New Heart Rate Monitor - Walmart $27 - Accurate?

Options
I had seen several posts on here that said the $27 HRM from Walmart was accurate and people were happy with it. So I finally picked one up today. Then, I went to a 2 hour Zumba-a-Thon fundraiser where we danced and danced and danced. The HRM said I burned 1,200 calories in the 100 minutes of dancing. Do you think it is accurate????? I was a sweaty mess as usual when leaving class but I had no idea its burn was that high.

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If it has a chest strap then it should be fairly accurate.
  • lovep90x
    lovep90x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    $27 is in my budget! Which hrm did you buy?
  • kemmy45
    kemmy45 Posts: 59
    Options
    What kind did you buy I want to go get one.
  • Izzyrb1234
    Options
    What kind was it please?
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's not one with a chest strap - it's the kind that reads on the wrist. Sportline S7 Heart Rate + Calorie Monitor. According to the Zumba instructor people burn 600 - 800 calories in an hour Zumba session so my 1,200 for 100 minutes seems entirely possible. I look forward to waring it tomorrow on a run where I am a little more comfortable about my calorie burn. I bought it to track the P90X workouts mostly.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I bought that same one and mine said I burned 47 calories during 30 day shred. Not likely plus I'm heavier than you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's not one with a chest strap - it's the kind that reads on the wrist. Sportline S7 Heart Rate + Calorie Monitor. According to the Zumba instructor people burn 600 - 800 calories in an hour Zumba session so my 1,200 for 100 minutes seems entirely possible. I look forward to waring it tomorrow on a run where I am a little more comfortable about my calorie burn. I bought it to track the P90X workouts mostly.

If it does not have a chest strap, then it's not accurate and needs to go back ASAP.

You want a decent HRM? Then invest in a Polar FT4... around 60 dollars on amazon, and much more accurate then some cheap wrist only HRM from walmart.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately if it doesn't have a chest strap then it is most likely not very accurate.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I bought that same one and mine said I burned 47 calories during 30 day shred. Not likely plus I'm heavier than you.

Did you remember to keep pressing the heart rate button during the workout to get an accurate read? I only burn 130 calories during the 30 day shred 22 minute workout I guess because it's more strength than cardio. But obviously 47 is not right.