Healthier Alternatives Instead of Cookie(s)?

Options
OMG. I love cookies. Of almost all kinds!

What are some of the more healthier alternatives to turn to, to satisfy a cookie craving?

I need some new ideas.

Replies

• kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Why not bake your own?

There are plenty of healthy cookie recipes out there that use healthier flours and alternative sweeteners like agave or maple syrup.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    rice cake or single slice of wholegrain bread (like Feldkamp's) with a tablespoon of almond butter and a chopped medjool date...yum!!
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    when i really desperately need something sugary i eat cereal with skim milk. like, kid cereals. golden grahams and cocoa puffs :) it's not exactly a healthy meal but you get more for your calories, and a lot of kids' cereals now are made with whole grain and vitamin-enriched, so it's not a complete and total waste.

i also like to mix a big spoonful of dry oats with a TBSP peanut butter, a tsp or two of honey and just a few dark chocolate chips. it's kind of a sticky mess but tastes like a cookie and at least you know what's in it.

if you like brownies, i tried this microwave single-serving brownie that another user had posted the recipe for, and it was really good:
    1 TBSP whole wheat flour
    1 TBSP sugar (no substitutes--must be real sugar)
    1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch baking soda
    2 TBSP fat-free vanilla yogurt

mix everything up in a microwave-safe bowl or coffee mug and microwave it for 45-60 seconds. instant brownie for about 120 calories :) and it's actually pretty sizeable.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Power Crunch bars.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Check out the site Chocolate Covered Katie. I love her stuff. I made her healthy blondies and they were so so so good.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/18/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/
  • gingersnapx00
    Options
    Some grocery stores carry a brand called No Pudge brownies that are made from organic ingredients and all you do is add fat free vanilla yogurt to it and bake it. When i am in a fix, I make these and are not that many calories per serving and NO FAT:) Taste Awesome!
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I'm really craving cookies I grab 2-3 of my daughter's chocolatey chip Teddy Grahams. It seems to fix the craving
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It's called FRUIT.

No baking required :bigsmile:

If you really want to spruce it up, try partially freezing ripe bananas, insert a stick into one end half way through, then freeze all the way. They can eat these frozen or you can dip them (once frozen) in a bit of chocolate, then freeze again to harden the chocolate. Tastes great, doesn't cost a fortune, and it's a hell of a lot healthier than cookies.

ETA: I accidentally read that you were complaining about kids wanting cookies all the time. If so, this works for them, too :)
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    hehe heres my paleo friendly cookie recipe

Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients
    • ¼ cup sifted coconut flour
    • ¼ cup butter or virgin coconut oil
    • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
    • 3 eggs
    • 1/3 cup sugar----i dont use sugar i use xylitol :)
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • ¼ teaspoon vanilla
    ***1½ cups grated or flaked coconut optional

In a saucepan at low heat, melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla; stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Let batter rest for 4 to 5 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly. Drop batter by the spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 175 Degree C (350F) for 14 minutes. Makes about 16 cookies. ( it makes less if you want alot make a few batches.)

there like a macaroon
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    graham crackers
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why not bake your own?

There are plenty of healthy cookie recipes out there that use healthier flours and alternative sweeteners like agave or maple syrup.

^^^ This

Freshly baked is the best anyway, and "diet cookies" taste like *kitten*.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It's called FRUIT.

No baking required :bigsmile:

If you really want to spruce it up, try partially freezing ripe bananas, insert a stick into one end half way through, then freeze all the way. They can eat these frozen or you can dip them (once frozen) in a bit of chocolate, then freeze again to harden the chocolate. Tastes great, doesn't cost a fortune, and it's a hell of a lot healthier than cookies.

ETA: I accidentally read that you were complaining about kids wanting cookies all the time. If so, this works for them, too :)

mmmmm FRUIT COOKIES.... nom nom nom
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    graham crackers

Me too!!
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    granola bar
    or
    or a piece of toast with Dark Chocolate Almond Spread or Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Power Crunch bars.

Love Power Crunch bars, but that's a candy substitute, imo, not a cookie substitute. Sometimes, you just want a cookie.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i make low carb cookies with almond flour instead of white and truvia instead of sugar.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i am so saving this thread, just love the idea of a one cookie, or a one brownie recipe.

i have a cookie recipe, which i invented myself,
    very healthy, full of oats, raisins, some brown sugar,
    but, i have no idea how many calories in each cookie, but wow, they are so great,
    but,
    I DO end up with an entire batch of cookies..........sitting there.........calling to me.......for days.......

*sigh*

i like this "one cookie" recipe idea so so much!!

ALSO
    TO THE OP,
    one can budget in a cookie here or there, too. Those are YOUR daily calories, to spend as you see fit,
    and sometimes,
    a treat now or then, can be budgetted in.......so long as the one or two cookies does not send you reeling into a sugar-crave frenzy, or set up a habit or something like that,
    you CAN budget in treats now and then...............
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Your basic no frills Oatmeal cookie isn't all that bad. And there are some tweaks to the recipe that can make it a lot better like subbing flaxseed meal for some of the flower, easy does it with the sugar (and/or partial replacement with a zero calorie sweetener), and adding whey protein powder or greek yogurt to the recipe.

You can bake pretty healthy yourself.
  • 1thinmommaj
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I suggest date rolls (they are high in calories but healthy) http://www.shutterbean.com/2010/coconut-date-rolls/