iPod vs HRM

Options
The short of it is this: Which of the two choices below are more important to get first?

iPod Touch (Thinking 32 GB, but maybe 8 GB will work. In response, post suggested size please and reason for it)
Heart Rate Monitor (doesn't matter brand, but please list suggestions for this one as well)

Now, before responding, please read this.

I currently have a job making close to state minimum wage (I make $9.31 before taxes). I usually average between 25 and 30 hours a week, getting paid bi-weekly. My average paychecks are between $500 and $575. My monthly bills add up to $704. I try to set aside 10% for emergency spending, and 10% for giving. Which means between $100 and $116 is set aside every month. That leaves $804 to $820 out of $1000 to $1150 taken. In other words, I have $196 to $180 a month to spend on everything from car maintenance to food to entertainment and clothes. In short, not a lot of wiggle room. Now, I am trying to save up for both of those items, but it takes a while to do. Several months in fact.

Working where I work, the 32 GB iPod will cost about $250 after tax, the 8 GB would cost me about $166. From what I have seen, an HRM will cost me $120+. I have an mp3 player, but I need to find a way to transfer my music to it. If I can do that, I won't need the iPod. But I haven't been able to figure it out in 2 months, so I don't think I will. I need it to help keep me from being bored while working on the treadmill and elliptical or other machines where I am not moving around, and to stay motivated and pumped while walking or jogging. The HRM is important so I can get an accurate reading of calories burned during my workouts.

Now, knowing this information, which would you choose first and why?

Replies

• joshuamhort
    Options
    Really? Nobody?
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well...if it were me, I'd try to do something like youtube or google my particular mp3 player and see if there's anything to be done about transfering my music to what I already had. After that, if you still couldn't figure it out, I would look at maybe an ipod nano? If you just want the music capabilities it might make more sense to buy an 8 gb nano which saves you about 100 bucks (mine was 130 I think). I would get the ipod if that was my main motivator during my workout. The hrm is nice but if you give yourself a cushion (overestimate your calories and underestimate your burn) it's not totally necessary yet. And maybe for gifts (bday, etc) you could ask for gift cards to amazon or apple either way so the cost isn't totally up to you. So loooong story short :laugh: I would get the ipod first since it sounds like it would be more motivating to you.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    Just found something regarding my mp3 player. My problem was that Windows media player was not opening at all for me, but it has access to my iTunes library. Well, it finally opened and I can connect my mp3 player and sync it up. Now, just need a new set of headphones and an arm band or something for it so kt isn't in my way. Any suggestions?
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had the 32 gb old school ipod and the case I had was a silicone wrap-around with the velcro armband. It was nice but the ipod was heavy and the cord on my headphones (the ipod ones and the ones I bought) was short. When I was running and pumping my arms, the buds would get pulled out sometimes. No recommendation on a specific brand as far as armbands go-mine was a cheapy from walmart but it still worked fine up until my ipod died. I prefer a silicon/squishy earbud but I have weird shaped ears and the hard kinds hurt too much. After my old ipod died I just bought the smaller one that clips and I've had better luck since I can wear it on my collar and it gives the earbud cord more slack.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I had an iPod classic at one time, and the ear buds they had were okay, but not great. I didn't like how cheap they were, because sometimes they would get stuck in my ear while the rest of the cord came out. I need something like that, but made more durable so the end doesn't come off in my ear. The hard ear pieces hurt my ears too much to be practical to use too. I like the idea of a clip arm band to attach it to my collar so I won't risk getting them tangled around my arms.
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of free programs that will sync to an mp3 player. Search the interwebz for the programs. I know spotify will sync your music. Winamp should also be able to do it. Worst case scenario is you treat it like a flash drive, and copy the files to your mp3 player without the assistance of a program. I have an ipod, so I kind of take it all for granted, but I'm fairly certain iTunes is compatible with other players.

IF you can sync your player with your music, save for the hrm. If not, I would say ipod first. It's really about what your priorities are, though. I love having music when I go for a walk, and that's more important to me than knowing how many calories I'm burning, but hrm is a more practical tool. It's totally a preference thing. I think one can gauge whether or not s/he is getting his/her heart rate up, where keeping a basic tempo (or defeating boredom) can be more difficult.

As for music choices (not that it was asked): drum and bass, hip hop, and pop tend to keep me moving at a faster pace
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    So, I will be saving up for an HRM. I found a way to get music off my mp3 player onto my computer, and then get music from my computer to the mp3 player. It is syncing as I type this. The problem I had was that Windows Media Player was not opening to show any of the music in my library, which naturally means I could not put that music onto the mp3 player. For some reason, it just randomly started working again and allowed me to do it all. Just need a case for it now and some headphones and I will be all set!