I need help w/ some chicken and ground beef recipes please.

CountrySweetheart
CountrySweetheart Posts: 25
edited September 20 in Recipes
Since I'm new to watching every calorie that goes in my mouth, I never had any idea that all the old stuff I made was so high in calories when I never thought it would be. So, I'm in need of some low calorie recipes for boneless skinless chicken breats and ground beef. Once I'm out of thr ground beef I have now I will be switching to ground turkey so I'll just sub that for any beef recipes. Please just let me know your favorites because I don't have the time to go through thousands of pages on various websites. Thanks!

Replies

• NicoleAJordan
    NicoleAJordan Posts: 12 Member
    So I really enjoy buying chicken breasts, 2 little things of lime juice, and cilantro. I slice up the chicken breast and put the lime juice and about 1/4 cup cilantro pieces in a bowl and let it soak for a minute. Then throw it in a pan and cooked it on the stovetop over medium to high heat until chicken is cooked. Its delicious AND you cook it in the lime juice so there is no cooking oil or butter.
    As far as what to do with the chicken...sometimes I add fresh veggies and put it over brown rice with salsa/sour cream for a "fajita type" dinner...or what is really good is making a big salad...put the lime chicken on there with 1/4 cup black beans and top with salsa and light sour cream. Yummy!
  • Watch out on the ground turkey. A lot of companies use light & dark meat & other goodies to the point where there is as much fat as there is in 85/15 ground beef. If you're concerned about fat intake, use ground turkey breast.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    I Love this one for Chicken: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=500905
    and this one for beef: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=289675
    Although I MUCH prefer ground Turkey. You'll love it once you switch!
  • The quickest ``Pesto Chicken`` stir fry bite size pieces of chicken, once cooked add a table spoon of jarred pesto, toss and serve over some basmati rice or catelli smart pasta...Enjoy!
    I don`t eat beef so I cook up some ground turkey or chicken and add a package of onion soup mix, 1 can of mushroom soup mix and half cup water. Cook together for a few minutes and enjoy over a baked mashed potato or spaghetti.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    My favorite recipe in the world! (I use chicken tenders sometimes instead of a whole chicken cut up).

Blue-Ribbon Cranberry Chicken

1 16-ounce can whole cranberry sauce
    1 8-ounce bottle reduced-calorie Russian salad dressing with honey (about 1 cup) or regular Russian salad dressing
    1 envelope (1/2 of a 2-ounce package) onion soup mix
    1 2-1/2- to 3-pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
    Hot cooked rice (optional)

Preparation Bake:1 hour 30 minutesPrep:10 minutes

In a bowl, combine cranberry sauce, salad dressing, and soup mix. Remove and discard chicken skin, if you like. Arrange pieces in one layer in a 3-quart rectangular (13x9x2-inch) baking dish. Pour cranberry mixture over chicken pieces. Cover and chill the chicken mixture in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.

Bake the chicken mixture, uncovered, in a 300 degree F oven about 1-1/2 hours or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink, stirring glaze and spooning over chicken once or twice. Serve the chicken and glaze on a platter with hot cooked rice, if you like. Garnish the chicken with fresh rosemary, if you like. Makes 4 servings
  • Romba
    Here's another good one

Santa Fe Chicken
    1 Lg onion diced
    1 T butter or margarine
    1 1/4 C chicken broth
    1 C uncooked long grain rice
    1/8 t garlic powder
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves.
    3/4 C shredded Cheddar Cheese
    1 C salsa
    chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)

In large skillet, saute onion in butter/margarine until tender, add broth and salsa, bring to a boil, stir in rice and garlic powder, place chicken over rice, cover and simmer for 10 min, then turn chicken and cook tll chicken is done about 20 more min or longer. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand 5 min. Garnish with cilantro or fresh parsley if desired. Serves 4.

With mild salsa, this is not very spicy at all, vary the heat with the heat of your salsa.
  • Romba
    and one more...

Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

1-1/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
    2 cups water
    8 oz. spaghetti, uncooked, broken into 3-inch pieces
    1 bag (1 lb.) frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot blend
    1 can (10 oz.) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
    1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA (reduced fat) Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut up

SPRAY large skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken, cook and stir on medium-high heat 4 min. or until no longer pink.
    STIR in water. Bring to boil. Add spaghetti; cook 8 min. or until tender.
    ADD remaining ingredients; stir until well blended. Cook until VELVEETA is completely melted, stirring frequently.
  • Romba
    And here is a 'better for you' desert. Angel food cake is not as bad for you as most deserts out there, and this one uses fruit and is so easy. Plus it makes the whole house smell good when company is coming!!

Easy Angel Cake

1 pkg. Angel Food cake mix (one step)
    1 large (15-20oz.) can crushed pineapple undrained
    Cool Whip

Whisk dry mix and pineapple (incl. juice) together in large mixing bowl (preferably
    glass) till frothy and no dry mix shows. Pour into a 9x13 ungreased baking pan and bake
    for 30" in a preheated 350 oven without opening the door.
    Cool and frost with Cool Whip. Keep in refrigerator till serving time.
  • Watch out on the ground turkey. A lot of companies use light & dark meat & other goodies to the point where there is as much fat as there is in 85/15 ground beef. If you're concerned about fat intake, use ground turkey breast.

you can also get the nature's promise...i have switched to use only nature's promise meat of any kind. its a little more pricy, but not by much, and i know the price of it so i just make sure it is fit into the grocery budget, bc after knowing what is put into the regular meats, i wont go back!
    my husband (one to always go with generic items) even notices a difference in taste with the natures promise...try pounding the chicken breast out a little too, i learned this tip from the food network. it makes it seem like you get more, but you are getting the same amount (just a fool of the eye).
  • And here is a 'better for you' desert. Angel food cake is not as bad for you as most deserts out there, and this one uses fruit and is so easy. Plus it makes the whole house smell good when company is coming!!

Easy Angel Cake

1 pkg. Angel Food cake mix (one step)
    1 large (15-20oz.) can crushed pineapple undrained
    Cool Whip

Whisk dry mix and pineapple (incl. juice) together in large mixing bowl (preferably
    glass) till frothy and no dry mix shows. Pour into a 9x13 ungreased baking pan and bake
    for 30" in a preheated 350 oven without opening the door.
    Cool and frost with Cool Whip. Keep in refrigerator till serving time.

So it's only the angel food cake mix and the can of pineapple??? That sounds so easy and YUMMY!!!!
  • Romba
    YES IT IS YUMMY!!! Just eat in moderation because, even pineapple does have the most calories of almost any fruit, but you gotta eat something sometimes lol.
  • Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes :)
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product", mentioned in one of the recipes, is that even a food? :noway:
This discussion has been closed.