Anyone tried this? Low cal alternative to vodka

Options
I was in waitrose the other day and saw something called Jinro. I had heard of it before and heard it was low calorie (due in part to only being 25% abv) compared to other spirits. In the UK it can only be found in Waitrose atm I think, but its in the US too. I love the taste of it. It is slightly sweeter than vodka, but now I can enjoy a couple of 'vodka' and diet cokes when I have a hard day in work and not have to worry about it? Also it is the best selling spirit in the world, how are we only just seeing this in the UK now?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155377/Top-alcopops-Worlds-best-selling-booze-brands-revealed--Jinro-number-one.html

Has anyone else tried this?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    oh, soju.
    i'll stick to regular vodka.
    it has zero carbs.
    drinking carbs is just bad news.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Wait, if vodka has no carbs, protein, or fat, where do the calories come from?
  • leypb
    leypb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just like it as a treat if I have had a tough day. I know that I can have a drink or two and not have to worry :D
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    In my bid to drink less, I am hoping to try these next time I feel I need something a bit special
    Feel Good Non alcoholic cocktails.
    http://www.fdin.org.uk/2011/11/feel-good-drinks-launches-cocktail-range/

My problem is I have no turn off button once I've had a glass of wine! So for me, I'm better off just quitting
  • Doozer1978
    Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am so going to Waitrose today now! Thank you! 52 cals for a 25ml Smirnoff no more!!!!!!!! :-)
  • BordersGirl
    Options
    I've never heard of it and can't see it on the Waitrose web site. What's the nutritional info (cals / carbs)?
  • leypb
    Options
    Yeah sometimes it is best not to drink at all, but I know many of us enjoy a drink or two at the end of a night :) My MFP looks better at the end of every week now.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Yeah sometimes it is best not to drink at all, but I know many of us enjoy a drink or two at the end of a night :) My MFP looks better at the end of every week now.

Oh yes! A great spot for those who can limit their intake! :happy: :drinker:
  • leypb
    Options
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

i googled it for you.

"just because alcohol isn't a carbohydrate doesn't mean it doesn't contain calories. the chemical structure is almost identical, but one or more of the C-H parts in a carbohydrate is replaced by a C-O-H (although they're structurally similar, that O tends to change things electrostatically, so the chemistry is a bit different, but they can still be metabolised by the body as fuel)."

forgot the site i got that from, but here's something else
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • whitejessamine
    Options

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    having lived in South Korea, be very careful of soju hangovers they are evil!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'll stick to regular spirits. They're not that high in calories anyway and if you drink them with diet mixers, they don't add up to much. My friend lives in SK and she says Soju gives her terrifying hangovers.
  • suwonfish
    Options
    I'm living in Korea and I avoid soju like the plague even though it only costs a little over a buck a bottle. LOTS of bad chemicals in soju.

If you like it, more power to you but I don't believe it can beat vodka for alchohol / cals.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, but am willing to try it if I'll get my hands on that is :D