Protein In = Body Weight?

Options
Looking at my diary, I'm taking in about as much as I weigh or a little bit more, but this is way over what MFP recommends.

I'm currently trying to build muscle and get toned, is this the healthy way to go?

Opinions?

Replies

• trevpimp
    trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think it should be good.
    I drink protein shakes and my muscles have improved
    I even drink in excess amounts so it's cool
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    .8-1g protein per pound of body weight is ideal for anyone trying to lose weight or build muscle. Even more would also be healthy.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The more protein the better, so long as you're eating the right amount of calories protein can actually help you lose weight and build more muscle.
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LOL I just ask this as well, if it is good they should change it to green when you go over lol
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    ^^Uh, its lean body mass, not body weight. Can you imagine a 400 lb person scarfing down 400g of protein LOL

1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is enough, although slightly better gains will occur if you consume a bit more. What matters most, though, is your surplus. Most women can realistically gain only 1 lb of actual muscle mass per month. However, there isn't a limit to how much fat you can gain. An acceptable partitioning between muscle gain and fat gain is 1:1. Thus, do not give yourself too large of a surplus if you want to minimize fat gains.

Lastly, you want to end your "bulking" cycle before your body fat percentage gets too high. For women I recommend stopping at 27 to 29%. Thus, it's a good idea to only try to gain if you are reasonably lean to begin with - preferably under 24% so you can gain a modest amount of muscle during the cycle. After that, cut weight and repeat the process.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/protein-weight-loss This article suggests that women have between .5-1 gram of protein per pound of weight. If you're trying to lose weight stay at the lower end of the spectrum and stay at the higher end if you're very active. If you're both then somewhere in the middle.
  • Yosemite4vr
    Yosemite4vr Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great information! Looks like I'm doing the right think, I work out about 6 times a week so I would fall in to that "very active" category.

Thanks!
  • charliemcbride
    charliemcbride Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great answer, Geeky. Do you have those same calculations for a man? Thanks.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've gradually increased my protein over the last couple of months and have definitely noticed a difference in the way my body looks...particularly in terms of visually looking lean, if that makes sense. When carbs were the mainstay of my diet, I looked a little puffy. That being said, I don't overconsume protein as the body will just end up storing the excess as fat. It's about finding the appropriate balance for you. It might take some tweaking - like anything else.