Undereating advice

Options
I just joined a few days ago and have been filling in my food and exercise diary and am having trouble not under eating or eating enough to make my weight loss effective.
I usually have a few pieces of fruit for breakfast. For lunch usually salad with some protein or vegetables and protein (sometimes some potatoes).
I don't really eat a dinner maybe a few more pieces of fruit or some soup.
I snack at work usually a piece of bread/cheese/salami/cup of soup.
I work in a tavern as a chef and so I am standing for 5-10 hours a day.
I ride on an exercise bike 25km a day usually 6 days a week (low resistance/high rpm: 35-55 mins depending on how fast I go) and I ride a bicycle to and from work.

The main reason I don't eat dinner or just something small is I am not hungry, or I am too tired to cook when I get home as I work till late and I don't want to just get something fast and unhealthy out the freezer.
I try to avoid a lot of potatoes/pasta/bread because they make me extremely tired after I eat them (even brown bread).

Is there any tips anyone can give me or perhaps advice on quick and easy snacks that I maybe don't have to prepare that I can eat in the evening after work for those days when I am under eating.

Replies

• tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    To breakfast I would add greek yogurt and maybe granola

Add in some nuts or easy snacks like peanut butter and apples

Also if you don't mind leftovers, cook chicken for the week or hard boil eggs for the week.

A few suggestions. Hope they help. :)
  • AcetoneForever
    Options
    Thanks I like the sound of leftovers and the yogurt. Unfortunately peanut butter is not readily available here and if you can find it usually quite expensive as is granola and cereals because they are not very popular here (usually about $7 for a small box of most cereals because they are imported). When I lived in the UK I snacked on cereal quite a lot and now its not really an option which really peeves me!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Avocado...slice, salt, eat.

whole wheat tortilla...cheese...rotisserie chicken = quick and easy quesadilla

salad with nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, and leftover meat or boiled eggs on top.

boiled eggs mixed with greek yogurt, salt, pepper, whole wheat bread = healthy and easy egg salad. keep the yolks.,they're good for you.

or microwaveable rice bowls with canned tuna and steamable veggies...5 minutes and you're good to go

can of chili--turkey chili is 98% fat free and microwaves in like 2 minutes flat
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks I like the sound of leftovers and the yogurt. Unfortunately peanut butter is not readily available here and if you can find it usually quite expensive as is granola and cereals because they are not very popular here (usually about $7 for a small box of most cereals because they are imported). When I lived in the UK I snacked on cereal quite a lot and now its not really an option which really peeves me!

my mom used to roast her own granola in the oven using oatmeal, nuts, some seeds, not much sugar, etc. If it interests you, I am sure you could find some recipes online that you can modify with what you have locally. It can be kept forever in air tight jars (or in the freezer?). The good thing with granola is that you can eat it anytime of the day.
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A bit pot of soup will last you all week. I've found some great low fat recipes, here and on other sites. Tomorrow... enchilada soup!

The crock pot has become my best friend!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    another idea, you can cook batches of whatever you like (stew, soup, etc.) and freeze them in individual portions. That way, you can always get something healthy out of the freezer.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I eat scrambled eggs just about every morning...most of the time I also have some bacon, some cottage cheese, and sometimes fruit.

for dinner you could eat a huge salad with 2-4oz of protein and plenty of shredded cheese.

if possible, snack on nuts or sunflower seeds during the day.
  • AcetoneForever
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, frustrating that a couple things just aren't available here (microwaveable rice/ canned chilli) because they sounded super tasty!!! but the suggestions I can use are really appreciated and the quick recipes are great. I have a slow cooker and used it a lot in my old house but haven't used it since moving I just have to hide the left overs from my bf ^_^
    Thanks again for all the great suggestions, and I will definitely look into making my own granola because I've been going crazy without my cereal fix!
  • missdeeladydee
    missdeeladydee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem also, thanks for the tips. super helpful