1 Year anniversary (PICS). Didn’t make my goal...

Options
alexveksler
alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
…but came pretty close. It has not been an easy journey. It never is, we all know that. My anniversary was 2 days ago, August 16, so I wanted to get my stats measured and get the final picture so I could compare with the one I took on August 16, 2011. Before I continue my rant, here are my stats and pics:
Height: 5’9”
Starting weight: 254LBs
Current weight: ~190LBs (still going)
Starting Body Fat: 32%
Current Body Fat: 21%
365 progress
before-and-after.jpg
Me in 2010
before2.jpg
IMG_5198copy.jpg
August 16, 2011
before1copy.jpg
August 16, 2012
after1.jpg
August 16, 2012 after my daily workout
after2.jpg
My goal was to reach 185LB, but making this kind of goals 1 year in advance for someone who has been overweight for a long time is unrealistic. My initial goal was to reach 200. Sounded like a good round number. Once I reached it, I have adjusted my weight goal by 5LB. While disappointed, I still think that I averaged around 1LB per week, which by all the standards is pretty good weight loss. And it was doable with an average working man’s lifestyle, like mine. Out of town business trips, family gatherings, drinks with friends, etc… We have to take these things into consideration and plan our nutrition and exercise around them.
What can I tell you about this experience? There have been plateaus, unexpected weight gains, which drove me nuts. Sometimes I would go 10 days and record the same weight. Ugh! But reading your comments and reading comments of success stories here helped me to stay focused on my long term goal and not worry too much about the short term progress.
Exercise: Local gym down the street was the best thing ever happened to me. While my home gym is still around and is served as a clothes hangers and storage, I found it more motivating to get out and do my exercises outside the home. About 8 months into my diet and exercise I wanted to try and see if I could workout everyday instead of taking weekends (or couple of days) off per week. You know what? I found it that it is totally OK to workout 7 days per week. And nice thing about it, you can combine an a cardio and weight lifting workouts without worrying about missing something that day. Daily trips to the gym allowed me to do cardio and take 1 weight lifting routine per day in the same day, alternating pushing (chest, shoulder, triceps) and pulling(biceps, back, legs) exercises. AND while working out 7 days per week, this allowed my muscles to recover from the fatigue. I slowly increased my time on elliptical trainer Precor 465 to a 60 minute (level 20/resistance18) workout. I would register around 850 calories burned, which was a good calorie deficit to my nutrition.
And then I had a bright idea. Why not do 30 minute cardio, stop and do a weight lifting routine. Then complete with second 30 minute cardio, followed by a second weight lifting routine? Guess what? It worked. I was not as tired and out of breath and was able to combine cardio and with an additional weight lifting routine in a same session. With good diet my weight started to move. Yay!!
Diet: It is no longer a diet. It is the way I eat and plan on eating if I want to maintain my weight. #1. I cook my own meals. With our lifestyles we will have plenty of opportunities to eat out. An electronic food scale (around $50. These things even come with a food database today) was the best thing happened in my kitchen. NOTHING was placed in my plate before it was checked. It will get easier as you cook and remember your food items. Still all my meats, fish, the things you cook in a large pieces and having to cut into your portions or pull out from the containers will be measured. I built my diet on more of a low carbohydrate concept. I COMPLETELY removed refined sugars. If it’s white, it is not used. Bread, pasta, crackers, rice, snacks, candy. GONE from my pantry. It is amazing that I can’t even look at the slice of bread right now. Also, salad dressings. GONE. Pam spray, balsamic vinegar, pepper and various salad spices gave me various flavors that I can live with for the rest of my life. Fruits were limited initially, but as I lost more weight, I slowly introduced more and more fruits. I am up to 60-70 grams of carbs per day and still able to lose weight. And that’s plenty to have few fruit servings daily.
That’s my story. My final thoughts about my rant:
1. Stay focused. If you read my post so far, you probably wanted to know what I did to lose 60LB
2. Do not get discouraged. You will succeed if you provide your body with good food and exercise. AND WATER. Make it your friend. Thanks to MiO’s various flavors, drink 10-12 cups per day. I do.
3. Monitor your progress daily. When you get stuck, generate nutrition and exercise reports and compare. Perhaps you need to some adjustment. Whether or not you think your body is a machine, you still a driver. And you are in control.
4. It is all about YOU. Not about your spouse, your partner, your family. You are doing this for yourself and it is the best feeling in the world to say “I did it”.
Good luck to Ya’ll. They say life begins after 50. And some of us are not 50 anymore. :smile:

Replies

• txcaveman
    txcaveman Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great story. I appreciate the "How" part. Remarkable transformation. Congratulations.
  • jennyann117
    jennyann117 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Way to go, you look great!!
  • ksb0602
    ksb0602 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!!!!
  • itsabouttime37
    itsabouttime37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its Amazing how different u look after just one year.
    Fabulous job :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Yay Alex! Awesome work and dedication!!!!
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of your progress so far! You look amazing. Keep up the awesome work!
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Love the biceps! You look marvelous.
  • alexveksler
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's been difficult, but now looking back, it is all worth it. The energy I have now is insane. I am 50 and lift and do more cardio than I did 30 years ago.

Thanks for kind words and you support.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You look phenomenal! Congratulations on your success! :flowerforyou:
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing job! Thanks for sharing your story I needed to hear that today.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. You're awesome and you look great!
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thanks, great info and advice
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    congrats, you look amazing. thanks for sharing
  • alexveksler
    Options
    Thanks again to all my MFPeeps!! If I can help 1 person with my story. Motivate him/her, help making decision to stick to a plan or simply inspire them, this an icing on my cake :)

My food diary is open and I have been recording every single day. There few days were I missed, but for the most part you can see my progress along with my food and exercise data.
  • kluvfreddy
    kluvfreddy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job, Congrats!!!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Congrats!
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You look great. Well done! Thanks for sharing your story and ideas that have worked. Congrats!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Thanks for all of the advice. You look amazing, by the way. Congratulations! :drinker:
  • Lcnena209
    Options
    congratulations on a job very well done.
  • Jurdoc2be
    Options
    Great job. You can really tell that you exercised while you lost and not just lost.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!