This has to work this time...

Options
I've done it all--Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Phen/Fen, SlimFast, Atkins, Carbaholics, South Beach...all with varying degrees of success. Yet now, I'm 44 years old and I've never weighed so much in my life. When I think of what I considered "fat" 5 years ago? I would kill to weigh that now. What motivated me this time around was seeing my older sister who had lost 30 lbs. She had been to the doctor and diagnosed as pre-diabetic and it scared her. I asked her what she did and she simply said, "I ate what I wanted, but alot less of it." Could it be so simple?

I'm a high school teacher, have 2 kids, 4 cats and 3 dogs, including a Great Dane puppy. You would think I'd be too busy to eat, right? It's more like too busy to eat right.

So far, I love the app and am thrilled to see so many recipes from skinnytaste.com already in the database. I'd love to have an online support system. Add me or let me know if you are willing to be added. Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• sessygail
    sessygail Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Funny thing. I was just doing a quick check before closing out for the night and I saw your post. I am in the Richmond area too and would be happy to be added as a friend! It will work this time! :)
  • miznilknarf
    Options
    I am in the newly named "North Chesterfield"... Great to see someone with similar goals to mine! Thanks!
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It *will* work this time...if you put *yourself first.*

Easier said than done, especially with your busy life and others who need to be taken care of first. However, if that means getting up a bit earlier to do some stretches and exercises, you *can* do it.

I, too, need to work on portion-control. My mom reminded me last night, of how I self-sabotage each time I go through the "I MUST lose weight!" issue. She told me that I say "I can't have 'X' at all" which is *not* the problem. My problem is rather than saying "I *can* have *one* doughnut," I eat four. I have been an "all or nothing" for...hm...for the last 22 years (dang, hard to believe I'm at my half-life LOL!) I actually looked-up on the nutritional tracker, what the numbers are for the kind of doughnuts I like and I *can* have one!!

I just choose not to...unless it's fresh...and then I shall only purchase (and then savor) the one =)

Please add me if you need an 'odd, but funny' supporter/pal :)
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    add me ! i post constantly and love motivating people through comments :) good luck on the weight loss journey, never give up!
  • GabsMommy28
    GabsMommy28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can do this! All it takes is hard work and putting your needs closer to the front of the line, I know it's hard when you have kids. But remember it's for them too! So you'll be around.
  • dewetoys
    Options
    YOu sound so much like me. OH yah it has to work this time. I will loose this weight if not only for the upcoming wedding of my sister-in-law. I will do it this time. If I don't die of all my joint pain or my legs hurting. If I can get through the pain then I can make it. I have never been small or "perfect " but I am trying. You can do it too. I will be here to try and cheer you on too. GO girl Go. Just think if we can only take every pound we loose and put it on that high school cheerleader. HUH. go go go from Nebraska.
  • jbloomfj
    jbloomfj Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You can add me if you wish. I am on every day
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    It will work if you find what is your right calorie goal for yourself.
    That is not always the easiest to find though.

And Good day fellow Virginians. :smile:
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We must be twins - 44, 2 kids, animals, teacher...and I too have tried it all. Oh, also hypothyroid due to Hashimoto's Here I am trying again. I will succeed this time and it will be because of MFP and my determination and perseverance. Good luck to you.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You've picked a great place to start! I've had so much success here. I'm down 105 pounds as of this morning. This place is supportive, challenging, and truly inspirational.

Feel free to add me...I love friends!:flowerforyou:
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it will work this time. Kinda sounds like an AA meeting, but it's true. It works if you work it. Add me too if you'd like. I'm on everyday.
  • SpeakingOfAutumn
    Options
    Hey! I'm new here and I think it would be really helpful to have people keeping an eye on me with helpful advice. Please add me!
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in Richmond too. Feel free to add me.
  • Roydan
    Roydan Posts: 2
    Options
    I am pretty much at the same point.. I weighed about 290 before i decided it was time for a change. My work offered a program called "Naturally Slim". I dropped from 290 to 240 using weight watchers, but as soon as I stopped tracking points(i hate tracking points..) I jumped back up to 255 quickly.. Since starting Naturally slim, I have lost 12 lbs, eating the same stuff I used to(minus sugar), just alot less of it. Eat only when you are truly hungry. It will work!
  • bethin26440
    bethin26440 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    More than welcome to add me.
  • rb0155
    rb0155 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've started dieting almost three months ago and have lost 12 pounds so far. Best advice I can give is if you fall off the wagon don't beat yourself up, just get back on as soon as possible.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You can do it this time and this site will really help you. Everyone on here is so supportive and encouraging. Feel free to add me. My name is Kimberlee,48.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've done it all--Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Phen/Fen, SlimFast, Atkins, Carbaholics, South Beach...all with varying degrees of success. Yet now, I'm 44 years old and I've never weighed so much in my life. When I think of what I considered "fat" 5 years ago? I would kill to weigh that now. What motivated me this time around was seeing my older sister who had lost 30 lbs. She had been to the doctor and diagnosed as pre-diabetic and it scared her. I asked her what she did and she simply said, "I ate what I wanted, but alot less of it." Could it be so simple?

In the beginning, I too wondered if this approach would work for me, and continue to work for me... I'm thrilled to say that I have completed 8 weeks, regularly lost weight, and am now down a total of 21 pounds. Yes, apparently it is that simple!!! I've been on Weight Watchers before, but this is the first time I've had a calorie allotment, and counted calories... and I can see myself doing this long term... for the rest of my life really. I love getting in some exercise each and every day, and increasing my calorie allotment accordingly! So be assured this program should work for you as well!!! Add me as a friend if you like!
  • sessygail
    sessygail Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am in the newly named "North Chesterfield"... Great to see someone with similar goals to mine! Thanks!

I used to be in the newly named North Chesterfield too but now I am out near Woodlake! Looking forward to the give and take of support with you here!