Elliptical suggestions?

Options
My husband and I are going to invest in an elliptical. Any suggestions? What should I be look for? I've seen some for like $299 at ****s, but I'm sure they're not that sturdy? I'm sure that you get what you pay for, but I can't afford the kind they have at the gyms.

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I just recently (1.5 weeks ago) bought a very cheap Weslo elliptical trainer. It's squeaky! But, it's pretty stable, even on carpet, which is where mine currently is. I looked up reviews for the item, mostly they were all ok to bad lol. However, there is a warranty for it and the way I figured was it was $180 on sale. Even if it lasted me just 6 months, it was way cheaper than a gym membership for 6 months time and all I used there was the elliptical. In addition, I am more likely to use it, I have nearly everyday since I bought it, so to me, buying a cheap one if that's all you can afford is worth it. JMHO though :)
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Check out this website: http://www.allellipticals.com/, it compares several different types of ellipticals at several different price ranges. I got the Schwinn 430 for about $600 on amazon and it is amazing. Comfortable to use, very quite, and super easy to put together.
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Options
    I bought one 3-4 years ago and still using it. I bought a good quality one but not the more expansive (about 600$). No gadgets but verry good mechanic. And I didn't regret it. No squicks and verry stable. And think you have to try it in store, first to see if it feels good (they don't have all the same movement) and, for me, it was important that it was a fluid and quiet machine so I can watch t.v. while I'm using it. Good investisment, good idea to buy one!!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I have a reebok. I really like it. got it from costco for around $800. I had a cheapo one that I got for $199 but I ended up not using it after awhile because the motion wasn't smooth enough - it was HORRIBLY squeeky after a few weeks and no matter where I put the wd40 it never stopped sqeeking. That said I have a cheap treadmill and a relatively cheap stationary bike and they're both great so I think the key is to try it out first and really pay attention to the motion and how it fits your stride.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Also look at Craig's list. Sometimes people are getting rid of equipment they bought and barely used and you can get them cheap.
  • lcmartin
    lcmartin Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and link! Sounds like I need to start hitting some stores and doing some sampleing. I have been on an elliptical at a hotel that had a small stride and I felt stumbly the whole time. Drove me crazy!

:flowerforyou:
  • miss_dobie
    Options
    I have been thinking about the same thing for about 3 years now and keep coming back to the same conclusion - for the amount I would invest in a really good eliptical, I can get, instead, a membership in a gym for at least 3 years and have access to all of their other equipment, too. There's no maintenance costs, there's no increase in my electrical bill, there won't be less floor space available in my house once it's installed, and being around like-minded people is a positive push for me to work a little bit harder.

I realize this is a different type of answer, but I had a stationary bike six years ago and it turned into a clothes hanger. For the past 3 years, I have had a gym membership and I go at least 5 days a week and have access to everything. Having that access to everything is one point that keeps me going all the time. If I don't feel like doing eliptical, I do bike, or treadmill or maybe strength training.

With one machine at home you are limited. What will you do when you don't feel like using the eliptical?

Hope this other side of the coin helps you.
  • lcmartin
    Options
    Oh I would definitely join a gym, but I live in the middle of nowhere and the local "gym" has 2 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, some weights, a lap pool and an empty room full of exercise balls and this gym actually charges $79/month! The gym that I use to belong to is 25 miles away, but I worked right down the road. They still charged $50/month....I LOVED it, but with it being so far away I know that I won't jump in my car everyday and drive that far.

Maybe what I really need to do is move! Seriously. My previous job had me working in Jacksonville, FL for 2 weeks a month over the summer and I went to this YMCA that was bigger than anything I've ever seen! It was love at first site. I miss it! :cry:
  • ADIVA2NV1
    ADIVA2NV1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check in the goodwill or salvation army.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your budget is... I just bought an Octane and I LOVE IT!! It was pricey (1800 CAD$) but I spent the same on my TM about 7 years ago and it's never needed servicing and I use it almost everyday. I'm a firm believer that "the poor can't afford to buy twice", so I buy quality the first time, even if it's a little pricey. Many places do offer financing...
    That said - there are some great deals to be had on Craigslist! I like looking for items posted in the more affluent neighborhoods!

Here is a picture of my beast - this thing rocks.
    DSC00438.jpg
  • lcmartin
    Options
    She's beautiful! Yeah, I have a feeling I'm really going to have to fork out the money to get something that doesn't drive me crazy!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I spent just under $2000.00 for mine! I bought it off ebay and it is a commercial grade Precor EFX 556! It NOT run off of electricity, it powers up by your motion. Most of the clubs are that way and my elliptical is like the ones you may use in the clubs! I absolutely love it and it gets used mainly in our winter when I can not get outside or on rainy days! This price was with shipping too! My son has one on the way and he said he paid $1800.00 and that was with shipping too! I workout alot, did 305 days last year and my goal is to beat it this year, and an elliptical is awesome, you can go anywhere up to an hour and have not lifted your foot once!! I wish you success at finding a really nice one!
  • miss_dobie
    Options
    Here's an update for you, if you are still interested in a great eliptical. I did some poking around the last week at a couple of stores and found (in my opinion) that a machine called the Vision Fitness Eliptical Trainer Model X6200 is the machine I would purchase if I were going to purchase one for my home. I checked several stores and found their machines to be toys. When I checked the Vision Fitness store, I knew I had to look no further. The base cost is around $1300.00; then add shipping and setup and tax and about $200 more for the Premier console.

I tested the machine at the store at length and it is amazing. It was so quiet all you could hear was my breathing. I prefer this model over all the others they offered for sale because it is portable. The X6200 can be folded up to conserve your floor space. It is absolutely amazingly quiet. The ride is soooooo smooth. And, of course, the warranties offered on this model were so comprehensive that I felt totally comfortable about choosing this machine from this company.

There are also deals to be had by the company right now (especially if there is a Vision Fitness store near you) but check out VisionFitness.com to see all that they have.

As I wrote previously, I do not plan on purchasing any machines for my home because I prefer going to the gym. But if I were going to invest in a machine for my home, it would be an eliptical and it would be the Vision Fitness X6200. Additionally, I would go directly to the company to purchase this machine because the coverage they offer with the machine at no additional charge is truly impressive.

Again, good luck with your choice.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just bought one at Sears from Nordic Track that is getting assembled tomorrow. I can't wait. They had all their ellipticals for $300 off or more. And if you get a Sears card, they ran a promo with exercise equipment for a Sears Card with interest free financing for a year. I am paying mine off over 10 months to avoid any interest fees.
  • 2peas2pods
    Options
    I just bought the Schwinn 420 at Sports Authority for $599 and I love it! Super stable (up to 300lbs.) and easy to put together. I am absolutely loving it!