Hating the taste of meat?

Options
I'm just wondering if any of you have the same issue with meat. I am not a vegetarian but I've been seriously considering trying that route. My family buys organic chicken breast and grass fed beef - good cuts, and I just don't like the taste. I'm not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but the chicken tastes super super gamy and the beef tastes like I'm eating a cow. I know it sounds silly because I 'AM' eating game and beef comes from cows but it just tastes nasty. Side-note: Most chicken/steak/meat from restaurants don't have this taste for me and I like them. I like tofu...I guess that's what my options are right now protein-wise.

Replies

• metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    house6.jpg

I think it's gross. I stopped eating meat when I was a little kid because of that. And I never looked back :)
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    house6.jpg

I think it's gross. I stopped eating meat when I was a little kid because of that. And I never looked back :)

I'm thinking this may be the way to go....!! I don't want to force myself to eat something that doesn't taste good just for the protein =/
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    I don't like it, either. I eat it to get my protein, but that doesn't mean I like to eat it.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    I was a vegeterian for 10years until this year and I honestly don't like meat. I liked chicken at first but now I don't, I prefer to eat fish,eggs, protein powder and tofu for protein.
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Every so often it just grosses me out as I'm eating it. I'm not a vegetarian either, but I don't eat pork, red meat, and I seldom eat chicken.
  • skessa
    skessa Posts: 13
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. There's other ways to get protein, even without eating lots of soy.
    Btw, the reason the organic meat tastes "more like that" is because the animals are allowed to grow at a natural pace, and build more and stronger muscles by running around outside, so yes, it tastes way more like the stuff it actually is. That's why I, and other people who do like the taste of meat, like it better. But there's nothing wrong with not liking it - don't let the "low carb"-enthusiasts get to you. :wink:
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting?
    If you are getting a sufficient amount (look up limited recommendations), then perhaps your body is like stop giving me more protein...
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The reason I initially wanted to go vegetarian was because I lost my taste for meat. It was a pretty easy transition and at the end, I really felt like I was forcing myself to eat it. Haven't had any in 5 years and don't regret it.

And there are other ways to get your protein.
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It could be that the place that your family is getting it from kills it incorrectly and the adrenaline is pumped into the meet giving it that taste, or what skessa said.

also remember things like black beens and quinoa are good sources of protein
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    hate to break it to you, your fam is buying bad meat, or they just dont know how to cook it
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten beef, poultry, or pork in 15 years because I don't like it. And I don't miss it. I was eating fish for a while, but it's really been grossing me out lately. So I'm moving away from it, too.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have never liked the taste or texture of meat. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years now and I don't miss it at all. There are plenty of ways to give your body protein without eating meat. And remember, you can try it out without committing to anything. Try going vegetarian for a week or two just to see how you feel and then go from there.
  • pr33mi3mom
    pr33mi3mom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I thought I was alone! Three months ago I was eating pretty much whatever. Since I've made all these diet changes and started working out regularly, I notice I want grains, nuts, seeds, veggies and fruits. About the only meat that sounds okay is chicken. Red meat tastes too gamey and pork is blecht. Bacon sounds repulsive.
    I should add that I only eat organic, grass fed, free range, etc. meats.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't like the taste of meat and only like meat when it's tasteless. Like people who eat bland fish. If you don't like it, don't eat it.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat in January. All of the nasty chemicals and other crap they put in it is probably what you're tasting. Even "organic" meat has a funny taste to it I think. But I still eat fish, eggs, and cheese so I am not a vegan. Watch the movie "Food Inc." and it may just change the way you view eating meat. And, you can get all the protein and other nutrients you need without eating our four-legged brothers and winged sisters! Good luck to you :wink:
  • AcetoneForever
    Options
    I think the problem is that the meat your family buys is organic. I'm not saying buying organic is a problem but it could be that you don't like the taste of organic meat it often has a different texture and flavour to non organic meat. When I was younger my mother switched to organic and I couldn't stand the taste of beef any more no matter what the cut was even hamburgers. I'd suggest not eating meat at home if you don't like it you can still get plenty protein in your diet from nuts, fish, yogurts etc. you can still always just eat meat when you eat at a restaurant.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Gosh! Thanks everyone for the replies, gives me a lot to think about!! You all are great =] Glad I'm not alone in this either!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I go through spurts where meat grosses me out too. Some weeks I'll eat only a couple of servings of meat and then other weeks, I'll eat meat every day. It's odd.
  • hs1956
    hs1956 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have not eaten meat since 1985 and never regretted my decision. I raised two children with a meat free diet and as adults, they are still meat free. Both were year-round competitive swimmers (decent race times, too) throughout childhood and ran cross country in middle and high school. Their athleticism and muscle mass was not affected by the meat-free diet. We do eat eggs and dairy products . Having enough protein has never been an issue but iron can be. If you eat bread products and cereals, they are fortified with enough iron to meet MDR.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    I go through spurts where meat grosses me out too. Some weeks I'll eat only a couple of servings of meat and then other weeks, I'll eat meat every day. It's odd.

Same here. I just look at raw/cooked hamburger and sometimes think that I'd rather drink cat piss than eat that. Than other times I could easily eat three at once. Though I was a vegetarian from since I was born till I was fifteen so I think that probably has a large part to play.