Are you 50?

Options
sevfam
sevfam Posts: 76 Member
I am and I set a goal to be a certain weight by my 50th birthday, which I did. But the last few months Ive gone right back to being lazy and I can feel the weight coming back on.

Im not happy with myself and would love to have some support of people my age. But really any age! I feel that people of the same age have more of the same struggles.

I love people who post everyday. Not just log in. If you would like to be my friend, help motivate each other and get back in shape, add me!!

Thanks!

Replies

• dogluvrra
    dogluvrra Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have the same goal since I'm felling the 50 burn. So I'm right there with you.
  • psse01
    psse01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's scary how much faster the weight comes on and how much slooower it comes off, the older I get. It does get a bit depressing. I think the one thing that is going to make a difference this time is the tracking of my food. I was SO off on some things I'm ashamed to admit it even to myself. We can do this!!
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes we can...The tacking of the food is what worked for me. You think your eating right till you see the calories! Lots of water for me today.
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 50's...have lostb20 since Feb and have 3 to go.

Open diary...active logger.

Feel free to add me.
  • Zoggy3333
    Zoggy3333 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I adopted MFP in Feb of this year. I will be 50 on 11/21/12. I am anxious for some odd reason. I have lost 19lbs so far and am happy about this. I do realize this is all a process but somedays are just so hard to stay motivated. Fatting food tastes soooo good and I do give in to the cravings.

On occasion I do enjoy a bloody mary before bedtime as well. Why am I responding to this? I am not sure. I am committed for the long term. I do not want to be in my 60's and 70's with more health problems than I need to have.

Thanks for letting me vent.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in February and I would like to be at my goal weight by then. I log in every day, log all food and exercise, and support my pals. I'll send you a friend request! :)
  • margylevin
    margylevin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 last September, so yeh, I will be 51 in September. Can't stand the way I look right now. Joined MFP 4 months ago and stopped logging after a week or so. I'm back on now. Gained a few more pounds in the four months, but am losing a little bit in this first week. Feel free to add me as a friend. I live in MA, musician and teacher, no kids, husband and three dogs.
  • Cdufford
    Cdufford Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I turn 51 in a couple of days. Last year, I gained 12 lbs, so with that and the 5 lbs I already needed to lose I started out in January with 17 lbs to lose! I never had so much trouble controlling my weight before, I hadnt weighed that much since my youngest was born 21 years ago. It has been a real struggle, but MFP is really helping me. I am down 7 lbs and feeling much better. I've begun to realize that it isnt so much about the number on the scale, but how I feel. Eating healthy and exercising is making me feel great, regardless of my weight.

Best advice ... Be honest with your food diary, and pay attention to it. If you go 1100 calories over one day, dont get depressed and skip that day. Enter it honestly and recognize that doing that will help you anyway. It really helps to have every day accounted for. I also like to track my weight every day. Sure it fluctuates a lot day to day, but it helps to understand my trends.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    Im 55 on September 11, :laugh:
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was 51 in May. I DO find it harder to lose the weight now that I am older...and I also find that I have weight in places I never had it before! I was always bottom heavy, didnt have too much of a stomach. Now I have a tire!! And back fat!! And then there's all the hormonal nonsense! Its now easy...and I still have about 50 lbs to lose....but I just keep hanging in there! I LOVE the MFP site and I LOVE my FitBit!! I have logged in faithfully for the past 20 days and I plan to continue doing so...so feel free to add me if you like!
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in October. I posed the question of what to do post menopause when the metabolism stops to a weight loss doctor. I didn't like his answer...he said that you have to up your exercise to 300 minutes a week to combat the metabolism...

So, I'm really working hard towards that goal.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and would love to help you in your journey! Feel free to add me if you want. There ae a bunch of us who support each other daily.
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I also am 50 and I would love to be your weight buddy. The only problem is I am going on vacation tomorrow and won't be back until Friday, but on Friday I am good to go. I have 25 to lose. I have did good in th past but the last 6 months I have put the weight back on. Just want it to go off and stay off.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and will add you! :)
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and the weight started creeping up on me when I turned 48 and I just ignored it. Unfortunately now I have about 60 lbs to shed. I am an active logger and keep my food diary open. Feel free to add me. We can support each other!
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    No but I wish I was!

aged 50 with 15 years experience.

lol

:drinker:
  • venusinprogress
    venusinprogress Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can add me.

My goal was to lose 58lbs from June to Jan 15, 2013, my 50th birthday. I am up and down, lost 8lbs, put 5lbs back on. Lost 1 stone, put 7 lbs back on. The only thing that I can think of is that my net cals have been too low, walking ( which is second nature - I can walk for miles with no discomfort) which I count in my burn cals, but dont know whether I should cut them out altogether cos if my body does not burn the walking cals as it would like running or swimming, then that is a waste of time. Ive been ill, I I have Fibromyalgia and have not worked on anything too strenuus but I'm planning to start tmro. I am currently at 198.8 lbs so I need to lose 51 lbs by then. Thats 20 weeks @ 2.55 lbs per week. I am going to have to change my goals again and start the couch25k plan. The jogging might kickstart my metabolism to start burning cals properly. What do you think?
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and losing weight at this age is hard. As of yesterday, I lost 20lbs this month. I have been adding more exercise each day. That is difficult for me because I have sciatica (right side of my back) and do not have full feeling in my foot. The more I exercise, the more it comes back.

Just keep at it and you will be able to maintain all the progress that you made.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am 52 will be 53 on Tuesday, I set different little mini goals to keep me motivated, Add me if u like, but I also love my gym and the friends that I have made there, so I have no problem when it time to go.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months into my 50th year...I had goals at 30,35,40,45 and 50...I didn't make any of those goals. So now for 51 I have a goal and this time I'm going to make that goal and I'm going to kick that goals butt all over Illinois...add me and let's kick some butt