Counting Calories

Options
Counting seems like such a "bleh" task, and it's not something that I want to spend my life doing. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it seem, for want of a better word, more entertaining?

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find it very tedious. I have learned not to run to the computer every time I eat something, but rather make a list and enter either all at night before bed or once in the afternoon and then finish before bed. Also, if you have an Iphone, you can download the app and just scan the food items. When I had one I was loving that!
  • TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    dont start. You wont stop.
  • Cassandram333
    Cassandram333 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It seems annoying but once you start you wont want to stop. You will feel out of control not knowing what's going into your body.
  • GijitsMom
    Options
    I try to find out what eatng establishment we are visiting and decide ahead of time what I will have. Then I record the meal and calories (on my i-phone). That way I avoid worrying about it and feel motivated not to eat more than I recorded.

For me calorie counting and visually seeing what I am putting in my mouth is the key to staying with it.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Counting seems like such a "bleh" task, and it's not something that I want to spend my life doing.

You don't have to. There are other strategies for losing weight.

Personally I like doing it as it makes you realise just how easy it is to over eat. Only takes a few minutes of my day to update my diary.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm strange....or detail oriented I guess, I enjoy logging my food. I find its important to know what I'm eating and how much calories/carbs etc I have left in the day for meals.

Didn't worry about them before and that's why I'm trying to lose all the weight.

If you don't like doing it, then don't. Whatever you find that works for you, all the better. No one here will force you to do it.
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeah Having the app on your phone makes it so much easier to just scan items and keep on top of it. It also makes it stand how just how many calories are packed in some items( 7 small gummi bears is about 150 empty calories!)
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    Counting calories makes me feel like I have control... I don't think I'll ever stop 'cause it sets my mind at ease. You don't have to do it if you don't want to, it's not everyone's cup of tea :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be a calorie counter, but in the end, the results spoke for themselves. I've lost about 40 lbs since joining MFP and it's the easiest weight I've ever lost. That is motivation enough to keep logging and counting. Being able to access your recent foods and most commonly used foods helps a lot, as do the recipe and "my meals" functions, for meals you have the same way on a regular basis. I don't have the app, but I'm sure being able to scan barcodes would really make it easier too.

As tedious as it is though, it works, and you might just have to decide if it's worth it or not. Plenty of people lose weight without calorie counting, so if you can do that, then do. If you've struggled with other ways, this might be a small sacrifice to make to achieving your goals.
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    They have phone apps now to do this. I do it on my iphone in 5 sec. I dont get whats so hard about it. I also like to see where Im at and where I need to be.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    I got the app on my android. Makes it easier if I try to cheat 'cause it has a bar code scanner ;)
  • Moiirah
    Moiirah Posts: 14
    Options
    I love all of the input, guys! Thanks for all of your help. I realized that eating what I wanted and thinking that it's okay was causing me more harm than good. I think I'll try this for a little bit and see how I do. Take it one day at a time, right?. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I find it bizarre to be converting something as multi-sensory as food into numbers and lists. It doesn't come naturally to me at all, and to be honest, I don't pay a lot of attention to the numbers - I pay more attention to my body, listening to my body and working out what it wants. If that means I go under or over my calorie limit, so be it. Healthy eating long precedes the modern convention of calorie counting!

I do log my food here, because it's interesting to have a record of what I've eaten, but I doubt I'll do it forever, because it seems so completely alien from the act of eating. However, I do also take photos of every meal I eat and post them in a Tumblr blog, and that is something I can see myself continuing to do - it captures the sensory aspect of food in a way that numbers and charts don't. I look at the MFP food chart, and it seems completely detached from the experience of eating - whereas I look at the photo of my meal and I relate it straight away to the experience of eating.

And apparently taking photos of one's meals is a more effective weightloss technique than counting calories - at least according to Tim Ferriss's The 4-Hour Body. The act of taking a photo makes you more mindful about what you eat.
  • Moiirah
    Options
    I never heard of that technique before. I can definitely see the benefits of doing so as humans are very visual and hands-on creatures. Have you been doing that for a long time?
  • Moiirah
    Options
    And apparently taking photos of one's meals is a more effective weightloss technique than counting calories - at least according to Tim Ferriss's The 4-Hour Body. The act of taking a photo makes you more mindful about what you eat.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Once you do it for a while it becomes a habit and not a big deal. Initially I felt the same as you, but this site makes it so easy there's no reason not to do it if you're serious about achieving your goals.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get healthy I think it is necessary for awhile. I makes you see it numbers what you are really eating. I know it has helped me to lose 65 lbs. Before I thought I thought I was eating correctly and couldn't figure out why I couldn't drop the excess weight. You have to be honest with yourself though.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I never heard of that technique before. I can definitely see the benefits of doing so as humans are very visual and hands-on creatures. Have you been doing that for a long time?

I was doing it for 6 months when I was unemployed, and then when I got a job, I stopped, because I was focusing more on my job - and I didn't really want to be taking photos of my lunch in front of my new colleagues, and have them think me a weirdo from the very start! But I've started doing it again over the summer vacation and plan to continue when I return to work - I'll just take a photo of my lunch before I go to work, since I make my lunch at home anyway!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Once you figure out a pattern, it takes no time at all to enter food in. I probably spend less than 60 seconds a day actually logging anything. I'll give you a few tips:

* When you hit "Add Food" in your diary and the list and search bar come up, click the dropdown at the end of "Or, add your favorites for:" and select "All Meals." Then if you eat the same thing during different meals in a day, it will always show up toward the top.

* If you're making a sandwich or salad or something you throw together in a pretty similar way most of the time, select "Remember Meals" under "Quick Tools." That will allow you to quickly add the entire thing but still tweak ingredients (change ham to turkey one day, or change the type of salad dressing, for example). If it's something made identically every time or made in a big batch rather than one serving, input it as a recipe instead.

* There's nothing wrong with eating the same or similar things every day. The more consistent you are with what you eat, the less you have to think about it.