove them from the house
    If you find you cannot live w/o whole grain carbs and want some, add them back gradually or you will see a 5lb minumum weight gain.
    Get leans cuts of mean and fatty fish. Have some prepared ahead of time so you can just go to the fridge and get them if you get hungry.

Good Luck

Ok like for beef...what cuts are the best? Like Tri-Tip? I know it has to be lean but I have no idea what to get....chicken breast...fish what kind? Shrimp? Pork chops?
  • LCB12
    Options
    whoops I didnt do the quote right...sorry :frown:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Salmon, flounder, tilapia, sardines
    Beef - ground beef 80/20 drained and 93/7
    Turkey- ground or breast
    chicken- remove skin at will
    Limit shell fish they have carbs
    Eggs have one carb

Salad greens- spinach, lettuce, celery, cucumers each cup has one carb

This may help http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1105208/The-All-New-Atkins-Diet-Plan-lets-eat-forbidden-carbs-STILL-lose-weight.html

• klewis89
    Options
    ok, I have done the atkins diet. Here's what I did and some of my advice. About 4 years ago, I went on it. I stayed strictly on the induction phase for about a month and a half and lost approximately 20 pounds. For the next 4 and a half months, I would follow the induction phase, taking in no more than 20 carbs per day and then I would splurge a little on the weekend. I lost another 20 pounds doing this. I managed to keep the weight off for almost all 4 years. I started gaining some of the weight back last year, and right now I am at a total of 20 pounds that I have gained back. But the key is, like anything, you have to continue to eat like the plan says. However, I'm sure if you follow the plan like it says and start adding more carbs to your daily intake as you move onto phase 2, 3, and 4, you might be ok. But to me, it wasn't a healthy way to lose the weight, because I was able to drop the weight without excercising. The only reasons that I did Atkins, was because I had tried WW for about a month and a half with working out at least 3 times a week. I lost 18 pounds, but I couldn't tell and the other reason, was because one of my friends went on it and lost quite a bit of weight as well. You will notice a difference, but my advice if you do it is to follow each phase to retrain your mind and body to the correct way to eat. I hope this helps and good luck!
  • LCB12
    Options
    Salmon, flounder, tilapia, sardines
    Beef - ground beef 80/20 drained and 93/7
    Turkey- ground or breast
    chicken- remove skin at will
    Limit shell fish they have carbs
    Eggs have one carb

Salad greens- spinach, lettuce, celery, cucumers each cup has one carb

This may help http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1105208/The-All-New-Atkins-Diet-Plan-lets-eat-forbidden-carbs-STILL-lose-weight.html

OK so I was planning on eating Romaine lettuce and cucumbers....Egg whites...eating whole eggs once in a while...chicken breast...fish...and some lean beef... what else do I need to know?
  • LCB12
    Options
    ok, I have done the atkins diet. Here's what I did and some of my advice. About 4 years ago, I went on it. I stayed strictly on the induction phase for about a month and a half and lost approximately 20 pounds. For the next 4 and a half months, I would follow the induction phase, taking in no more than 20 carbs per day and then I would splurge a little on the weekend. I lost another 20 pounds doing this. I managed to keep the weight off for almost all 4 years. I started gaining some of the weight back last year, and right now I am at a total of 20 pounds that I have gained back. But the key is, like anything, you have to continue to eat like the plan says. However, I'm sure if you follow the plan like it says and start adding more carbs to your daily intake as you move onto phase 2, 3, and 4, you might be ok. But to me, it wasn't a healthy way to lose the weight, because I was able to drop the weight without excercising. The only reasons that I did Atkins, was because I had tried WW for about a month and a half with working out at least 3 times a week. I lost 18 pounds, but I couldn't tell and the other reason, was because one of my friends went on it and lost quite a bit of weight as well. You will notice a difference, but my advice if you do it is to follow each phase to retrain your mind and body to the correct way to eat. I hope this helps and good luck!

WOW....I've lost about 20 lbs..but all I was doing was eating less and I kick the "bad" food out of my diet forever...Fast Food..SODAs especially DIET..and white foods...white rice, pasta..and bread...well pretty much everything processed...I was doing P90X...I still am but not everyday...my fave is thier cardio... I hit a plateu so thats why I want to give this new Atkins a try...I need to see that number drop so I can stay motivated ... I'm 5'10 and 180lbs:frown:
  • klewis89
    Options
    Also, Atkins.com has a lot of information that you might find useful. It has a carb counter, a journal and recipes. I used it when I only had about 19 pounds to lose. It motivated me when I saw I only had 19 left, made me realize that I could do it......
  • LCB12
    Options
    Also, Atkins.com has a lot of information that you might find useful. It has a carb counter, a journal and recipes. I used it when I only had about 19 pounds to lose. It motivated me when I saw I only had 19 left, made me realize that I could do it......

Thats what I need...to SEE a change..that'll pretty much do it....It makes me unstoppable lol thank you so much:flowerforyou: