Intermittent fasting (IF) HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
has anyone ever tried Intermittent fasting (IF) I heard that it works well because it gives you body more time to burn calories. for those who don't know it is basically where you fast for part of the day and the you leave a small window of time to consume calories. I have heard that it is best to exercise on a empty stomach because you will be able to burn more calories and lose weight easier. for example I could fast from 10 pm until 3pm that basically means that I will between 3 and nine and nothing after 10 pm. I have decided if this is right I just want know some of your opinions or if you have tried it what are the results. I havent look much into this but alot of people have said that they have gotten great results from this process and you can apply it to any diet.

Replies

• jwc101
    jwc101 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started IF a few days ago. I aim for a 16 to 18hour fast window. The link below may have the information to get you started.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting/chapter-6
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    There is no benefit to fasting over eating multiple meals per day. In order to drop bodyfat, you have to be in a caloric deficit. I fast because I hate eating at work. Do it because it benefits your lifestyle, don't do it because you think it will provide some magical weightloss solution.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, You haven't filled out your profile so we don't know how much weight you are trying to lose. At 20 yrs old I would say, forget the fries, if you eat them. Fast foods are bad. Sweets are bad. Start counting your calories and get physically active. Fasting does NOT work!! your body adjust to it. If you were 70 insteadof 20 it might be ok.

You can do it just keep accurate count of your calories. Write down in a notebook everything you eat everyday. There are websites that will give you calorie info.

Best of luck!!

Basil
  • Well... Eating small meals several times a day does boost your metabolism, which makes you burn calories quicklier.. So I don't know what to think of this..
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well... Eating small meals several times a day does boost your metabolism, which makes you burn calories quicklier.. So I don't know what to think of this..
    This is false.
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I tried it and i dropped about five pounds but it made my period MIA.I didn't know what to do.So to me if that going to mess with the natural rhythm of my body i dont like it.Just eat small meals over the course of the day.
  • JamieAshman91
    JamieAshman91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started it last week and it really is great! It's something I can do long term too.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Well... Eating small meals several times a day does boost your metabolism, which makes you burn calories quicklier.. So I don't know what to think of this..
    This is false.

Yeah, this is completely false. IF isn't for everyone but it's definitely working for me. I've posted this link before but I'll post it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-n8xJXYHIg

But as others have said, do it because it works for you not becuase you think you're going to get a miracle cure. Try it out and see what happens. For me, I find it really does help me to figure out when I'm actually hungry over when my brain thinks I'm hungry and therefore I eat less. But everyone is different. Hope this helps.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options

You can do it just keep accurate count of your calories. Write down in a notebook everything you eat everyday. There are websites that will give you calorie info.

Best of luck!!

Basil

THIS! And the best website for giving you calorie info is right here on MFP! : )
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I've just started this today, i read up on it and it really appeals to me. I've never been a breakfast lover and hate the thought of forcing it down just because some diet tells me i have to. I've actually started 16/8 as this suits me better and although i was a little apprehensive about training in fast mode i was amazed how much energy i had. I'd thought i would struggle having not eaten but i really didnt and i felt great afterwards. I'm still learning on this one so would appreciate some friends who are doing this :)
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi, You haven't filled out your profile so we don't know how much weight you are trying to lose. At 20 yrs old I would say, forget the fries, if you eat them. Fast foods are bad. Sweets are bad. Start counting your calories and get physically active. Fasting does NOT work!! your body adjust to it. If you were 70 insteadof 20 it might be ok.

Best of luck!!

Basil

Write down in a notebook? There are websites that will give you calorie info?
    Why do you think we are all on this site? This site will give you all this information!!!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Wow, it seems from reading this that i've been doing Intermittent Fasting without even realising it!!!! I don't eat much (if at all) for the majority of the day, i exercise every morning (usually on an empty stomach) and i don't eat after 8pm.

None of this i have done on purpose to lose weight. I exercise on an empty stomach because i exercise first thing and i don't like eating breakfast because i'm not hungry early in the morning. I don't eat during the day usually because i am doing other things and to be honest eating just never occurs to me. I don't eat after 8pm because i find i sleep better this way. I just listen to my body- when i'm hungry, i eat and when i'm not hungry, i don't.

I've recently read- and seen on TV from a QUALIFIED NUTRITIONIST (i forget her name) that what i've been doing is wrong and that i should be eating little and often...

Confused!!!!! lol
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Fast-5 (19/5) and it is Fantastic for me! Better than I could have hoped for.

36 lbs in 70 days. Shooting for 57 lbs, 21 more to go.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    16/8 since Feb. 29th. 39lbs down. It's not magic, but it makes meal planning and calorie counting much easier. The lightheadedness and hunger pangs lasted 2-3 days, and then you don't even think about food until it's time to eat. That freedom really takes a load off. I'll probably do this the rest of my life.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Today is my first day (or technically, I started fasting last night). I'm doing 16/8 and am really excited. I have a few questions though:

For those of you who claim to have a surprising amount of energy during fasted workouts, when do you work out? I've read that workingout towards the end of a fasting period increases your body's production of growth hormone -- so I was planning on doing this. Just wondering if you can tell a difference, in terms of energy, when you workout. Also, do these workouts include HIIT or heavy lifting?

Additionally, do you eat even when you're not hungry during the eight hour window?

Do you take any non-caloric supplements during your fasted states? I've read that BCAA's can help curb appetite during this time.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • jasminemonique1
    Options
    Thanks Everyoen :) !!!!!!!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The reason everyone claims to have a lot of energy to exericise while fasting is because they truely do have a lot of energy to use. See what happens is when you fast, your body is not spending 60% of it's energy digesting food like it does when you eat every few hours. Believe it or not, when you are in your "wine and dine" parasympathetic mode your body is slow and sluggish from using a ton of energy digesting food. When you are in your "fight or flight" sympathetic mode you are utilizing stored energy (the glycogen) from your body to fuel energy. So exercising is somewhat like "fight or flight" and since your aren't wasting tons of energy digesting you can use your stored energy and burn properly.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    16/8 since Feb. 29th. 39lbs down. It's not magic, but it makes meal planning and calorie counting much easier. The lightheadedness and hunger pangs lasted 2-3 days, and then you don't even think about food until it's time to eat. That freedom really takes a load off. I'll probably do this the rest of my life.

I'm not convinced that IF helps me burn fat any faster than frequent small meals at the same calorie counts. I just know its WAY easier for me. I maintained 16/8 IF for 7 months last year and really wish I hadn't gotten out of the habit over Christmas. Started again a couple weeks ago and I missed how simplifying it is.