When do you eat protein bars?

Options
OK so I bought a few protein bars the other day, because I had a coupon, and they are still sitting in my fridge. Are you supposed to eat them as a meal replacement? a snack? a dessert? How about before a workout, after a workout, or just because?

I bought chocolate ones and peanut butter ones, they look like candy bars, and to be honest, even though I have calories remaining at the end of the day I feel guilty thinking about eating one because its like a candy bar. The ones I bought are 170-180 cals each fyi.

thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat mine for a snack, usually between breakfast and lunch and I make sure the kind I get have at least 2g of fiber as well. Both help to keep you full, protein helps to build muscle so I snack on one after my workout too.

I have the chocolate and peanut butter ones (brand: fiber one) but I wouldn't recommend keeping them in the fridge.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go lift weights, I go to the bookstore at my college first to get a protein rice crispy treat. I always eat it after the workout because I'm always really hungry, and it holds me over until I'm out of class and can have dinner (usually around 8.) I will sometimes eat them for breakfast if I'm not going to eat a lot during the day because of work and classes just to make sure I get sufficient protein. Never as meal replacement, though. Never tried it.
  • ScottCadi
    Options
    I bought a bunch of them when I started my journey and have eaten very few of them.

I usually use them to build up my proteins for the day if I'm low. They "can" be used as a meal replacement, but I usually do a protein shake for breakfast, so I don't think it'd be good for me to use a bar for another. However, if I had a "naughty" lunch I may do so to try and keep my whole day on track (or close).
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I eat them for snacks when I am out because they are shelf stable. Some are glorified candy bars. I like the Quest bars and Detour bars best. The Pure Protein bars are pretty good with a lot of protein. I like the flavor of Luna bars but they don't have enough protein for me.
  • HMM163
    HMM163 Posts: 24
    Options
    I buy the Fiber One Protein bars. Dark Chocolate Almond and Chocolate Chip. About 130 calories per bar. I buy these because they are low in sodium which I need to watch. I eat them morning, noon and evening. It depends on my calories for the day and if I am hunger for a bar. I hope this helps.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't eat protein bars at all. There are a number of foods that provide more protein per ounce with fewer calories than protein bars.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Eat them either for a snack or when you have no other alternative
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I eat them when i'm HONGRY... usually after a workout. :happy:
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat them as a snack in the afternoon or post workout. Or if I have the kind that aren't chocolate coated, use them as a snack while on a long hike or bike ride. I like Clif brand - the builder's bars and the nut bars. Have also had other varieties that are good - the most difficult thing I find is getting a texture that doesn't seem like eating cardboard.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I eat Luna bars and Balance bars, ranging between 170-200 calories, with about 15 grams of protein each. I usually have one as a pre-workout snack about 1 to 2 hours before I work out. I have never used them as meal replacements because I eat bigger meals. :)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I keep a stash at work and in my gym bag incase I'm hungry and don't have immediate access to a non-processed meal/snack. I used to eat them quite a lot but after changing up my diet they've been relegated to emergency food.
  • leyte26
    leyte26 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i too was weary about eating them but have started having them for breakfeast on days i work out early. i have to eat before i work out but i find alot of food makes me not feel so great when working out early. i love it i eat them on the way to the gym or before a run and then i'm not starving when i'm done either.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I eat them as a snack when I know I might have a hard time finding a healthy snack or something. Like when I'm traveling or if I know it's going to be a busy day at work and I might need to grab something super-quick and easy to eat. I usually keep one in my desk and/or one in my purse just in case it's one of those days.
  • JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat them preworkout alone if I workout hard like more than 3 hours. I eat them post workout with other small things if I only workout for an hour.....sounds backwards but it's working for me so far.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I eat them for:

Breakfast
    A snack
    Within 30 minutes after heavy lifting
    When rock climbing for many hours and taking a break
    If I feel hungry and too lazy to cook
  • cmacohio1975
    cmacohio1975 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks... I work out in the evenings... and I was kinda hungry tonight so I ate one as a post workout snack. ... it wasn't very good. boo. tasted like weird chaulky chocolate. oh well. thanks for the replies. The kind I had was a pure protein chocolate deluxe.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    thanks... I work out in the evenings... and I was kinda hungry tonight so I ate one as a post workout snack. ... it wasn't very good. boo. tasted like weird chaulky chocolate. oh well. thanks for the replies. The kind I had was a pure protein chocolate deluxe.

Try ThinkThin bars, the ones with 20g of protein. Pretty good and around 200ish calories.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

Try ThinkThin bars, the ones with 20g of protein. Pretty good and around 200ish calories.

^ This. My favorites are tangerine creamsicle, peanut butter, and brownie crunch.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Edited for double post.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use the Cliff Builder Bars. I eat them as a snack if my protein is low, for breakfast if I don't have time for a real breakfast, and after work outs sometimes instead of a protein shake (I use Vital Whey).