Doubts?

Options
For the past 14 years I have struggled with my weight. After having my daughter I found it very difficult to get into a state of mind where I would want to lose weight. After several attempts of pretty much everything, I have come to the conclusion that there is NO MAGIC PILL. For the past two weeks I have done nothing but watch what I eat (count calories) and exercise for 1-2 hours. As of today I have lost 14 pounds. Although, I am happy and proud of myself, I wonder will I finish this? will this be just another attempt? For those who have lost weight, did you ever feel this way??? I am more determined and focus on losing this weight than I've ever been but the fear of failing, lingers over me...

Replies

• sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Especially (if you are like me) the self sabotage starts to kick in... Just try and think as positively as you can. Stay in the moment. Do what you can NOW and if it starts lurking..then kick its *kitten* :-)

Its a hard road! All you can do is your best. Also to remind yourself when you start to get the urges of how it felt being heavier..how hard it really is. It's alot harder to get around heavy, then to remind yourself of eating well (if that makes sense)?

Good luck!!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    We have all gotten discourage at times, especially when we plateau for a while. But we have to keep doing the right things like watching what we eat and excersing everyday. You can do this and this site can be very helpful Everyone on here is supportive and encouraging. Logging your food and exercise helps show you where you need work. Please feel free to add me. My name is Kimberlee, 48.
  • boboette1
    Options
    I just joined, but I found that if I tell myself, I can do this for 1 day, I may not do it perfectly, but that's ok. I try to stay at my 1200 calorie per day limit. I keep telling myself, this is not my last supper so I don't need to eat like it is. If it something I really like, I tell myself, I don't need to gorge on it, because tomorrow is a new day, and if I want some more I will include it in my calories for tomorrow. Sweets are my downfall, so I try to eat fruit, drink something like tea and put enough stevia in it to help my sugar cravings, it seems to help. Don't know if I helped or not, but that is what I do. I also find on days when I am really hungry and I don't give in to it, I loose weight the next day. Don;t give up we are all doing this together.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm right there with you. Yo Yo dieter most of my life, doing ok right now, but it's only been like 70 odd days here and still have so much to go....have a great bunch of friends helping keep me on track though and I didn't have that with WW. Just take it one day at a time, one pound at a time.
  • dmonge7
    dmonge7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think I should join this thread...I have been trying to loose weight for - i'm going on 10yrs - geeez! I can't believe how time flies. I managed to loose about 25lbs before I had my daughter and right after she was born I managed to get rid of all the baby weight. Somehow it wasn't until she turned a year old that the weight started coming back and it started piling up on me, to the point of where I am now - which is at my biggest.

I joined my fitness pal at the beginning of this year and I want to stick with it, I really do and to date I keep on falling off the wagon. I don't want to fall off anymore. I want to do this, I'm so big right now that my knees are starting to hurt, the thought of bending down or getting back up from a bent position is just painful. I have a ton of doubts I want them to go away. I'm really glad I found this thread. I don't want to fall off the wagon again, I want to stay on it. Hearing what some of you have to say is really helpful and aspiring, seeing I can relate to others is even better. If anybody has any other advice I am all ears (well in this case eyes).
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I can relate to not being motivated to lose the baby weight. My oldest is turning 14 on Oct 1 and I am just now in the last 3 months actually put some real effort into it and am within striking distance (12.3 lbs) of my original pre-baby weight...not my final goal but a major milestone nonetheless. My goal is to make it by his birthday. As regards to your fear of failing, my thought is, 14 lbs. in two weeks is ALOT!! Are you sure you have set yourself a pace and a diet that you can sustain and stick to over the long term? Cause Truth -- if it isn't, it will only end up fueling the cycle of failure as you fear. It took the catalyst of other medical issues and an impasse in the doctor's willingness to think of anything but my weight as the problem (I'm convinced there's more to it but that's another story) to get me riled up enough to kick in my determination and really get going on this, if only to prove him wrong and get back to solving the rest of the problem! I don't know how much you have to lose --from my highest point, I ended up with about 114 pounds to come off to get back to my normal size. I'm almost halfway there and over half of that has been just since May because I got serious about it, paced myself and set reasonable expectations and on-the-way milestone goals. It's like in a long distance race--if you put all your energy into charging out of the gate as fast as you possibly can, you will run out of steam and not be able to finish. I do not LIKE exercise and sweat. Never have, never will no matter who claims I'll learn to like it. So I know my limits as to what I will tolerate for my higher goal this time around and I push myself just hard enough that I will come back and do it again the next day. Same with diet....I do what is reasonable to me and sustainable over the long-term and works for my body. I've never done anything like this for this long ever in my life and I have no intention of stopping short of my goal. I just don't give myself the option to think about it too much or consider quitting. It is just not a choice -- this is something I have to do and I want to get through it ASAP so the fastest way through is to keep going now at a slow, but steady rate. So I would suggest that you take a long hard look at your diet and exercise plan, find those midway goals and put yourself in the mindset of this being a long term project not a quick fix that is going to be over with tomorrow if only you work hard enough. If you think you are going to quit, find a close friend who will do it with you and keep you accountable. That helps me alot -- several of my lady friends at church are involved in similar efforts and we all encourage and support one another. Just make sure that you don't deprive yourself and work yourself so hard that you end up sacrificing your health for your weight loss. But yes, you CAN stick to it and complete it this time -- just make sure your self expectations are reasonable and then make it a non-negotiable with yourself that this is your new normal, no matter whether you feel like it on any given day or not. This is what you do because your goal is more important than your temporal convenience and comfort of the moment. It sounds kind of harsh but when I started talking to myself that way, my progress spiked dramatically in a fraction of the time but at a healthy rate of loss that doesn't endanger my well-being. My prayers are with you to find victory in this area of struggle and overcome the nagging self-doubt to see it through to the end this time! :o)
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has that fear hidden away inside of them. Failure can be very traumatic and paralyzing. I know people say this a lot (I do as well), but take it one day at a time. Don't worry about tomorrow and just focus on the moment you are in. If you do fall once in awhile don't beat yourself up about it. We aren't perfect and who the hell wants to be anyway? You are doing good.
  • jazcndoit
    jazcndoit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for ur words!!! I've always had an issue with thinking of what I am going to do tomorrow n neglecting my right now! So I sincerely appreciate the "take it one day at a time"! I have been pushing myself harder than I ever have and cutting so many unhealthy foods, that I think when I analyze it is when I start doubting myself. Once again I appreciate your time and words...