Zumba?

Options
I am at a loss as to how to enter Zumba in the exercise--is it aerobics? According to the Zumba calorie burner I found on another website, I burn way more than what it says I am burning. And how to I count the days I do the interval training versus with the weigh sticks versus the days I do straight Zumba?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I put in aerobics-low impact as MFP overestimates anyway.
  • Ambie213
    Ambie213 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    As far as Zumba goes, I would enter it as a "new exercise" and calculate how many calories you burn per hour w/ a HRM or via another website and enter that info on MFP. Good luck!
  • lisaloses40
    Options
    I was just wondering this very thing. I don't have a hrm so I guess I'll enter it as aerobics-low impact.

Such a fun class! I was really sweating hard by the end yet didn't even feel like I was working that hard. :)
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Zumba is "low impact"? When I spoke with a Zumba instructor, she said it's anything but "low impact." Oh, but is there a "low impact" form of Zumba? Maybe the instructor wasn't aware of such a thing. Guidance would be appreciated! :)
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I use wii zumba game and it gives you a readout of the calories burned as you do your workout. It is always right in line with the numbers I get when I use my Nike HRM. So I feel pretty accurate using those numbers, but I always log it about 20% less just because I don't cut myself any slack!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I participated in a couple of Zumba classes and they are low impact. Nothing wrong with "low impact." Weight training and yoga are low impact but I sweat like he!!. Running and plyometrics are high impact- lots of hard work for the ol' joints.
  • doodledaze
    doodledaze Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist

I try to be conservative when I enter my exercise so I don't overestimate the calories I burned
  • mindy_moorehead
    Options
    I just started doing the Zumba on the Wii at home and by the time I'm done I'm always dripping sweat so I wouldn't think it would be considered low impact....I added it as a new exercise and just put in what it said I burned by my weight......IDK?????
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I created my own exercise and entered the info from my HRM and another site.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I created a exercise they let you do that on here, I do Zumba 2 on my Wii and in 45mins i burn 911 calories and over 1000 when i do 60mins but that is beacause i weigh more
  • connette51
    connette51 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been attending Zumba classes for about one year. Zumba Gold is low impact. Zumba is NOT. I burn for my weight 625-750 calories per hour doing Zumba. If you do a google search for Zumba calories burned you will see a site where you can put in your weight and it will tell you how many calories you burn an hour for your weight. Hope this helps.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options

Zumba is "low impact"? When I spoke with a Zumba instructor, she said it's anything but "low impact." Oh, but is there a "low impact" form of Zumba? Maybe the instructor wasn't aware of such a thing. Guidance would be appreciated! :)

No but MFP grossly overestimates calorie burn is why I did that. I wore a HRM today to kickboxing which got my heart rate higher than Zumba and my HRM told me I burned 415 calories but if I put aerobics, MFP would estimate 800 calories.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    I have been attending Zumba classes for about one year. Zumba Gold is low impact. Zumba is NOT. I burn for my weight 625-750 calories per hour doing Zumba. If you do a google search for Zumba calories burned you will see a site where you can put in your weight and it will tell you how many calories you burn an hour for your weight. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't trust that number unless you are using a HRM to verify. I am going tomorrow morning so I'll get a better count but I'm guessing it will be just under 400 calories for an hour for me.
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    I definitely don't think that Zumba is low impact unless you arent putting in all the hops and jumps. I use a fitbit and I weigh 132lbs. For an hr class I burn between 400-460 depending on the instructor, etc. When I was heavier I was burning between 700 and 800 calories an hr.
  • Tesh25
    Tesh25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I put it as aerobics low impact because I have a hard time still jumping around and being "high energy" like they are on the DVD. I don't think I am burning as much as the zumba site says I do plus I don't have an HRM so, I would rather put a lower cal burn that what the zumba site is stating I burn. I didn't know how to input the toning sticks workout either, so I put that as aerobics low impact as well. Just do what is best for you thought. I found that when I was entering in the information the zumba site said I was burning I didn't lose any weight at all (I think I was putting in a higher cal burn that what I was burning in my opinion), so that is why I put aerobics low impact.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    I just thought it was a lazy way to get a more accurate calorie count, I wasn't say it is low impact.
  • bootcampabs
    Options
    Dancing or aerobics. or buy a good heart rate monitor. :)
  • toriann143
    Options
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    FYI, I thought I'd report back.

Went to my 60 minutes Zumba class and there are quite a few high impact moves and she starts a lot of movement from the first song to the last. Heart Rate Monitor reported Max HR of 170, Average 144 and 391 calories (My max HR is 180 or so). I trust that more than MFP which would put me at somewhere around 800-900 calories.
  • mfpmag
    mfpmag Posts: 10
    Options
    FYI, low-impact doesn't mean it's not a tough workout. It means it's low-stress to your joints. It's got nothing to do with heart rate or if you're sweating a lot or burned a lot of cals.