Natural weight loss/fat burning supplements?

Options
I'm currently looking for different supplements (powder or capsule form) to assist with fat burning/metabolism boosting.
I'm interested in trying acai berry and liquid chlorophyll. Does anyone know about their effectiveness for weight loss?
I currently take bee pollen granules, psyllium husk, zinc, vitamin d, iron, vitamin c, krill oil, flaxseed oil and spirulina.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry, fat burners / metabolism boosters are the products of a marketing department's imagination.

Most of them are simply caffeine which will, temporarily, make you feel more energetic but the only real, long term way to boost your metabolism is through exercise (ie increase lean muscle mass).
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    You don't believe in the power of natural foods on the body? I'm not talking synthetic fat burners here. I'm talking completely natural products full of antioxidants, vitamins and omegas.
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brian. Not sure where you are from but a group experts looked at 461 studies that the likes of Lucozade, whey protein and trainers that the lieks of Nike and Adidas make. They found that only 3 had any credible claims. Basically, the best way to raise metabolism, lose wight and build musclke is to eat correctly, withj teh right proportions of carbs, protein, fat and the right sugar, from fruit. Exercising will alos hjelp kick your metabolism if you do some HIIT trinaing, (High Intensity Intervals Traing). You can work hard in less time and shred fat.

Stay away from anything that is manufactured and designed for "weight loss". Get all that from natural food and exercise.

Someone once told me that if you oick something upo un the supermarket and its ingrediants contain stuff you would never cook with (insert big scientific name here), then put it back . Its more than likely laden with salt or sugar.

Hope that helps.

Al
  • razz02
    razz02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I ve worked with supplements for many years as a legal expert re. marketing of food and drugs for the government in connection with EFSA (european food safety authority). I have read many investigations and scientific findings of supplements especially fatburners. There are NO scientific support for any of the claims of fatburning effects whatsoever, omega 3, CLA, greentea, etc. But of course one should not underestimate the placebo effect :)! You should also be aware of all the dangers of supplements. Supplements purchased from not so serious sellers can include things like glue and dirt. The supplement industry is not very well regulated so be careful.

All the sellers claim that their products are "natural" its a cornerstone of the selling arguements. In my opinion raw veggies and fruits are really good fatburners and raises the metabolism like crazy : )
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You don't believe in the power of natural foods on the body? I'm not talking synthetic fat burners here. I'm talking completely natural products full of antioxidants, vitamins and omegas.
    Forget all "Natural PRODUCTS" and eat natural FOODS. You want a natural product full of antioxidants and vitamins? Try a grapefruit. There is no need to purchase anything in pill/powder form.
  • jmhurley87
    Options
    In the past ive tried every tablet and powder out there and non worked. Im currently taking maca powder its revolting but helps with my hormone imbalance and energy and its proved me to work, but its not a weight loss suppliment. It just regulates your body hormones so your body does what its meant to do. so your either lose weight if you REALLY need it or make you put on weight if your too thin... For me its balanced everything out and i have better skin and energy
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    Forget all "Natural PRODUCTS" and eat natural FOODS. You want a natural product full of antioxidants and vitamins? Try a grapefruit. There is no need to purchase anything in pill/powder form.

My diet is already predominantly protein and vegetables. You can't buy chlorophyll or acai berry in food form, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    In the past ive tried every tablet and powder out there and non worked. Im currently taking maca powder its revolting but helps with my hormone imbalance and energy and its proved me to work, but its not a weight loss suppliment. It just regulates your body hormones so your body does what its meant to do. so your either lose weight if you REALLY need it or make you put on weight if your too thin... For me its balanced everything out and i have better skin and energy
    Thank you! I'll definitely look into that.
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    I ve worked with supplements for many years as a legal expert re. marketing of food and drugs for the government in connection with EFSA (european food safety authority). I have read many investigations and scientific findings of supplements especially fatburners. There are NO scientific support for any of the claims of fatburning effects whatsoever, omega 3, CLA, greentea, etc. But of course one should not underestimate the placebo effect :)! You should also be aware of all the dangers of supplements. Supplements purchased from not so serious sellers can include things like glue and dirt. The supplement industry is not very well regulated so be careful.

All the sellers claim that their products are "natural" its a cornerstone of the selling arguements. In my opinion raw veggies and fruits are really good fatburners and raises the metabolism like crazy : )

I would never purchase from anywhere but my local health food store, so not to worry! I already have a very healthy diet, but I try and limit my fruit intake due to the sugars. I just wanted to supplement my diet too is all.
  • kasia2133
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I think you need some food rather than fat burning supplements (if that's you on the profile picture). I don't mean to be rude - I'm sure a BMI calculator will tell you the same.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    [
    My diet is already predominantly protein and vegetables. You can't buy chlorophyll or acai berry in food form, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

Why would you want to eat chlorophyll? You gonna try photosynthesise? ;)

Surely any green leaf would contain chlorophyll. And as for acai Berries, there must be somewhere you can buy the actual berries, or at least the juice?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

You can get everything found in the acai at a fraction of the cost by eating blueberries. I'm not sure what you mean by "the power of natural foods". Chlorophyll is found in green leafy vegetables, olives etc - you don't need supplements.

There are foods rich in anti-oxidants and vitamins and by all means enjoy them but as to being fat burners and metabolism boosters, sorry that's hype.
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I think you need some food rather than fat burning supplements (if that's you on the profile picture). I don't mean to be rude - I'm sure a BMI calculator will tell you the same.

Actually, I do find that rude. You may not like the way I look, but that doesn't give you the right to comment on it. BMI doesn't account for everything.
  • mystry11
    mystry11 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi yah I had a look into leproxenal tablets even blogged about it in diet and weight loss help needed I don't think I am going to take them just feel its going to waste my money so gonna take care of my diet and eating the natural way but I would like to say that you look fantastic already and don't understand why u want to take pills I don't eat breakfast prefer to take it I drink form using powder supplements but I eat the rest of my meals just look after you don't get fooled by the flash labels and people saying it worked for them I never meet them so do they exist take care k
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    A couple of studies have shown green tea to slightly raise metabolic rate.

But slightly is the key work, iirc it was about 5% or less and it was quite a bit dose. Actually just caffeine is more effective but you aren't going to notice a huge difference from either.
  • HealthBarbie
    Options
    Black tea is a natural fat burner
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I started taking green tea a few years ago and find that it helps me just overall feel better, have more engergy. There is caffeine in it but not so much that it sickens you.

I tried a straight up diet pill once, I forget what it was called. But it had a ton of caffiene in it (like 4X as much as a coffee) and made me really, really sick. Like unable to function level sick.
  • flavialee
    Options
    What do you think about BioBURN Fat Burning supplement? http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/new-bioburn-natural-fat-burner_1_177628.html
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Not every thing you find at a health food store is safe. Even they sell what people will buy to make a profit. I don't know why some people think antioxidants help burn fat because that isn't there job.

As others have mentioned, green tea is really the only thing that has really shown any slight effect. Also, it is the tea itself, not green tea pills which have shown nothing.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Basically what has been said before. There's no reason to suppliment. Looking around, I see you're a vegetarian, as long as you're getting a wide variety of fruits and veggies there's no reason to suppliment. Blueberries are surprisingly low in sugar and calories, so don't shy away from them just because you're sugar shy. Drink some green tea, even if if doesn't really do anything, I find sitting back with a cup of tea can feel a little indulgent. I partciularly like to buy loose tea and use cages or baskets instead of tea bags, I don't know why.

The best way I've found to reduce the appearance of fat deposits on my body is through a combination of lifting heavy, cardio, and balancing macros.