floppy underarms?

Options
I have been lifting hand weights at night while watching tv. Has only been a few weeks. Any suggestions for what kind of lifts i can do to help tone those up? Explain it like im dumb, so i understand, lol. Thanks.

Replies

• charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been using a DVD that uses weights to sculpt the arms. When you come down with the weights from a curl be sure to push it back - that's to tone the back of the arms. I can see a difference in my arms - and, that's always been a problem area for me.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for woman it's the hardest place to completely get rid of fat! Try not to get too frustrated. You can do tricep dips, push ups, tricep extensions, skull crushers. My understanding Is to not do the same muscle group two days in a row. Every other is better. You have to give muscles a day to rest. Make sure the day you do the muscle, that you fatigue it. Hope this helps!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Those are your triceps, I believe.

2 exercises that might help:
    1. put a weight in each hand or one heavier one in both hands together. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart or one foot out in front if you need more stability. Hold your hands with the weights straight over your head, elbows close to your head. Keeping elbows in place (don't let them flop outwards), lower your hands behind your head, then lift them. This is one rep. Do 8-12 reps. If you can do more than 8-12 reps before your triceps start burning, you need heavier weights.

2. Lay on the floor, holding weights (one heavier or two lighter). Extend hands over your face, arms straight. Again, keeping elbows in place, drop hands slowly as if you are laying the weights on your forehead. Straighten. Again, that is one rep. Do 8-12...again muscles should be protesting by then!

You also might want to try googling, "triceps exercises". I know there are more, those are the first two that came to mind. I did them both at my exercise class yesterday!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Lowering my body fat and add muscles really made a big difference on that spot. Also doing hundreds of rep at low weight will not really do that much difference.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting hand weights at night while watching tv. Has only been a few weeks. Any suggestions for what kind of lifts i can do to help tone those up? Explain it like im dumb, so i understand, lol. Thanks.

Continue to lose weight, and increase your lifting. Focus on pressing movements to improve muscle mass in triceps.
  • bootcampabs
    Options
    Take the next 2 weeks out of your life and lift weight for that area. Dont sit there and lift light weights while watching TV. Get a weight you can only lift 8 or 10 times for 4 sets. Do 3 different exercises. Thats a total of 12 sets of 8-10 repetitions per set. Thats 12 sets divided by 3 different exercises. For each exercise I want you to do 4 sets of 8-10 reps. You need to really wake those triceps up. They'll get super tight if you lift heavy enough. That light weight stuff you're doing isn't doing anything, you're wasting your time.
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue - and i agree that you can't target any one area. however, i have added pushups (i'm doing wall pushups for various reasons) to my day (i do 100 a day right now, not all at once) and lifting dumbbells - and i am noticing my arms are beginning to tone up quite nicely. there is still some 'flop' but the rest of my arm is looking so much better - i'm just gonna keep doing what i'm doing and see. can you do any kind of pushup at all? i totally didn't think i could but googled 'wall pushups' and got started.

good luck! :)
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things that has helped me so far in that area is doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's a combination workout of cardio and strength and abs, and it only takes 20 minutes. I also did a couple strength training challenges and I've been doing a boxing class for a month but the 30 day shred has made by far the biggest difference in my arms in only a week.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I believe the "shake weight" is meant to do that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTCs2HYHWw

Not that I'd ever buy one though!
  • bootcampabs
    Options
    In other words, your workout would look something like this.

4 SETS of a weight heavy enough to only lift 8 to 10 times. Lift it 8-10 times, rest 45 seconds to a minute, then do another set of 8 to 10 times/reps. DO 4 SETS. THAT IS ONE EXERCISE.

Pick 3 more tricep exercises and do 4 sets of each exercise. Each set will contain the 8-10 reps.

Dumbbell Kickbacks: 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions.
    Skull Crushers: 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions.
    Tricep Extensions: 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions.
  • stacey5971
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is what i was looking for. I also swim during the week for my regular exercise. The hand weights are just something extra. I like the wall push up idea. I'm going to check that out too. Thanks.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Lowering my body fat and add muscles really made a big difference on that spot. Also doing hundreds of rep at low weight will not really do that much difference.

^^^^This. The flab is excess bodyfat. For women it is one of the last places to leave.