NROLFW starting on Monday! SCARED!

Options
Oh oh the time has finally come. I have been reading online so much about NROLFW, then I read the book followed by reading even more online. Now I have just been to join a gym and booked a trainer to go with me through the moves on Monday.
But now I am really scared! The gym I have joined is mixed and it is tiny. All the machines including treadmill etc are facing the small free weight section. I am just scared to look like a fool. And I am just worried that I'll be intimated by the men and women in there. I feel so concious about myself being overweight etc. I love the idea of the program and reading all about it but now it is becoming reality I am really scared.

Did anyone else feel like that? I am glad to have a trainer for myself that will show me all the moves properly but still!

Is anybody else starting on Monday?

Any input would be appreciated!

Daisy

Replies

• innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Oh oh the time has finally come. I have been reading online so much about NROLFW, then I read the book followed by reading even more online. Now I have just been to join a gym and booked a trainer to go with me through the moves on Monday.
    But now I am really scared! The gym I have joined is mixed and it is tiny. All the machines including treadmill etc are facing the small free weight section. I am just scared to look like a fool. And I am just worried that I'll be intimated by the men and women in there. I feel so concious about myself being overweight etc. I love the idea of the program and reading all about it but now it is becoming reality I am really scared.

Did anyone else feel like that? I am glad to have a trainer for myself that will show me all the moves properly but still!

Is anybody else starting on Monday?

Any input would be appreciated!

Daisy

What is NROLFW?
  • masarc
    masarc Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes you should really specify I dont know what it is either!
  • leaann3
    leaann3 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women?
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Don't worry that other people will be watching. If anything, they will be impressed that you're doing such exercises. I will admit, some of the exercises will make you look stupid no matter how advanced you are. I was excited as heck when I started doing the dumbbell snatches and a trainer told me, that it was nice to actually see someone do those with good form. :smile:
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be scared of. I start Stage 4 on Monday. I was a little intimidated at first but got over it pretty quick. Now I walk into the weight room like I own it! I still fall over every now & then when doing lifts on one leg (dumbbell one-point row, Romanian deadliest, single leg partial squat) but I get up and finish my set. My results and my workout log speak for themselves :)

Good luck & lift something heavy!

Word of advise: Don't let the trainer talk you into using the Smith Machine for squats .
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women - great workout - you will surprise yourself at how much stronger you will feel!

Work with the trainer and don't be afraid to insist on the NROLFW program rather than the machines or the barbie weights! Go in with the book and the training sheets that you can download from their website. Most of the exercises in the program can be see on youtoube if you need a reminder of how to do them. You may be pleasantly surprised at how much help with form etc you will get from the other serious lifters one they see that you have a solid plan/program and you are working on getting fit.

If you have not already check out the the website you will find the link to the training logs and the support forum has a ton of really good info - many questions answered - even vids posted of some of the harder maneuvers. Stick with it you will see great gains!

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Nice!

Well I'm not with you in joining, but dont worry about other people, you have to start somewhere, right?

Good luck!! Post your progress.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be scared of. I start Stage 4 on Monday. I was a little intimidated at first but got over it pretty quick. Now I walk into the weight room like I own it! I still fall over every now & then when doing lifts on one leg (dumbbell one-point row, Romanian deadliest, single leg partial squat) but I get up and finish my set. My results and my workout log speak for themselves :)

Good luck & lift something heavy!

Word of advise: Don't let the trainer talk you into using the Smith Machine for squats .

HA! I'm starting Stage 4 on Monday as well. I tend to do these stages a little longer because me and my workout partner aren't necessarily consistent with getting to the gym together.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all the encouragement! I am still nervous but I guess there is no way around it. I'll update tomorrow how it went!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I DID IT! Yay! I am so happy! I was so scared to go to the gym today but I did go and it was great! The trainer was a really nice guy and was happy to show me all the stage 1 exercises. I was so nervous and shy at the beginning but soon felt ok and I really enjoyed the exercises! I loved it. Yes there were a couple of guys and yes they looked but it wasn't uncomfortable. I felt quite proud being there doing it! I probably will be a bit nervous again next time around but I can do it! And it felt good really to be the only girl in the weight section while all the others were suffering on the treadmill!

So to all the other girls that might worry- don't! Just go and do it and you will be glad you did it. I feel it will not just make me stronger physically but also me because I have to come out of my comfort zone and won't hide anymore!
  • Bransonlee
    Bransonlee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started Monday as well! Found workout B today to be a bit tougher! I have to do it at home being a stay-at-home mom though... no gym in our budget and our small town gym doesn't have day care anyway. Loving it so far!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I am sure you'll do great at home too! Are you part of the NROLFW group? Lot's of others doing it and great community!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I really do need more in my home. I think after reading his I might just buy some home equipment, but stillkeep my gym memership.