Skinny *****

Options
I've heard a lot of hype about this book. I saw it on my roommate's desk so I picked it up and started reading. I managed to get through 5 chapters tonight. I absolutely love this book. They basically tell you that you should be a vegan. If being vegan was practical and could fit into my college student lifestyle I would definitely try to do it. I have seriously considered going vegetarian though and this book has pushed me even more forward on that decision. I could definitely be vegetarian and I will continue to research before I go through with it. The authors of this book may be a little harsh and just plain *****y (hence the title) to some but to me they're amazing. It's straight up honesty which is exactly what I like. They have a recipe book and my roommate and I are gonna try to make some of the recipes. They also have a book for men, a book for pregnant women and a book that they wrote about life using the same attitude. It's called Skinny *****in.

Thoughts??

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book but what would be your reason for going vegetarian besides that fact that you read a book and it says that you should? It is hard for many vegetarians to eat enough protein so if you do decide to do this make sure you are getting enough protein. Maybe first you should try cutting out red meat, I don't eat red meat, mainly because I don't like it but I eat a lot of turkey and chicken and I think it really helps me with my energy levels cause I feel sluggish when I don't eat enough of it, or just not enough protein in general. You can still lose weight without going vegetarian :smile: Good luck, hope I helped!

~Leash :heart:
  • Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also picked up the book to read over my Christmas break, I made it to the milk chapter and couldn't read any more I was so angry at the book. I know where they are coming from and I respect vegetarians and vegans but I could never become one because I am allergic to soy. I disagree with the book that have to give up so many things to get skinny. I know plenty of skinny people who eat meat and drink milk. Its all about portion control! I want to learn to eat healthy without giving up so much. My sister-in-law made a very good point when I was complaining to her about how bad i thought the book was. She said that "Yeah, once they cut out everything, they are a skinny B*****" This book was not for me but don't let me dissuade you from becoming vegan. Good luck in what you decide.
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love love love this book! I read it and went vegan for about 3 months.... I do not eat a lot of meat anyhow and I dislike eggs... the hardest part for me was the no milk, yogurt, cheese. I did find a soy yogurt that I enjoyed especially with a little granola. I also like their receipe for a smoothie... just one cup of soy milk and one cup of mixed fruit.... delicious and filling! Even if you do not go vegan, I think this book really makes you think about what is in our foods and what we are doing to our bodies. For the three months I was "vegan" I had soooo much more energy, it was amazing! Like the other poster replied, it is very possible to be healthy and lose weight without going vegan. Do what makes you feel good!
  • rori20
    rori20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I was very angry with the book. I read the ENTIRE thing, because I feel that they have valuable points, but it seemed to me that many times they really were taking the stance of moral superiority to those of us who choose a different lifestyle than they do. I agree: There are plenty of people who don't follow that lifestyle and are a very healthy weight.

When I bought the book, I thought the word "*****" was referring to a common saying when referring to a skinny person. I didn't anticipate them being *****'s to me, the person who just bought their book and whom they're trying to persuade to their lifestyle.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I read this book and even though I was vegetarian for nine years before my university's dining hall derailed that, I think it's a load of crap. The authors pretend that if you go veg, the pounds just melt away, and I know better than anyone that fat and vegetarian are not mutually exclusive. That, and the fact that they endorse regular fasting, which is full of the hinkeys - I feel like I wasted my money on this book, and I wish I hadn't.

That said - a smart vegetarian diet IS really good for you. Contrary to popular belief it's not difficult to get adequite nutrition, you just have to be aware, the same way you have to be aware even when you eat meat. If you do decide to go vegan or vegetarian, I reccomend theppk.com for 100% vegan recipes. They're the same people who brought you the Veganomicon. And a great book with a lot of practical nutrition advice and good, staple recipes is the Vegetarian Way. My boyfriend and I are planning on going vegetarian once we graduate and aren't stuck on meal plans any more.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I also picked up the book to read over my Christmas break, I made it to the milk chapter and couldn't read any more I was so angry at the book. I know where they are coming from and I respect vegetarians and vegans but I could never become one because I am allergic to soy. I disagree with the book that have to give up so many things to get skinny. I know plenty of skinny people who eat meat and drink milk. Its all about portion control! I want to learn to eat healthy without giving up so much. My sister-in-law made a very good point when I was complaining to her about how bad i thought the book was. She said that "Yeah, once they cut out everything, they are a skinny B*****" This book was not for me but don't let me dissuade you from becoming vegan. Good luck in what you decide.

I agree. IMO it is all about a healthy balance. I couldn't cut out cheese and milk myself, I love it. Or chicken for that matter. I also have read a lot about studies that have been done on weight benifits to adding dairy to your menu. But my son has celiac-he can't have dairy or glutten, so I do make a lot of dairy free meals. Most things are easy enough to modify.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

Speaking as an overweight vegetarian, it's entirely possible to be both.
    and
    Point 1: Vegetarians aren't necessarily slimmer. Point 2: Vegetarians aren't necessarily healthier Point 3: As pointed out in other vegetarian threads, the amount and type of protein a human being needs to be healthy is misquoted by the same people who created the original food requirement groups .... The agro-lobby. Point 4: The author's of Skinny B**** are vegans and are ardent proponents of veganism. They're getting their message out, but they are no threat to those who eat meat - it may not be for you, as it isn't for me - I eat eggs and dairy, although farm-raised, free range and organic. Point 5: We as a society seem to realizing the need to move away from factory farming - it's not good for the consumer, the people who work there, the source of the food (the animals) the ground water, the air - green house gasses (says the UN, not me)

Michael Pollan (a brilliant, non-partisan, non-vegan writer about food and culture) probably said it best:

Eat real food, mostly plants, not too much.

I think we can all agree with that.:wink:

(That's the first smiley I've ever used!)

PS: My Dad's in his nineties and has fasted every Thursday. Who knows??
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    As a Christian, I believe God made us to be able to eat animals, eggs, milk and things that grow from the Earth, just as the bible says. This book should be called Angry, Hungry *****, because that's all this book will make you if you believe and practice the bull it's teaching you! Stay away from the processed and chemical pumped stuff and you'll be healthy.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I bought the book also because I wanted to see what the hype was about and I took it right back when I saw that all they were promoting was being a vegetarian. BLAH!:mad: I like my meat and I've lost weight eating it so I see no reason as to why I should become a vegetarian because some skinny bi*ches say so. :yawn: :huh:

Now a good book if you are interested is called "How the Rich Get Thin." I found it to be a pretty good read.:bigsmile:
  • stella_star
    Options
    This book also made me angry! I read a few chapters as I did like a lot of what they were saying but it annoyed me that it was just a go vegan book dressed up as something else and the reasearch really wound me up - they'd quite clearly just picked bits and pieces to suit what they were saying and were totally unable to give a balanced opinion on anything.

Saying that I do frequesntly consider the idea of going vegan, but don't want to restrict my diet so much
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It was more an entertaining read than anything. There were some valid points, and a few things that are just common sense, but really, they aren't medical professionals.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    A friend got this book for me a couple years ago for Christmas. She read it, she's a vegetarian, and although she doesn't follow the book's instruction, she thought it was good and that I would appreciate it.

I read it quickly and took everything with a grain of salt. I know what's working for me and I know I could never let go of the turkey (or chicken ... or fish ... or yogurt ... or the occasional steak ...), so I absolutely don't buy into their "skinny plan." I did, however, enjoy the read! Hilarious and intuitive in some parts. Satire. Love it! If you read it as an opinionated (extremely) piece of literature and not the Bible, you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    I thought it was sort of hilarious...but not in a good way in what they were advocating. They make some good points, but so much of the book is psycho-PETA-induced babble that's not backed up with enough research or supporting evidence.

Trying to form a purely emotional response as to why meat is "bad" to eat is not scientific and is an unfortunate reason people may pursue a vegetarian or vegan existence (i.e. they're not really doing it with sound reasoning). I do fully agree with their stance that we should limit (or eliminate) the consumption of factory-farmed meat, though.

And the recommendations to eat vegan junk food in excess...I think that's the hilarious part. "yeah, we eat vegan cookies and Boca burgers and we're skinny cuz they're like healthy plant protein and stuff"

ORLY? I doubt it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    As a Christian, I believe God made us to be able to eat animals, eggs, milk and things that grow from the Earth, just as the bible says. This book should be called Angry, Hungry *****, because that's all this book will make you if you believe and practice the bull it's teaching you! Stay away from the processed and chemical pumped stuff and you'll be healthy.

Yes, but He also gave us free will. I've been a vegetarian my entire life and that has nothing to do with God.
    FYI: go back and re-read Genesis...Adam, Eve, and the animals lived in harmony...no one ate meat including the other animals. It was mans downfall that caused the 'dietary' laws to change.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    If you want to go Veg or even Vegan do your research. It's not as involved as everyone makes it out to be. Just plan your meals ahead to account for your protein and B vitamins.

Oh...and I personally loved the book...they do use a little too much faux meat for me...I prefer my soy in it's most natural forms- tofu, edamame, soy milk, miso, tempah, and, soy nuts.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I have not read the book but what would be your reason for going vegetarian besides that fact that you read a book and it says that you should? It is hard for many vegetarians to eat enough protein so if you do decide to do this make sure you are getting enough protein. Maybe first you should try cutting out red meat, I don't eat red meat, mainly because I don't like it but I eat a lot of turkey and chicken and I think it really helps me with my energy levels cause I feel sluggish when I don't eat enough of it, or just not enough protein in general. You can still lose weight without going vegetarian :smile: Good luck, hope I helped!

~Leash :heart:

It's not difficult to obtain protein. There are beans, nuts, legumes, soy products (not faux meats)...ect. I easily meet my daily requirements with no problem. It takes a little bit of planning but not much.
  • mdale2
    Options
    Warning! Agnostic scientific opinion!

Bible aside, studies of human remains and tools from early hunter / gatherer societies indeed support we knawed down some meat, fat and animal by-product with a gusto. And when that wasn't readily available, we relied on plant matter. Unfortunately, plant matter can't keep you alive as long as freshly killed wild game...and it depends highly on geographical region. H/G societies in cold regions were forced to rely namely on game and fish as their climates supported very little life outside of that. Other warmer climates relied less on big game and more on plant life, nuts, seeds. Grains began to enter the picture as agriculture developed. The ancient Egyptians being a prime example of developing agriculture...

Bible opinion...yep, past Genesis we all went to you know where in a you know what and killed the fatted calf.

Edit: Sorry kids, just lightening the tone. I don't mean offense here. I think people can eat whatever they please - I'm sure there's a society (ancient or modern) out there that eats similar.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

Bible aside, studies of human remains and tools from early hunter / gatherer societies indeed support we knawed down some meat, fat and animal by-product with a gusto. And when that wasn't readily available, we relied on plant matter. Unfortunately, plant matter can't keep you alive as long as freshly killed wild game...and it depends highly on geographical region. H/G societies in cold regions were forced to rely namely on game and fish as their climates supported very little life outside of that. Other warmer climates relied less on big game and more on plant life, nuts, seeds. Grains began to enter the picture as agriculture developed. The ancient Egyptians being a prime example of developing agriculture...

Bible opinion...yep, past Genesis we all went to you know where in a you know what and killed the fatted calf.

True.
    But in todays society...theres a thing called choice. We no longer have to hunt and gather.
    In fact, I dare not voice what I was going to type...because you apparently have all the answers.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Also, Healthykt78...please feel free to friend me or message me.
    There are dozens of veggies on this site...most of them are on my friend list.
  • mdale2
    Options

True.
    But in todays society...theres a thing called choice. We no longer have to hunt and gather.
    In fact, I dare not voice what I was going to type...because you apparently have all the answers.

Whoa, sorry I meant that post in a sarcastic tone. Sometimes I am a true @$$ and for that I apologize. But seriously, from a historical perspective there are so many means of eating from purely carnivorous to purely herbivorous that there's no definitive answer on EXACTLY what is right or wrong. The authors of Skinny *****, however, really don't seem to back up their own rationale very well, hence the reason for me posting.

Humans are probably the one mammal that scientifically, has no cohesive idea about EXACTLY what we are meant to eat in a natural state. We only have the histories of societies that ate a broad range of things. Even at the time of the bible it can be debated all day that we were not solely herbivorous - the skull size, hunting ranges, and relative evolution of modern man would show another story. The societies of the Bible, at least at the time of Christ were fairly omnivorous and I would suppose, comparable to the modern day societies of the Mediterranean and Arab world.

But like I said, I'm just another agnostic who has a problem with my tone and skepticism on a regular basis. Someone could eat a purely vegetarian diet and hey, if they have good reason to, good for them.