Can you get lean on a high carbohydrate diet??

Options
Will eating a high carbohydrate diet make it impossible to get truly lean becuase of the insulin that you produce? or can it still be done in this way if you consumer fewer calories than you eat and you exercise?

I am considering going vegetarian and am allergic to soy which will probably leave me on a pretty high carb diet most of the time...

but im also asking in general. what do people think? does anyone know for sure?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Will eating a high carbohydrate diet make it impossible to get truly lean becuase of the insulin that you produce? or can it still be done in this way if you consumer fewer calories than you eat and you exercise?

I am considering going vegetarian and am allergic to soy which will probably leave me on a pretty high carb diet most of the time...

but im also asking in general. what do people think? does anyone know for sure?

Depends on quite a few factors. You can lose weight on a high carb diet as long as you remain in a calorie deficit. I would question how much/how well you would retain lean mass in the absence of sufficient protein intake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As Sidesteal says, if you are at a calorie deficit, then generally, yes.

I just want to mention that vegetarian does not necessaily mean high carbs. I am at what I consider medium carbs (about 35 - 45%, depending on the day) and am a vegetarian. Its pretty easy to get protein from dairy which, I know are not low, but are also not that high in carbs. Also, there are other alternatives to soy such as quorn and seitan, both of which are relatively low carb.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Quorn is delicious and non-soy. :)
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a famous trainer that preps many top 20 pro bodybuilders using a high carb diet, right into the show. Seeing as those men are the leanest people on the planet...yes it is very possible. And their drug use is irrelevant, high carb diets work if done correctly.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ive lowered my body fat % significantly and haven't watched my carb intake.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Works just fine for most endurance athletes...the deficit is all that matters. Just get enough protein and fat
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My diet is high carb, and I'm losing weight and inches. I restrict my total calories, and I make sure I get enough protein, and I do a weekly check on my micro-nutrients. I still don't eat enough veggies, but I didn't used to eat them at all, except potatoes. To lose weight, you have burn more calories than you take in.
  • lilmisssunshine23
    Options
    Check out the McDougall plan. It's a high carb, low fat vegan plan. You can probably find good recipes there.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The difference in the types of carbs is how quickly or slowly they are digested. This directly relates to your energy levels. If you eat nothing but simple carbs, you will either have to eat more calories, or you will feel hungry much of the day. Complex carbs digest more slowly, so you feel fuller longer and you don't get the blood sugar drop that results in hunger.

Yes, there is a difference in carbs, but not as it directly relates to weight loss. Technically, you could lose weight by just eating one sleeve of saltines each day, but you will be awfully weak and hungry in doing so.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Im usually eating around 50-60% carbs and ive stayed lean. Some people go Under 45%, but this is simply not necessary. I wouldn't go any higher than 60% unless you are an endurance athlete either. Or some weight lifters may need a bit more but usually their calorie intake provides sufficient carbs unless restricting.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I cant help you im gluten intolerant and bloat/gain like crazy when i eat it :( best of luck though
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. I'm vegetarian and I eat a lotttt of carbs. I try to get a lot of protein too, though. I've lost weight fine but I too want to know if it's possible to get really lean this way.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, I've known quite a few women who have done so and I'm losing on a high carbohydrate diet.

Also, before protein supplements came into play in the 80s, a lot of body builders used to eat high carbohydrate diets and obviously they were very lean.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    not with my body!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant too (celiac) but my carb intake is around 60% too. It's mostly fruits but some veggies and rice too. Being gluten free isn't hard, you just have to tell your friends on the SAD eating habits that you have to pass on food when they offer you some.

EDIT: Oh and I want to add, I lost 60 lbs being on a high carb diet. It's all about eating foods closest to their living roots. (Oranges instead of orange juice; ham instead of sausage; etc)
  • Juneaux12
    Juneaux12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To the poster with the link to the UCTV Prime series on obesity,
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this link. I had not seen this series before, and it is absolutely
    a wake-up call in terms of what I eat every day and the effect it has on me! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I just finished a spreadsheet to check my progress for the last six weeks. My calorie deficit has averaged 4758 each week.

Daily average on my macros:
    Average Carbs: 196 grams daily
    Average Fat: 74 grams daily
    Average Protein: 79 grams daily

Weekly averages:
    Weight loss: 4.67 pounds per week
    Inches from waist: 1" per week
    Inches from hips: 1./2" per week

So far, my high carb diet is working splendidly. More importantly, I feel better than I have since I was a teenager, as far as energy and my mood. I know people like these low-carb and low-fat diets, but high carb is the way to go for me. :smokin:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Every athlete at the olympics is on a high carb diet. Are any of them lean?
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a famous trainer that preps many top 20 pro bodybuilders using a high carb diet, right into the show. Seeing as those men are the leanest people on the planet...yes it is very possible. And their drug use is irrelevant, high carb diets work if done correctly.

They inject massive amounts of HGH that counters the possible fat gain. Also, their muscles hold a TON of glycogen.

Generally, a deficit helps, but IMO carbs are empty calories. Fat and Protein are needed as building blocks in the body. Protein for organs, fats for hormones. Just dont be deficient in either and you can have carbs of course.