THE GOLF DIET by Roopdiggity

Options
Did you know that playing golf can help you shed pounds?

I can't believe it, but I'm doing it!

I found that there are a few places on the internet where they list calories burned doing certain activities... and since I love to play golf as much as I can, I decided to track my calories in and calories out using MFP.

Below are the calories burned for playing nine holes of golf, double the calories for a full round- 18 holes:
Walking & Carrying your clubs: 721
Using push cart: 718
Walking with a caddy: 613
Riding in a golf cart: 411

BACKGROUND:
I've always been a heavy eater at night, and that is what has been my biggest weakness or mistake during my adult life. I think since I grew up in a household where dinner was a time where mom made huge meals and we gorged, I developed some very bad habits. We grew up happy, but we were fat.

MY WIFE, MY LIFE:
My wife is tall and slender, and she was taught to eat every morning and then taper off her meals during the rest of the day. Her family is generally healthy, and none of them have weight problems or blood pressure issues. This is directly opposite from my family that has issues with HB pressure, Diabetes, and gout all of which scares the living daylights out of me!

My wife has never called me fat or has ever made me feel bad about my weight. She has always tried to be supportive, and she has never forced me into a diet or lifestyle that I would hate. But she has given me words of encouragement from time to time and now I've decided to take my wife's advice and just "FLIP MY EATING HABITS."

She has encouraged me to eat more calories early, and less at night and has had the patience to let me have free time to do activities that make me happy and fulfilled.

SIMPLE PLAN:
I've tried to change my eating habits by eating whatever I want or crave in the morning. This means if I am craving a steak or pork chops or hamburger... that's what I plan on having in the A.M. I try not to label my meals "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" because that limits you to the traditional breakfast, lunch and dinner food menus. What I'm trying to do, is eat what I like... but do it at different times during the day. I've found that I don't feel the need to gorge at lunch and dinner now, because I had my favorite food early in the morning!

I don't know if this will continue, but so far it's been a pretty positive experience.

I haven't been a big workout guy since college, so by just being active with golf has helped with my diet. Golf has been the catalyst for a diet that works for me and it has been peeling off the pounds. I suppose it's been the easy phase since I've only been doing this a couple of weeks, but I'm not gonna complain because it's starting to feel like I can really do this.

I was 275 a couple of weeks ago, now I'm 261 - and I've been feeling a lot better about myself. I can't wait to reach my goal... I just hope that I can sustain. If my progress starts to slow down, I plan on adding other activities that I love to do. I'm thinking of picking up tennis again, possibly swimming once or twice a week... who knows, if I keep dropping weight I might even take my wife out dancing again!!!! LOL

Feeling good... I hope you all do too!

God Bless

Roopdiggity

Replies

• gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! This is awesome!! Keep up the good work, you can do it!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It is very awesome. Keep fighting the good fight! =^_^=
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i agree with eating what you want, when you want. i rarely have 'breakfast' food for breakfast. steak for breakfast? eggs for dinner? hell yea!
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Dancing burns a lot of calories too...so maybe you and the Mrs. can even start that back again, before you're at your goal :smile:
  • roopdiggity
    Options
    Thanks for the comment, it's good to know that you're succeeding doing similar things.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Below are the calories burned for playing nine holes of golf, double the calories for a full round- 18 holes:
    Walking & Carrying your clubs: 721
    Using push cart: 718
    Walking with a caddy: 613
    Riding in a golf cart: 411

thanks for these. I sent them to my boyfriend.