Guilt/Shame over eating

Options
Totally ruined my day yesterday. I worked all morning, shopped all afternoon, then brought home food for supper.. fried chicken!

Arg, lately I am really feel terrible when I eat bad. Not physically (well, yea that too lol) but mentally Im beating myself up. I wasn't

like that months ago. Is that good or bad? :frown: I don't want to become obsessed with eating and counting and it turn into

something bad.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this, or feels the same way..

Replies

• Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I know I shouldn't, but I'm in the mindset that I'm not ready to indulge for fear of falling back into my old ways. Don't beat yourself up, but I think it's good that you realize you ate badly. You didn't think that way before, so that's a good thing!

Oh, today is another day.....make it count!!!
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up it's ok to yummy foods occasionally it's just some fried chicken. It sounds really yummy and it probably was.

I just skipped gym for 2 days and slept for 15 hours instead, even though I need to study and clean my house, neither of which I've done. If anyone should be beating themselves up it's me.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it is normal and perfectly ok not to be happy with oneself when one does something they know they shouldn't. I mean ... you did, right? That's what shame and guilt is for. It is not some desease but normal reaction to doing wrong things and overeating when you are dieting is a wrong thing to do. Instead of fighting this feeling use it for your own benefit. You did something wrong. It makes you feel bad. You decide not to do it again. End of story.
    Having said that, beating yourself up is not a good thing either. It is not productive at all and does not push you forward. But a bit of shame is nothing wrong.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That was yesterday. It's hard to do, I know, but just let it go. It can't be changed, it is what is. Just don't waste time thinking about it anymore. As for telling yourself that you won't do it again, don't do that either. You WILL do it again someday. The thing is, it's all okay just so long as you recognize those days for what they are and don't give them power over you. Focus on the positive changes you have made. Focus on your goal.

Maybe this will help: If a perfect stranger on this site had done that, wouldn't you be forgiving? Treat yourself with the same kindness you would treat a perfect stranger. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Amfro
    Amfro Posts: 12
    Options
    Feelin ya hun, i'm doin it too. It's depressing to look at it as a failure. As long as it's only every once in a while, it's more of a treat than a let down. :-)
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    we all have off days, or days we crave bad food. I use to give into these cravings all the time... however now I just push those thoughts aside and drink a big glass of water and make some healthy food. After I eat the good food those cravings always subside, well of course they do as I am no longer hungry!

however, I do plan to have a treat in my routine. Like tomorrow is my birthday and I have eaten clean for ages, so I am going to treat myself to some champagne, and birthday cake. I will however work for it! Yup thats right I will be going to the gym like any other Monday and I will train hard. I know I'll be eating some goodies, but if you do the work for it you don't feel as guilty. However I don't plan on eating unhealthily for quite some time after. We all work hard! And I have always enjoyed food, and I still do, in moderation :) Just remember you can achieve your goals.......

If you have never failed in life, thats because you have never tried
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great words and advice. It probably doesn't help that I have OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I easily dwell on small matters. Im scared of creating an eating disorder because Im obsessive like that.. :\
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I think it is SO important NOT to feel that way. You really want to have a healthy relationship with food.
    If you really want a healthy life, it is totally okay to have days when you eat things you do not normally eat.

Sometimes you just need a mental break from thinking about everything you put in your body also. I am actually
    doing that this weekend, I just needed to chill and be a "normal" person for a few days.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I think we all should build in splurg meals and or days into our lifestyle plans. Let's face it ..life without fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and cupcakes is not worth living. haha. It is eating it all the time and getting fat that is wrong. But once a week or every two weeks? why not have a treat...and skip the beating yourself up. I think that devil on our shoulder does that to break our spirit so we quit for good.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about having fried chicken...just log it. IMO, if I didn't have "bad" food every so often I think I would go a little nutty! Your doing great BTW so don't sweat it and keep on moving forward.