Is anyone here doing a form of Low Carb?

Options
I have done Low Carb before although not a strict version. I eat all vegetables and fruits..and most any kind of meat. I lost weight really well but didnt stick with it. I am going to try this route again starting tomorrow. I loved eating this way and felt great...not sure why I stopped. I kept variety in my diet so I didnt get bored. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this...or is it just a dying out fad?

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a dying fad, but IMO, cutting carbs just helps you cut calories. Excessive simple carbs like sugar and white bread will pack the pounds on...and eliminating them from the diet really helps with fat loss. I'm not a big fan of the extremely low carb diets. I know more than a few people that have lost a lot on Atkins type diets and put the weight right back on once they re-introduced carbs.
  • NanaBeana
    Options
    Yes..thats why I wont do the strict Atkins program. Basically I want to cut out the sugars and unhealthy "whites" from my diet. I lost well and felt good when I ate this way.
  • lmlindseymarie
    Options
    Me! I'm on keto, and while it's a bit more effort for women than men (hooray, hormones), I've seen a lot of compelling stuff. I can recommend some recipe blogs and further info if you're stuck. I like Low Carb, because I don't feel like I'm having to give up anything. After about eight weeks, I've stopped craving most carbs like bread/chips/cookies/cake, etc. It was hard going at first, but -10 lbs in, I can't complain. :) Solidarity!
  • pfoten
    pfoten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated all forms of bread, rice, deserts and other carbs and it is working. So far I have lost 53 pounds or 25% of my weight. I am down to the last couple of pounds. I don't think I will reintroduce these foods when I reach my goal or I am certain I will regain the weight.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I have not purposely done low carb...but have tried to cut out the processed crap....which is usually high carb.
  • Bodypartner
    Options
    I'm trying hard to avoid wheat, and have def. cut down on carbs...but not on fruit (I've increased that amount, I think). I still eat brown rice cakes, had corn noodles tonight, love brown rice (though wow, it's got a lot of calories)...the weight isn't melting off, but I'm also being careful not to change anything too drastically. I'm only shooting for a pound a week or so...
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I eat low-carb (50-75g) and don't eat grains. I'm diabetic so, for me, it's not a fad
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    LOW CARBER HERE ALL THE WAY
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No grains, minimal sugar, minimal processed food and 65% fat here.

I don't eat low carb though, I eat adequate carb.

Which happens to be around 50g a day for me :)
  • NanaBeana
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! Diabetes runs in my family. I have never tested positive for it but want to try my best to avoid it. Most important..I just want to feel good!
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I tried doing low carb, but it made my weight loss stop for about a week and a half and I gave up. Maybe I gave up too quickly? I don't know, but I'm losing fine right now so I think the norm is better for me.
  • Julietecosse
    Options
    There is an excellent low carb forum, which can help you. Good luck.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread or pasta - mainly because if I start I cannot stop, so it's easier to eliminate them. I feel so much better for it too.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think the best bang for the buck in terms of fat loss is low carb. I'm on low carb and I really enjoy it. I love the way I feel when I eat. I love the way I feel after I eat. I love the freedom from carb addiction and how I can go long periods of time without eating with little effort (intermittent fasting).

Overall, I have much better control over my appetite on low carb with caloric restriction rather than calorie restricted moderate-high carb diet. The best part is I don't feel hungry all the time. That goes a long way to keeping on the diet.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Diabetic, so yep, I keep my carbs low. No "white" food.
  • Shopgirl9337
    Shopgirl9337 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing a strict low carb diet (started out as Atkins Induction) but now I've also removed gluten & corn with great results. Feel free to add me as a friend...
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Search the net for Primal or paleo. It is most certainly not a fad. And for many of us with blood sugar issues it is the only way to eat and remain healthy.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com